Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've got offers to study English with Nottingham Uni and Sports science at Exeter Uni. At the moment I'm equally interested in studying English and Sports, both Universities have good sporting societies and beautiful campuses, so the quality of the University and the course is what I think will be the deciding factor to which offer I'm going to accept. So, which Uni should I choose?

Btw, as I'm Norwegian, I'm not very familiar with the Universities apart from what I have read online and been told through the organisation I'm travelling with. Any tips, input, experience etc would be highly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I think Nottingham is livelier and has more of a party atmosphere. The town is bigger than Exeter.

As a uni Exeter is more traditional and there might be more conservative types there. I know the English course at Nottingham is really strong but can't tell you anything about sports science at Exeter.

Both are considered really high-quality unis so I think the course should be the deciding factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edulcorante)
    I think Nottingham is livelier and has more of a party atmosphere. The town is bigger than Exeter.

As a uni Exeter is more traditional and there might be more conservative types there. I know the English course at Nottingham is really strong but can't tell you anything about sports science at Exeter.

Both are considered really high-quality unis so I think the course should be the deciding factor.
    Thank you for leaving a reply. This is the kind of information you don't get through brochures and the internet What do you mean by Exeter being conservative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mshaga94)
    Thank you for leaving a reply. This is the kind of information you don't get through brochures and the internet What do you mean by Exeter being conservative?
    Full disclosure: I don't have first- hand knowledge of either uni and I'm speaking on the basis of general impressions and my own conclusions based on people I know who go or have gone there.

My impression that Exeter is quite conservative is based on a couple of things. It has an image as being one of the unis people choose as an alternative if they miss out on an Oxbridge offer, meaning that the students there may tend to be quite well off and relatively high achievers academically. Exeter often comes quite high on lists of unis with the highest proportion of students from independent schools (i.e. fee-paying schools that are more likely to be attended by well-off people). Also Exeter is a small city with not so much going on compared to somewhere like Nottingham, so students going there will tend to be a little more focused on studying than socializing (but of course they're students, so they'll still be doing a lot of socializing).

By using the term conservative I didn't mean I think people there would all be politically conservative or anything like that. I guess I meant that people will tend to be quite calm and study-focused there. Some people might find that boring and crave more stimulation, whereas others will thrive in that environment.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Thank you so much for sharing 😊

Exeter is attended by a lot of posh people then? Do you personally think it might be harder to make friends etc if one comes from an average family?

I'll keep your comments in mind 😊

ReputationRep:
    It is true that Exeter is known for having quite a high proportion of "posh" people, and anecdotal evidence I've seen here and there supports that.

However, I wouldn't take that as a reason not to go somewhere. People tend to make great friends at uni wherever they go. Whether it's Nottingham or Exeter, you'll meet like-minded people and also people from different backgrounds to you, who will help to widen your perspective on life. Also, I don't think posh people are any harder to make friends with than other people.

My feeling is that one of the beauties of uni life is that you get to meet people from different backgrounds to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.