Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice/suggestions. I am a Canadian, did my undergrad from the University of Toronto and have worked at a world-leading consulting firm for a few years after graduating. I am interested in pursuing law (2 year LLB) from the UK because I want the international experience. I don't mind doing conversion exams/Canadian LLM upon my return. But what would you guys suggest are the best options from below:

University of Birmingham
    University of Leeds
    University of Southampton
    University of York
    University of Exeter

My first choice is University of Bristol but if I don't get accepted can anyone recommend the best choices from above (and not so good ones) and/or rank based on prestige/education quality/student life/? How does University of Birmingham fare?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student too and I applied for Undergrad Law (3 year LLB). Of your Uni's that you mentioned I visited Birmingham, Leeds and York in October 2016.

Birmingham: Loved the campus and the teaching staff are top notch. The campus is great because it's secluded in the sense that you get a campus feel, but after an 8 minute train ride you're back in the city. I have friends in the course now and they really feel the calibre of the professors and pretty much everyone involved is of a very high quality. I wanted Birmingham as my first choice as it's one of the Uni's that is recognised for Law, where I am living currently. It's a redbrick, Sutton13 school too meaning it's super well established in the U.K. I have an unconditional from them now and will be starting the programme this year.

Leeds: Although it had a nice campus (not as nice as Birmingham) I personally found the depth and quality of the Law programme to be lacking. When I met with one of the admissions tutors she was much colder tone and it seemed like the boring dry nature of Law was more apparent there. Furthermore it's ranking is not as good for Birmingham if you believe in that.

York: I am not sure for Post grad, but for Undergrad, York uses a PLB (Problem Based Learning) approach to teach Law. I believe it was created by a professor in McGill for Medicine and they're using it for Law. An interview is also required to see if you're suitable enough for learning the PLB way. I personally felt PLB wasnt the best way to read Law because you'll be able to arrive at conclusions in ways which may not be the correct one. The usage of Legal skills would be diminished in my opinion. The Law campus is really nice. Very modern and large. Similar to UBC or UofT Missagua. Do note it's top 10 Law schools in the U.K. if I'm not wrong.

Tl,dr: i felt Birmingham was the best for my needs and I also believe in rankings and it's a right up there with the best. The whole concept of being in the UK's second largest city is important too for a profession like Law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.