Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For Brits, Monarchy is the Libertarian Choice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Libertarians of TSR, thoughts on this?

https://beinglibertarian.com/brits-m...tarian-choice/

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I agree. I've been saying this for years.

The Crown is an important apolitical authority above government, there to protect the interests of the Realm and ensure the elected powers are functioning properly. It isn't tainted by political actors elected by the plebs; it has no political agenda and no ability to meddle with policy.

Although there doesn't necessarily need to be a Royal Family per se. There just needs to be a corporation sole to fill the responsibility. Perhaps people would take it more seriously without the fancy hats and pudgy babies. Then again, who doesn't love the fancy royal imagery and regalia?

In my opinion, there should be greater recognition and appreciation of the Crown's powers and responsibilities, particularly among libertarians.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    This is only true because Queen Liz is on the throne. If we had Charles instead, the chances of the head of state remaining an apolitical figurehead would drop dramatically. There's also plenty of historical (i.e. pre-Liz) examples of a king meddling in UK political affairs.

Overall I think the royals probably do more good than harm, but the system we have now is definitely not invulnerable to political bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)

it has no political agenda

Other than protecting the interests of the realm, which can be made to mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    So name an action taken by a recent monarch that has protected the interests of the realm from the tyranny of government.

Theresa May is passing the snoopers charter and this restricts our liberties, if we appeal to Her Majesty the Queen will she protect us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    So name an action taken by a recent monarch that has protected the interests of the realm from the tyranny of government.

Theresa May is passing the snoopers charter and this restricts our liberties, if we appeal to Her Majesty the Queen will she protect us.
    Not the Queen specifically, but the article alludes to the aristocracy in general toward the end. It's worth noting that the Lord's have already kept the Surveillance Bill out of law once, I believe it was toward the end of the last parliament.

ReputationRep:
    The writing is illegible

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    We already have that

ReputationRep:
    I support mixed government and classical republicanism. There needs to be a degree of undemocratic power to prevent the tyranny of the majority and the descent into mob rule.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I am anti-monarchy but rather than get into that I would like to point out the fact that the queen has a very small amount of power she can't stop laws being enacted yes she has to sign them but that doesn't mean she has a choice.

ReputationRep:
    This is an appalling argument and it shows the intellectual rot of monarchists. On the one hand they argue that the monarchy limits the power of politicians and in doing so protects us from dictatorship and on the other they defend the institution by saying it's ceremonial and that she has no real power.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.