V1090 – GCSE Resits Bill 2016 (Second Reading)

Watch
Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (21)
42%
On the contrary, No (23)
46%
Abstain (6)
12%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
V1090 – GCSE Resits Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative Party
A

BILL

TO

make students resit their GCSE Maths and/or GCSE English exams at least once, if they do not achieve a good pass.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions
(1) A good pass is when a student achieves a grade 5 or higher in their GCSE exam.

2 Situations in which the student must resit
(1) If a student does not achieve a good pass in their GCSE English and/or GCSE Maths exam, they must resit the exam at least once.
a. This is done at the school's expense.

3 Situations in which a resit is optional
(1) If a student does not achieve a good pass in their first resit.
a. If the student decides to resit, this will be done at the student's expense.
(2) If the student is aged 18 or over.
a. If the student decides to resit, this will be done at the student's expense.

4 Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act shall come into force on 1st September 2017.
(2) This Act may be cited as the GCSE Resits Act 2016.
(3) This Act extends to England.

Notes:

By making students resit their exam only once, it will save schools money but it will also give the students a choice to either move on if they fail their first resit or to try again.

We should aim for everyone to achieve a good pass, which is why we should make people resit their exam once if they failed it the first time. But then some students get locked into a cycle of failing their exams, some cannot pass despite the help they get. Therefore, resits shouldn't be compulsory if a student has resat the exam once already.

Estimated savings for DoE = £7.2m

Sources

source 1 and source 2
AQA fees
OCR fees
Edexcel fees

Changes for the division:
  • Savings added in the notes section.

username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do not believe the costs when calculations are not given for members to scrutinise.
ATW1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nobody should be made to resit an exam against their will. What is this, North Korea?
username1751857
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I do not believe the costs when calculations are not given for members to scrutinise.
Percentage of students who failed their resit was calculated for both English and Maths was calculated and multiplied by the number of students who resat English and Maths. This gave the number of students who would have to resit again under the status quo.

The average cost of entry fees were calculated for each subject across the three main exam boards AQA, Edexcel and OCR. These were then multiplied by the number of students who would have to resit again under the status quo = £7.2m.

I really hope I get full marks from you - hard to please!
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's grade 5 equivalent to in the letters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andy98)
What's grade 5 equivalent to in the letters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could say grade 5 is equal to a C. But grade 5 is slightly higher than a C.

Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)

So basically 5 is that C where you're ticked off that you were like a mark off a B?

Sounds to me like this basically says "in those subjects where you needed a C, you now need to get a C."

I dunno, I mean I could understand jumping straight to the B because that's an actual grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

A C being a "good pass" says everything about this country, it's not long since that was considered just passing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ATW1)
Nobody should be made to resit an exam against their will. What is this, North Korea?
The status quo currently makes people resit until they achieve a good pass. This bill is a great improvement from the status quo and it will save money for the DoE and if a student does not achieve a good pass they get to choose what they want to do next.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Total abolition of compulsory resits would be better, but I guess this will have to do for now
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want compulsory re-sits to be banned instead.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good to see the Liberals continuing their indecisive streak.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
there should be no compulsory resit, but this in an improvement.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by frankielogue)
there should be no compulsory resit, but this in an improvement.
May I ask why you abstained if you think it's an improvement?
username1621561
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The majority of places already do this (at least that I know of)

I'm not a fan of compulsory resits
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DanE1998)
The majority of places already do this (at least that I know of)

I'm not a fan of compulsory resits
This is an improvement from the status quo as aforementioned. It gives the students who didn't achieve a good pass in their resit a choice rather than forcing them to resit again. This bill also saves money for the DoE.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May I ask why you abstained if you think it's an improvement?
because i would prefer to abolish resits, so i can’t fully put support my support towards this bill
username1621561
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is an improvement from the status quo as aforementioned. It gives the students who didn't achieve a good pass in their resit a choice rather than forcing them to resit again. This bill also saves money for the DoE.
I don't see how this improves the status quo?

It doesn't give them a choice because they still have to resit once? And a second rest is usually student funded anyway?
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by frankielogue)
because i would prefer to abolish resits, so i can’t fully put support my support towards this bill
Fair enough - I respect your vote.

(Original post by DanE1998)
I don't see how this improves the status quo?
The status quo makes students resit until they achieve a good pass. With this bill, regardless of what grade you get, you will not be forced to take another resit if you have already resat an exam. This is a great improvement from the status quo, this bill is working it's way to giving students who did not achieve a good pass in their compulsory resit more freedom.

It doesn't give them a choice because they still have to resit once? And a second rest is usually student funded anyway?
It gives them a choice after their compulsory resit - I made sure I mentioned after, the wording is important. The second resit is not student funded for GCSE English and Maths.
username2768016
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I personally feel that we should be (at least) promoting Functional Skills qualifications where a student is unable to pass GCSE maths/English. Other than that I support the principle of abolishing compulsory 2nd resits, so I have voted abstain on this
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads