Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1090 – GCSE Resits Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    42.00%
    On the contrary, No
    46.00%
    Abstain
    12.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    V1090 – GCSE Resits Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative Party
    A

BILL

TO

make students resit their GCSE Maths and/or GCSE English exams at least once, if they do not achieve a good pass.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions
    (1) A good pass is when a student achieves a grade 5 or higher in their GCSE exam.

2 Situations in which the student must resit
    (1) If a student does not achieve a good pass in their GCSE English and/or GCSE Maths exam, they must resit the exam at least once.
    a. This is done at the school's expense.

3 Situations in which a resit is optional
    (1) If a student does not achieve a good pass in their first resit.
    a. If the student decides to resit, this will be done at the student's expense.
    (2) If the student is aged 18 or over.
    a. If the student decides to resit, this will be done at the student's expense.

4 Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act shall come into force on 1st September 2017.
    (2) This Act may be cited as the GCSE Resits Act 2016.
    (3) This Act extends to England.

Notes:

By making students resit their exam only once, it will save schools money but it will also give the students a choice to either move on if they fail their first resit or to try again.

We should aim for everyone to achieve a good pass, which is why we should make people resit their exam once if they failed it the first time. But then some students get locked into a cycle of failing their exams, some cannot pass despite the help they get. Therefore, resits shouldn't be compulsory if a student has resat the exam once already.

Estimated savings for DoE = £7.2m

Sources

source 1 and source 2
    AQA fees
    OCR fees
    Edexcel fees

Changes for the division:
    • Savings added in the notes section.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe the costs when calculations are not given for members to scrutinise.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody should be made to resit an exam against their will. What is this, North Korea?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I do not believe the costs when calculations are not given for members to scrutinise.
    Percentage of students who failed their resit was calculated for both English and Maths was calculated and multiplied by the number of students who resat English and Maths. This gave the number of students who would have to resit again under the status quo.

The average cost of entry fees were calculated for each subject across the three main exam boards AQA, Edexcel and OCR. These were then multiplied by the number of students who would have to resit again under the status quo = £7.2m.

I really hope I get full marks from you - hard to please!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What's grade 5 equivalent to in the letters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    What's grade 5 equivalent to in the letters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could say grade 5 is equal to a C. But grade 5 is slightly higher than a C.

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)

So basically 5 is that C where you're ticked off that you were like a mark off a B?

Sounds to me like this basically says "in those subjects where you needed a C, you now need to get a C."

I dunno, I mean I could understand jumping straight to the B because that's an actual grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

A C being a "good pass" says everything about this country, it's not long since that was considered just passing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    Nobody should be made to resit an exam against their will. What is this, North Korea?
    The status quo currently makes people resit until they achieve a good pass. This bill is a great improvement from the status quo and it will save money for the DoE and if a student does not achieve a good pass they get to choose what they want to do next.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Total abolition of compulsory resits would be better, but I guess this will have to do for now

ReputationRep:
    I want compulsory re-sits to be banned instead.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Good to see the Liberals continuing their indecisive streak.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    there should be no compulsory resit, but this in an improvement.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    there should be no compulsory resit, but this in an improvement.
    May I ask why you abstained if you think it's an improvement?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The majority of places already do this (at least that I know of)

I'm not a fan of compulsory resits
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    The majority of places already do this (at least that I know of)

I'm not a fan of compulsory resits
    This is an improvement from the status quo as aforementioned. It gives the students who didn't achieve a good pass in their resit a choice rather than forcing them to resit again. This bill also saves money for the DoE.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why you abstained if you think it's an improvement?
    because i would prefer to abolish resits, so i can’t fully put support my support towards this bill
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This is an improvement from the status quo as aforementioned. It gives the students who didn't achieve a good pass in their resit a choice rather than forcing them to resit again. This bill also saves money for the DoE.
    I don't see how this improves the status quo?

It doesn't give them a choice because they still have to resit once? And a second rest is usually student funded anyway?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    because i would prefer to abolish resits, so i can’t fully put support my support towards this bill
    Fair enough - I respect your vote.

(Original post by DanE1998)
    I don't see how this improves the status quo?
    The status quo makes students resit until they achieve a good pass. With this bill, regardless of what grade you get, you will not be forced to take another resit if you have already resat an exam. This is a great improvement from the status quo, this bill is working it's way to giving students who did not achieve a good pass in their compulsory resit more freedom.

It doesn't give them a choice because they still have to resit once? And a second rest is usually student funded anyway?
    It gives them a choice after their compulsory resit - I made sure I mentioned after, the wording is important. The second resit is not student funded for GCSE English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel that we should be (at least) promoting Functional Skills qualifications where a student is unable to pass GCSE maths/English. Other than that I support the principle of abolishing compulsory 2nd resits, so I have voted abstain on this

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.