Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1090 – GCSE Resits Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    42.00%
    On the contrary, No
    46.00%
    Abstain
    12.00%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Well there clearly was dirty tactics involved. I have had conversations with these individuals who thought that this bill was an improvement from the status quo and they just change their vote like that? It's a bit surprising if you ask me.

Maybe they changed their vote because they agreed that this bill is an improvement from the status quo and they listened to facts instead of PMs from little kids telling them to vote against another Tory bill... That's called party politics as far as I'm aware
    Don't see why anyone else's 'conversations' are any more or less 'dirty' than yours. And who're the 'little kids' exactly?

Either way, it's not the policy of my party to stop this passing so it's not 'party politics'... However some individuals are clearly going around trying to stop this passing but that's because of their personal views about the bill not their views about your party so please, be mature about it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They certainly weren't intimidated by their own leaders/cabinet were they? Hm...
    Ooh. Hidden divisions in the Tory party?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Don't see why anyone else's 'conversations' are any more or less 'dirty' than yours. And who're the 'little kids' exactly?

Either way, it's not the policy of my party to stop this passing so it's not 'party politics'... However some individuals are clearly going around trying to stop this passing but that's because of their personal views about the bill not their views about your party so please, be mature about it.
    They weren't dirty conversations at all. The people I have talked to had a choice and they weren't forced into anything, it was fair... I didn't intimidate them with my authority unlike others...

When did I say it was official policy? Might be informal? You tell me.

Be mature about it? Ha...

(Original post by Quamquam123)
    Ooh. Hidden divisions in the Tory party?
    Oh dear no. Certainly more united than your party. We don't intimidate our members.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    They weren't dirty conversations at all. The people I have talked to had a choice and they weren't forced into anything, it was fair... I didn't intimidate them with my authority unlike others...

When did I say it was official policy? Might be informal? You tell me.

Be mature about it? Ha...

Oh dear no. Certainly more united than your party. We don't intimidate our members.
    No one's been intimidated by anyone though? Indeed if anyone tried to intimidate my MPs to vote in anyway - whether it be you or someone in my party - then we would fall out. And nothing party political has occurred because the response we're seeing isn't related to the parties involved.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No one's been intimidated by anyone though? Indeed if anyone tried to intimidate my MPs to vote in anyway - whether it be you or someone in my party - then we would fall out. And nothing party political has occurred because the response we're seeing isn't related to the parties involved.
    So people who don't like compulsory resits vote against a bill working it's way towards optional resits? Thus voting to keep the status quo... Doesn't make sense, sounds like there is an influence somewhere?

Please explain yourself.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So people who don't like compulsory resits vote against a bill working it's way towards optional resits? Thus voting to keep the status quo... Doesn't make sense, sounds like there is an influence somewhere?

Please explain yourself.
    I found it confusing to, but it has nothing to do with 'authority' or 'party politics' or 'dirty tricks'. But seeing as you're being rather obnoxious about it I'm not troubled by it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I found it confusing to, but it has nothing to do with 'authority' or 'party politics' or 'dirty tricks'. But seeing as you're being rather obnoxious about it I'm not troubled by it.
    You haven't answered my question - which means I am not convinced at all. Hence the reason why I'm suggesting there is party politics involved, nothing obnoxious about it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You haven't answered my question - which means I am not convinced at all. Hence the reason why I'm suggesting there is party politics involved, nothing obnoxious about it.
    Why am I supposed to answer your question? It has nothing to do with me, I said it confused me. All I know is that it is nothing being enforced as a matter of anti-Tory policy and 'intimidation' lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Where on Earth have you got that from? :confused:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why am I supposed to answer your question? It has nothing to do with me, I said it confused me. All I know is that it is nothing being enforced as a matter of anti-Tory policy and 'intimidation' lol
    You have members saying that the bill doesn't save money (when it clearly does) and that the bill passes the costs onto students (which was amended in the second reading).

How is it suppose to confuse you when you also said that the bill passes costs onto students? So I'm supposed to suggest you're not involved when people are echoing what you are saying? Lol
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You have members saying that the bill doesn't save money (when it clearly does) and that the bill passes the costs onto students (which was amended in the second reading).

How is it suppose to confuse you when you also said that the bill passes costs onto students? So I'm supposed to suggest you're not involved when people are echoing what you are saying? Lol
    The bill does pass costs onto students. And what's weird about anyone making a similar argument to me? What I said was an obvious criticism and I made it publicly.

I know who in my party feels passionately opposed to this bill, I only feel mildly opposed to it and was actually going to abstain initially.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The bill does pass costs onto students. And what's weird about anyone making a similar argument to me? What I said was an obvious criticism and I made it publicly.

I know who in my party feels passionately opposed to this bill, I only feel mildly opposed to it and was actually going to abstain initially.
    But it doesn't... the whole cost issue was amended for the second reading.
    Fair point.

Well that's a shame...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez could you change my vote to a nay please? cheers
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Arguing that people should support this bill due to the money it will save isn't the best argument. You claim this bill saves £7.2m but in the general perspective of the DoE budget, that amount is absolutely miniscule. The real life Government spends on average £85bn on the DoE each year. This saving would be just 0.008% of that figure. This is not mentioning I'm skeptical there would be a saving in the first place, especially as you haven't explained where that figure came from.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    But it doesn't... the whole cost issue was amended for the second reading.
    Fair point.

Well that's a shame...
    If the bill only said 'from now on only 1 resit will be compulsory' then that would be the cost issue resolved, no? The bill did not need to make any reference at all to who pays for the exam to be taken. And if the bill had been like that then forget abstaining, I would have voted in favour.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Arguing that people should support this bill due to the money it will save isn't the best argument. You claim this bill saves £7.2m but in the general perspective of the DoE budget, that amount is absolutely miniscule. The real life Government spends on average £85bn on the DoE each year. This saving would be just 0.008% of that figure. This is not mentioning I'm skeptical there would be a saving in the first place, especially as you haven't explained where that figure came from.
    If you bothered to read my response to Nigel then you would know how I came up with the estimate. £7.2m could build new schools and be reinvested despite how little it is compared to the DoE spending.

And this bill doesn't just save money but it is working it's way to eventually getting rid of compulsory resits, which is what many want in the house. Which is why I urge people to vote in favour if they think it's an improvement from the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    If you puppeteers wanted your drones to vote against this bill, perhaps you should have talked to them a bit sooner…

It's obvious the countless changes aren't the result of some new magical arguments and you're just wasting our time. Next time please don't be dicks and state your intentions during the debate so we don't need to bother with pointless second readings and votes.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can confirm it's individual members canvassing, I haven't been kicked out of cabinet yet.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    If you puppeteers wanted your drones to vote against this bill, perhaps you should have talked to them a bit sooner…

It's obvious the countless changes aren't the result of some new magical arguments and you're just wasting our time. Next time please don't be dicks and state your intentions during the debate so we don't need to bother with pointless second readings and votes.
    PRSOM
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you bothered to read my response to Nigel then you would know how I came up with the estimate. £7.2m could build new schools and be reinvested despite how little it is compared to the DoE spending.

And this bill doesn't just save money but it is working it's way to eventually getting rid of compulsory resits, which is what many want in the house. Which is why I urge people to vote in favour if they think it's an improvement from the status quo.
    It might build a few schools but that isn't a justification for why people should vote for this. Many people do want to get rid of compulsory resits so what's the point in still keeping a compulsory resit?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.