Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What are your subject by subject UMS? And for which course?
    Maths & Further Maths (AS and A2 Maths) - 837/900 = 93%
    Physics - 199/200 = 99.5%
    Computer Science - 179/200 = 89.5%

Grand total of 93.5%, and I applied for Computer Science.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpxw)
    Maths & Further Maths (AS and A2 Maths) - 837/900 = 93%
    Physics - 199/200 = 99.5%
    Computer Science - 179/200 = 89.5%

Grand total of 93.5%, and I applied for Computer Science.
    Which exam board?

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board?
    WJEC
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpxw)
    WJEC
    Ok, it's all legit then I suggest you give them a call to put your mind at rest.

Stranger things have happened...

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, it's all legit then I suggest you give them a call to put your mind at rest.

Stranger things have happened...

Good luck!
    Thanks! I've sent them an email.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpxw)
    Thanks! I've sent them an email.
    I think a call is entirely suitable for this.

ReputationRep:
    I think a call is entirely suitable for this.
    Even if I've already sent them an email?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpxw)
    Even if I've already sent them an email?
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the success rate for independent (private) school pupils, 34.6%, is (still) higher than maintained (state) schools, 25.0%, on what basis is the "allegation" being made?

Spoiler:
    Show
    The allegation is that 'a private school student with slightly better or equivalent grades would be rejected in favour of a state school pupil'. (I reiterate my neutrality on the issue)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    The allegation is that 'a private school student with slightly better or equivalent grades would be rejected in favour of a state school pupil'. (I reiterate my neutrality on the issue)
    The allegation would need supporting data to be worth discussing

But yeah that's why Cambridge uses all the contextual data it has available...

ReputationRep:
    Yup.
    Seems like the line's busy at the moment. Will try again in a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from Robinson college yet? They said at the interview I would get a letter in early January but haven't heard anything yet. Any other colleges this late?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The allegation would need supporting data to be worth discussing

But yeah that's why Cambridge uses all the contextual data it has available...
    Just a discussion starter, nothing more than that 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martha1998)
    Has anyone heard from Robinson college yet? They said at the interview I would get a letter in early January but haven't heard anything yet. Any other colleges this late?
    Thanks
    I've applied to Fitzwilliam and I still haven't got a letter yet. I'm so scared that the postman has messed up and posted it to the wrong house.

ReputationRep:
    Yup.
    Wasn't able to get a hold of them, will try again on Monday. I'm assuming for now that they just forgot to put it on the letter. However, if this isn't the case (if they made a mistake and didn't pool me), do you know what the course of action would be? Thanks for all your help.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpxw)
    Wasn't able to get a hold of them, will try again on Monday. I'm assuming for now that they just forgot to put it on the letter. However, if this isn't the case (if they made a mistake and didn't pool me), do you know what the course of action would be? Thanks for all your help.
    Speak to the college first. You are correct it's probably a miscommunication.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know why they would give me an A*A*A* offer for natural sciences instead of the usual A*A*A?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'd like to request feedback for my application (TitHall) Does anyone know if there is the possibility of having it sent directly to you?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSwan98)
    Hi I'd like to request feedback for my application (TitHall) Does anyone know if there is the possibility of having it sent directly to you?
    We prefer to provide feedback to the referee for two reasons:

(i) The referee is well placed to judge the best way to convey the feedback to the individual concerned so that it is received as a beneficial learning experience;(ii) The provision of feedback to your school informs advisers of future applicants about the standards and requirements for the relevant Cambridge course and thus is of wider benefit to the admissions process.

If you think you want the feedback sent to you then just ask. Remember that it might not be as helpful as you would wish though. The most common feedback is inevitably some variation on 'we thought you were a strong applicant but you weren't quite as strong as those we made offers to.' This may seem vague and unhelpful but remember that our admissions process takes a holistic view of our applicants so there's rarely any one, two or even small number of things which led to the decision to not make an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    We prefer to provide feedback to the referee for two reasons:

(i) The referee is well placed to judge the best way to convey the feedback to the individual concerned so that it is received as a beneficial learning experience;(ii) The provision of feedback to your school informs advisers of future applicants about the standards and requirements for the relevant Cambridge course and thus is of wider benefit to the admissions process.

If you think you want the feedback sent to you then just ask. Remember that it might not be as helpful as you would wish though. The most common feedback is inevitably some variation on 'we thought you were a strong applicant but you weren't quite as strong as those we made offers to.' This may seem vague and unhelpful but remember that our admissions process takes a holistic view of our applicants so there's rarely any one, two or even small number of things which led to the decision to not make an offer.
    So, if a direct feedback request had already been sent, should it be retracted and have the referee make another instead? Would a response to a referee's request provide a little more and in particular enough information for the referee to advise on whether reapplying is worth considering? And perhaps what could be improved upon even though it was a "strong but not as strong as others" candidate?

Would no STEP vs having STEP for example be a influential factor in the "not as strong"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.