Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm 42 and have spent the last 15 years working as an architectural technician. Last year I started a Certificate in Higher Education in Geology as it's a subject I've always been interested in. Suffice to say, I did rather well in the first year and am enjoying it so much, I'm thinking about signing up to do the full BSc.

My problem is largely my age and gaining future employment, if I choose to do the BSc. I'm not interested in the oil or gas industries, which limits my choices, but I haven't quite decided on what my specialty would be (possibly hydrogeology or geophysics/structural geology, although my first love is volcanology).

My dilemma is essentially: At my age, is it really worth spending all that money to do the BSc? I really enjoy the subject, and the whole experience, but surely enjoyment isn't the best reason to be spending that kind of money, is it? What are my employment chances after I graduate, given my age and past experience?

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'd love to hear from anyone, but particularly mature students who have changed careers.

Thanks,

Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikey74)

x
    I guess where you go to University is dictated by where you live now, but there are quite a few mature students who went through my course (Leicester). We also have a volcanology fieldtrip and lecturer who is the big man in volcanology!
    Working in architecture I guess your skill set most suits going into engineering geology. If you want to become a volcanologist the careers are limited and will mostly be abroad (academic positions in UK, but would need a PhD). You can find a good resource on careers in geology on the Geological society website. http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/geology-career-pathways

Something to look out for is whether or not course fees include fieldwork costs - many do, but there are some that charge and these can be quite expensive! Are you prepared to go away for 4-6 weeks for your independent fieldwork, as this is a compulsory part of all courses!

My best advice is to come on an open day and speak to course staff! Alternatively, if you contact admissions they might be able to arrange a private visit for you.

If you have any Qs feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rosie, thanks for the reply.

As it happens, I'm already studying at Birkbeck, in London. My query was really related to whether I should go from the Certificate, on to the BSc. However, I've pretty much concluded I will.

With regard to field trips: You're right: We have to pay for ours. Last year we went to the Isle of Skye and Cornwall. This year, it's Suffolk, Greece and Coniston. Next year is Morocco, I think.

Volcanology is my first love, but I am finding other areas I like as well (inc. Structural and Sedimentary). I appreciate the UK isn't the first place to study active volcanism, but it is a real centre for ancient volcanism. I would love to work abroad but have a long way to go before I can achieve that.

ReputationRep:

As it happens, I'm already studying at Birkbeck, in London. My query was really related to whether I should go from the Certificate, on to the BSc. However, I've pretty much concluded I will.

With regard to field trips: You're right: We have to pay for ours. Last year we went to the Isle of Skye and Cornwall. This year, it's Suffolk, Greece and Coniston. Next year is Morocco, I think.

Volcanology is my first love, but I am finding other areas I like as well (inc. Structural and Sedimentary). I appreciate the UK isn't the first place to study active volcanism, but it is a real centre for ancient volcanism. I would love to work abroad but have a long way to go before I can achieve that.
    Ah I see! Have you considered the Open University? That won't give you the hands on skills that are really neccessary to be a geologist, but if you just want to study it for enjoyment they have plenty of modules to choose from

Best of luck with it - is the diploma similar to A Level?

ReputationRep:

It's quite difficult to get jobs in volcanology without taking up a higher level of research.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.