english literature: level 9 structure of answer

Watch
fionxlock
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently studying for an important english literature exam in which I will be given an unseen extract of writing and asked to analyse it in detail. Has anyone got any ideas for how to structure my response in order to get the highest mark? thanks
tennysons_maud
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
You should look up the mark sceme and some model answers, which the exam boards usually (? I think) provide. I remember they did for French.

Other than that, FOCUS ON THE QUESTION. Don't get sidetracked. One point per paragraph is a good basic structure to use IMO - you present your quote/point, explain your point (what the plosive alliteration of Bs and Ps suggests in such-and-such a sentence, for example), and develop/analyse this. (I'm not a teacher by any means but this is roughly what they're looking for.) I did IGCSE though so I don't know how different the objectives would be.

I would also say just use your native intelligence. Think about it - how DOES the author convey this? No, really, how do they? Look at it as a sort of investigation you're carrying out for your own satisfaction. Use the terminology they're looking for (semantic field, allieration, enjambment, asyndetic/polysyndetic sentence structure, etc.).

If you use your own ideas and present these in a logical structure, while using developed language and terminology, you should get a decent mark.

But really, look up those model answers. I don't know what board you're doing, but http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...COMMENTARY.PDF is an AQA model answer thing for GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads