Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys. I'm considering applying for a military role.

I'm wondering what is the situation in the UK's military across all branches in terms of promoting diversity.

I'm asking because the top officials across all branches appear to be British by name and birth and I wish for a career with many successes.

I wouldn't be happy if I was denied a promotion simply because of where I originally come from.

I just want some clarity.

Thank you all

ReputationRep:
    You would not be denied promotion because you are not British. You will also not be promoted because you are not British.

See here for more details, including a telephone number for you to ring if you have any queries.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    It takes decades to get to the top in any Branch of the military. Three decades ago the military was far less diverse than it is now, hence those at the top reflect their peer group at joining.
    The military does not reflect the diversity of the nation and probably never will. However, it works very hard indeed to be a vocation that promoted upon merit and capability.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks NFI and ProStacker. Out of curiosity, are you part of the military?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smiley7116)
    Out of curiosity, are you part of the military?
    Yes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.