The Student Room Group

Will My Old Car Do 300 Mile Journey

Hi guys
Me and a group of friends have booked a holiday in North Cornwall in July a 300 mile journey from Kent. I'm wondering will my 15 yr old VW 1.0 polo make it? (It has around 65,000 miles on the clock might be less it's impossible to tell on the screen) im just a bit worried about it overheating or the engine/gearbox not being up to the job.
Why wouldn't it? I don't believe anyone here can reasonably answer that for you since they don't know how your car drives. I presume if the car has a valid MOT then there's no reason it shouldn't.
Absolutely no way to tell, if it has no faults then no reason why not. On the other hand, it could have a fault you don't know about and you might not even get to the end of your driveway - you're basically asking us to road-check your car without actually seeing it :rofl:
Reply 3
As the others have said, there's not really any reason why not. 65k miles isn't all that many anyway.
Original post by WoodyMKC
you're basically asking us to road-check your car without actually seeing it :rofl:

My thinking exactly.

My V Reg Nissan Micra makes it down the M5 atleast twice a month on the 300 mile stretch to Cornwall and back and I never have any issues. It's got 115,000 on the clock too.

If you don't have any known faults with the car, Then just make sure it is has enough oil and coolant and take some with you just incase you need to fill up on return (I usually carry a litre of water in boot incase of overheating too)
Upgrade your breakdown to national recovery too possibly with a courtesy car included as Cornwall is a desolate as hell.

Just a word of warning, the M5/a30 is hell in the summer, so if you're car overheat in traffic ATM get that checked
😂
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest