Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Because the US doesn't like them.

ReputationRep:
    How many people here, apart from myself, have ever visited Iran?

To answer the original question:

1. The British and American media is very hostile to Iran and portrays the country in an unfavourable light.

2. A high proportion of Iranians living in Britain are highly critical of the everyday culture of Iran and the mainstream values of its people (like atheist feminists) but instead blame the government of Iran. Therefore chances are the Iranian you meet on a train is not representative of 'ordinary' folk in Iran.

3. Very few British people have visited Iran and seen it themself.

I'm impressed by the commitment Iran makes to engineering and manufacturing. It is on course to becoming an economically and technologically advanced nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    I don't think you will find many people who have visited Iran who still dislike the country/its people.

Iranian people are possibly the most hospitable people in the world, down to the emphasis on taarof and a desire to show Westernisers how different Iran is to how the media portrays it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taarof
    http://iranfashion.com/2016/10/04/re...rip-to-iran-2/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    a fantastically objective introduction from which i can already tell your opinion will be very reasonable

Iran is roughly the size of all of Western Europe, so hardly "little", but that is relative I guess.
    Pissy little nation in terms of importance on the global stage and any kind of relevance to the world, except for causing trouble.

such as?
    Well, the Persian Empire.

Iran was the 9th country in the world to send a satellite into space, and is ranked 12th of all time for the International Mathematics Olympiad (one above Japan and one below the UK), has the world's highest growth in scientific output (and is now above Israel and Turkey) - I could go on, but my point is that it doesn't just live off past glories as you suggest.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article...tellite-space/
    https://www.imo-official.org/results...rds&order=desc
    http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/wou...&NewsCatID=513
    Those are hardly stellar achievements, are they? These are just facts of modern life.

Is it not possible to be fond of the country but not the regime currently in charge?
    Absolutely, although it is just that - a fondness. It's along the lines of - "well, we're British/American now. Kind of like Iran, even though I don't give a toss about it in any real terms. Hate Israel, tho."

Many do own businesses, but this does the (mainly Iranian-American) diaspora an injustice.
    And of those that do, all those I have met have a real chip on their shoulders about being the worlds greatest merchants.

Almost one in three Iranian American households have annual incomes of more than $100K (compared to one in five for the overall U.S. population). 50% are in professional/managerial occupations, more than any other group in the U.S. More than 25% hold a Master's/PhD.

http://paaia.org/galleries/new-galle..._10%202008.pdf
    Yes, because most of the people who fled were the wealthy or highly educated, and capable of starting themselves up again in their new countries.

What is a "stand-up" fight? Is the West sending drones to bomb people from thousands of feet in the sky "a stand-up fight"?
    Yep, that's modern warfare. You'd think that a country that was the 9th to launch a satellite into space would have its own drones by now and be dropping bombs on Israel by now - but of course, it's easier to just get local morons to ride around shooting people in the name of a Revolution from 40 years ago.

Their conventional military is very weak (saved by a large army because of conscription), but their asymmetrical capacities and largest inventory of ballistic missiles in the region are pretty strong deterrents - just ask Israel/U.S., who had plenty of opportunity to attack Iran. Israel in particular wasted no time in bombing nuclear facilities in Syria/Iraq.
    It's not even a real army. It's just tons of paramilitaries forming their own basic equivalent of viking warbands.

Besides, it is Netanyahu that said Iran was "in control of four Arab capitals" - so take it up with him.

There is a struggle for identity, but (i) is this really only true in Iran? You could say that there is a struggle of identity in the U.K. - with roughly half favouring an outward-looking pro-internationalist view, and the other half favouring an inward-looking isolationist view. (ii) I don't think the majority of people know about this struggle, let alone dislike Iran for this reason.
    Well, it's quite a common thing. You get it with Greeks (who are imo much worse than Iranians) making out they're the big cheeses just because they invented the Olympics and had an Empire before Jesus was around - but now haven't got two drachma to rub together and haven't been important for as long as anyone can remember.

Nobody likes them either.

I'm not saying I don't like Iran - they're neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned, and the Iranians I know are ok-ish, if a bit annoying. Just saying why I think they're generally a crap nation and why nobody likes them.

ReputationRep:
    They hang gays to cranes.
    Police is allowed to use torture to get confessions.
    Political opponents are routinely raped in jail to "break" them.
    Virgin girls sentenced to death penalty are raped before their execution so they won't go to Heaven. (:lolwut:)

Modern Iran:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Pissy little nation in terms of importance on the global stage and any kind of relevance to the world
    The only countries that have any global importance are the U.S., China and Russia, and Russia won't be there for much longer.

Those are hardly stellar achievements, are they? These are just facts of modern life.
    Depends how you define "stellar".

And of those that do, all those I have met have a real chip on their shoulders about being the worlds greatest merchants.
    How many Iranian-American businessmen do you happen to have met?

Yep, that's modern warfare.
    I asked whether it's a "stand-up fight", not whether it's "modern warfare".

You'd think that a country that was the 9th to launch a satellite into space would have its own drones by now and be dropping bombs on Israel by now
    What kind of nonsense is this? Have you given up trying to make serious arguments?

It's not even a real army. It's just tons of paramilitaries forming their own basic equivalent of viking warbands.
    No, there most definitely is a real army... Two, in fact. There is the standard army ("artesh" ) , and the revolutionary guards ("sepah" ) who are effectively now just as strong as the standard army and work in tandem with them. (Three if you include the volunteer "basij" army.) Don't confuse this with foreign Shia militias Iran supports/funds.

Not that difficult to understand. Poor human rights record, a history of sponsoring terrorism and interfering in other countries through proxy groups.

The only nation that seems to have a favourable view of Iran in that poll is Pakistan, another terrorist-sponsoring country.

I don't think you will find many people who have visited Iran who still dislike the country/its people.

Iranian people are possibly the most hospitable people in the world, down to the emphasis on taarof and a desire to show Westernisers how different Iran is to how the media portrays it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taarof
    http://iranfashion.com/2016/10/04/re...rip-to-iran-2/
    PRSOM THANK YOU FOR THIS.

Tehran, possibly one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited, on par with Paris and Moscow. The Iranian people- both upperclass, merchants and lower class, definitely the most hospitable and generous people I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. It really is a shame the Western Media portrays them in such a negative light.

Didn't see any hangings in Tehran, they possibly occur in smaller villages which of course would be cut off from the Western World to an extent.

Hmmm. don't see anyone commenting on Saudi's laws? Getting imprisoned for carrying a crucifix? Interesting.

Meanwhile, Iran has a Jewish population and christian populations, both of which are allowed to freely practice their religion.

Saudi still won't let women drive. iran does. Tonnes of women drivers in iran. Iran also is having more and more women having prominent roles in their government- gaining seats in parliament etc etc.

(Original post by Tempest II)
    x
    Simply Iran, wanted their leader- a puppet of carter to pay for the crimes he committed to the iranian people.

OH and of course we've all seem to forgotten Iran Air flight 665. Shot down over the Persian Gulf en route to Dubai. Shot down by William C Rogers, killing all 290 innocent civilians. But it's a happy ending. Rogers was of course commended by the US government for his heroic deed. Sure he saved millions of lives from the awful pigs aboard.
    To this day, not an apology from the US. Funny really.
    Better have had his eyes checked out as it's pretty difficult to mistake an Airbus A300 with and F14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Simply Iran, wanted their leader- a puppet of carter to pay for the crimes he committed to the iranian people.

OH and of course we've all seem to forgotten Iran Air flight 665. Shot down over the Persian Gulf en route to Dubai. Shot down by William C Rogers, killing all 290 innocent civilians. But it's a happy ending. Rogers was of course commended by the US government for his heroic deed. Sure he saved millions of lives from the awful pigs aboard.
    To this day, not an apology from the US. Funny really.
    Better have had his eyes checked out as it's pretty difficult to mistake an Airbus A300 with and F14.
    I'm not sorry that I don't agree with your view here. Iran provided weapons, advisers & money to Shia militant groups in Basra throughout the Iraq insurgency. British (& Iraqi lives) were ruined by Iranian weapons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/6483955.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-soldiers.html

In 2007 the Iranian Navy captured 15 Royal Navy personnel in what appears to have been a planned & deliberate operation; despite Iranian claims to the contrary (which I'm guessing you believe) UK forces were 1.7 miles inside Iraqi waters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eave-Iran.html

The British embassy in Tehran was stormed in 2011 by protesters. Are you going to defend this too? I'd say it's somewhat contrary to how the UK respects embassies - when the Iranian embassy in London was taken by gunmen in 1980 the SAS were sent to rescue those inside. I don't think the Iranian government would be quite so pro-active if the situation was reversed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15936213

For all I know the Iranian people themselves might not support the ridiculous actions of their governments & the backwards religious authorities. Indeed, it appears some Western culture is having an influence over there among the younger generation which is certainly a positive move. Shows like Top Gear for example seem to be rather popular.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22020822

It did appear Iran had mellowed slightly since that clown Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (who may have tampered with the result of the 2009 election) was replaced with Hassan Rouhani who appears to be more moderate. His hands are obviously tied by Ayatollah Ali Khamenei & the other religious figures who seem intent to keep Iran on a collusion course with the West & most of the rest of the Middle East.

As with Saudi Arabia, Iran is a sponsor of terrorism - however, it's ran overtly at government level in the latter nation. The Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution is a terrorist organisation & many also want the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps to be classed this way. Both are very much enemies of the UK & the rest of the West.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-Europe.html

Of course the Iran Air 655 incident was an awful act by USS Vincennes & why the captain wasn't punished is beyond me. However, it's, worth mentioning that in the situation leading up to the event US ships had be fired upon by both Iraqi & Iranian forces. Indeed Iranian mines & Silkworm missile were responsible for damage to tankers & crew causalities in the Strait of Hormuz - these were celebrated Iran's Prime Minister at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    You must be a pretty crazy country if you favour theocracy over secular democracy, to the point where you literally have a revolution in order to supplement an Islamic Republic. That is, along with other things, why I don't hold a favourable view on Iran, anyway.
    Revolutions are messy and the nutty Islamo-fascist won it. That doesn't mean "the people" wanted an Islamic Dictatorship.

@OP There are legit reason why the Iranian State is terrible and then add to that they are not an ally of the west.

ReputationRep:
    Is there the same poll for how countries see the U.S and U.K? Im sure it wouldnt look much different...

ReputationRep:
    They execute people for drinking alcohol, and their one claim to decency is "Saudi Arabia is worse".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    They execute people for drinking alcohol
    I don't think that's true... source?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's true... source?
    Remind me at a reasonable hour when I can get to a computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Remind me at a reasonable hour when I can get to a computer.
    Alcohol is only illegal for Muslims in Iran (Iranian Christians/Jews etc are allowed to import/consume alcohol), and even that is widely ignored - alcohol is widespread in Iran.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-9217419.html

Iran actually has quite a big alcoholism problem, the WHO have reported that Iranian drinkers consumed 25 litres of pure alcohol a year - far more than the average drinker in Russia, Germany or the UK. Iran have fully recognised this problem and are opening 150 rehab centres to deal with alcoholism.

https://www.ft.com/content/c1ec16f2-...3-07d16aad2152
    http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/orig...-approach.html

It is pretty ironic that alcohol is (de jure) banned for Muslims in Iran, with many of the great Persian poets (such as Hafez and Omar Khayyam) being known for their great poems about wine.

Drink wine. This life is eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses, and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
    - Omar Khayyam

If I die, don’t let them bury me in a dusty grave;
    Take my corpse to the Winehouse and throw me into a cask of wine!
    - Hafez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)

To answer the original question:

1. The British and American media is very hostile to Iran and portrays the country in an unfavourable light.

2. A high proportion of Iranians living in Britain are highly critical of the everyday culture of Iran and the mainstream values of its people (like atheist feminists) but instead blame the government of Iran. Therefore chances are the Iranian you meet on a train is not representative of 'ordinary' folk in Iran.

3. Very few British people have visited Iran and seen it themself.

I'm impressed by the commitment Iran makes to engineering and manufacturing. It is on course to becoming an economically and technologically advanced nation.
    You're absolutely right! I visited Iran back in 2014, and despite the negativity enstilled through the media portrayal of the country,

I believe the country should be commended on the manufacturing, engineering and technological advancements being made despite economic sanctions etc!

ReputationRep:
    It's a sectarian theocracy run by anti-Semites and lunatics. I'm not keen.

ReputationRep:
    Drink wine. This life is eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses, and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
    - Omar Khayyam
    To mosque though I have come with saintly air,
    To tell the truth I haven't come for prayer;
    A prayer-rug from this mosque I once purloined -
    That is now worn; again here I repair.

ReputationRep:
    It's an imperialist theocracy which wants nuclear weapons and spreads terrorism.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    It's an imperialist theocracy which wants nuclear weapons and spreads terrorism.
    Perfectly described the US apart from theocracy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.