Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this sounds really stupid coming out of my mouth so I prefer to write it down.

It sounds like I'm just lazy and can't be bothered to go in to Uni but I'm not that kind of person, I get up early every day and I'm really active. I just have this really weird thing that I feel really anxious going in to my Seminar's, I get worried I'll be asked questions I can't answer that everyone else knows. My grades are the same as everyone else's, I just feel so much less intelligent than everyone else.

Does anyone else feel like this? I feel like it's really having an effect on my work because it stops me from going in sometimes.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, the majority of people at university feel like everyone else is smarter than them or they are at the bottom of the barrel. But the only way to improve at uni and in your confidence is by going in. Not going in isn't making it better now is it? So it's best to stop that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Trust me, the majority of people at university feel like everyone else is smarter than them or they are at the bottom of the barrel. But the only way to improve at uni and in your confidence is by going in. Not going in isn't making it better now is it? So it's best to stop that.
    Yeah, no I know. I just get a really anxious feeling that I can't just stop? Doesn't matter, I probs didn't explain it very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightonGal6)
    Yeah, no I know. I just get a really anxious feeling that I can't just stop? Doesn't matter, I probs didn't explain it very well.
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to suffer quite badly from anxiety. But letting it rule you only makes it worse. The feeling won't go away immediately, and it might never go away at all (depending on how bad it is) but it's only by putting yourself in the situation and exposing yourself to it over and over again that you'll learn how to cope and hopefully get over it completely.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this sounds really stupid coming out of my mouth so I prefer to write it down.

It sounds like I'm just lazy and can't be bothered to go in to Uni but I'm not that kind of person, I get up early every day and I'm really active. I just have this really weird thing that I feel really anxious going in to my Seminar's, I get worried I'll be asked questions I can't answer that everyone else knows. My grades are the same as everyone else's, I just feel so much less intelligent than everyone else.

Does anyone else feel like this? I feel like it's really having an effect on my work because it stops me from going in sometimes.

Thanks x
    Hello!

I'll share a little story with you...
    When I was starting in my First Year, I was absolutely terrified! Yes, I'd gained a place at university but really didn't feel as though I was qualified to be there. I felt as you did, much less intelligent than everybody else. Therefore, I arranged to have a coffee with the lecturer of the course and discuss my worries with her, she said this;
    "You have nothing to worry about. That is a common feeling. What you have to remember is that everybody is coming from different educational backgrounds and experiences - yes, peoples intellect does differ but not in a bad way. On the course there will be people that know things you don't and you'll know things other people don't - therefore, you're still all learning together but some people just may have a head start on some areas and there is nothing wrong with that."

And that in itself helped me so much! Don't worry about being asked questions, you are all there together learning the same thing. Just give it ago because you are there to learn! I know it's easier said than done but just trust your own ability! You will not be the only person feeling this way!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello!

I'll share a little story with you...
    When I was starting in my First Year, I was absolutely terrified! Yes, I'd gained a place at university but really didn't feel as though I was qualified to be there. I felt as you did, much less intelligent than everybody else. Therefore, I arranged to have a coffee with the lecturer of the course and discuss my worries with her, she said this;
    "You have nothing to worry about. That is a common feeling. What you have to remember is that everybody is coming from different educational backgrounds and experiences - yes, peoples intellect does differ but not in a bad way. On the course there will be people that know things you don't and you'll know things other people don't - therefore, you're still all learning together but some people just may have a head start on some areas and there is nothing wrong with that."

And that in itself helped me so much! Don't worry about being asked questions, you are all there together learning the same thing. Just give it ago because you are there to learn! I know it's easier said than done but just trust your own ability! You will not be the only person feeling this way!

Good luck
    Thanks George, good luck to you too x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks George, good luck to you too x
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    hey.I am feeling the same even though i am not studying in the uni but,i was very much excited and persevere about getting an admission in the university and would start my education from where i left.Actually i came in the uk in 2012 for study but because of ups and downs in my personal life i had to leave the studies at that time.but after almost 5 years at the age of 25 i am planning to go to university in an undergraduate program and now i am very much depressed and having anxiety after realizing that everybody out there will be aged arround 19 20 and will be more intelligent and smarter than i am.And most of the students will be having more command on the english language than me.and after all these vigorous thoughts i am feeling very low and feel like quitting my dream of completing my education and to get i life which i always wanted.please help me if you can..thanks..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.