Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Radioactivity Geiger Counters Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

There are a few things/questions that I don't understand about radioactivity.

1. On the graph, I don't understand why the curve evens out due to beta particles being absorbed and producing gamma photons (I'm not sure why this happens).

2. I'm also not sure about the significance of dead time and how a quenching agent reduces dead time (and why dead time needs to be reduced) I've read quite a bit about this but different sources have said it in different ways and I'm a bit confused.

Any help would be really appreciated
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hi,

1. On the graph, I don't understand why the curve evens out due to beta particles being absorbed and producing gamma photons (I'm not sure why this happens).

2. I'm also not sure about the significance of dead time and how a quenching agent reduces dead time (and why dead time needs to be reduced) I've read quite a bit about this but different sources have said it in different ways and I'm a bit confused.

Any help would be really appreciated
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Could you take a pic of the entire page plz? Maybe even the page before that? I didn't do this at A2 but I'm sure I can explain it given some context

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth_Narwhale)
    Could you take a pic of the entire page plz? Maybe even the page before that? I didn't do this at A2 but I'm sure I can explain it given some context
    Hiya,

Thanks so much for you reply. This is the page that the graph is on.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

When there is no absorber, the count rate or the radioactivity is in term of a mixture of beta particles and gamma rays.
    When an absorber of 5mm thick is placed in front of the counter, the beta particles are fully absorbed by the absorber's material and left only gamma rays passing through the material.
    The horizontal portion is indicating number of gamma rays detected per second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    When there is no absorber, the count rate or the radioactivity is in term of a mixture of beta particles and gamma rays.
    When an absorber of 5mm thick is placed in front of the counter, the beta particles are fully absorbed by the absorber's material and left only gamma rays passing through the material.
    The horizontal portion is indicating number of gamma rays detected per second.
    Thank you, I understand that much better now. What is the line labelled range referring to?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I understand that much better now. What is the line labelled range referring to?
    I suspect it means the thickness of the absorber that completely absorbs the beta radiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    I suspect it means the thickness of the absorber that completely absorbs the beta radiation.
    Looks more like that at the point the gradient starts to become more gradual, so the count rate decreases much more slowly and not linearly.

P.S, VioletPhillippo, could you tell me what book is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    Looks more like that at the point the gradient starts to become more gradual, so the count rate decreases much more slowly and not linearly.

P.S, VioletPhillippo, could you tell me what book is that?
    Hiya,

It's from my textbook, which is the AQA A-level one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)

Name:  Range of beta particles in aluminiumjpg_Page1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  163.8 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.