Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quit a full-time relatively well paid job to pursue another career? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but I was wondering if I could ask for your opinion on my current situation.

I'm 25 years old and currently work as a shift based Maintenance Electrician, on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern (Days/Nights). I've been at my current employer for approaching 7 years, 4 of these years I completed a modern advanced apprenticeship and achieved an ONC and HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I've recently thought about resigning from my job as I really do not enjoy the work or the shift pattern and possibly go back into education to study another subject. What subject I do not know, as I've never really known what career I should pursue. I have looked at other jobs in the same sector but the majority of jobs look exactly the same with the shift patterns and also working nights, which I really do not get on with. The money is good, mainly because of the nights and the amount of weekends I have to work because of my shifts but there are no ways of progressing from my position, not with my current employer anyway.

Is it worth while taking the risk and go back into education as a mature student while I have no commitments as regards to living at home, no debts, etc, or do I continue to search for jobs in the hope I'll find something that I can apply for with my relevant qualifications/experience? I have thought about taking an extra course either on weekends or evenings but with my shifts it would be difficult as the days I work constantly change.

I've also got the chance to go travelling with a friend in October to South East Asia and Australia which I have always wanted to do but part of me feels that, that is because I want to run away from the stress this is causing me. The last thing I want to do is to do that and then be stuck in the same situation when I return home.:unimpressed:

Sorry if I've bored you lol but if anyone could give me their opinion on what you think I should do or if you have any other suggestions then that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Andy199191

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy199191)
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but I was wondering if I could ask for your opinion on my current situation.

I'm 25 years old and currently work as a shift based Maintenance Electrician, on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern (Days/Nights). I've been at my current employer for approaching 7 years, 4 of these years I completed a modern advanced apprenticeship and achieved an ONC and HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I've recently thought about resigning from my job as I really do not enjoy the work or the shift pattern and possibly go back into education to study another subject. What subject I do not know, as I've never really known what career I should pursue. I have looked at other jobs in the same sector but the majority of jobs look exactly the same with the shift patterns and also working nights, which I really do not get on with. The money is good, mainly because of the nights and the amount of weekends I have to work because of my shifts but there are no ways of progressing from my position, not with my current employer anyway.

Is it worth while taking the risk and go back into education as a mature student while I have no commitments as regards to living at home, no debts, etc, or do I continue to search for jobs in the hope I'll find something that I can apply for with my relevant qualifications/experience? I have thought about taking an extra course either on weekends or evenings but with my shifts it would be difficult as the days I work constantly change.

I've also got the chance to go travelling with a friend in October to South East Asia and Australia which I have always wanted to do but part of me feels that, that is because I want to run away from the stress this is causing me. The last thing I want to do is to do that and then be stuck in the same situation when I return home.:unimpressed:

Sorry if I've bored you lol but if anyone could give me their opinion on what you think I should do or if you have any other suggestions then that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Andy199191
    Have you considered the possibility of The Open University? You could do a single module over one day a week for a year to see if this is what you want while you work, if you still decide to continue with studies, you could pick up the rest of the modules to count them towards an entry to University.

I did something slightly similar (but more extreme) and did 3 modules last year while working full-time, in the end I found education to be what I wanted and triggered an exit qualification from The Open University (which my modules could count towards) and used this to apply for a brick University, currently halfway through my first year and absolutely loving it!

I would advise doing modules that count towards access to higher education qualifications and not full degrees, these seem to be slightly less time consuming and also have UCAS points tied to them which is important for Universities when they accept applicants, as these figures bump them up on rankings (they're more likely to take you).
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's fine to quit a relatively well paid job to pursue another career, but only if you know what that other career is and you have a well thought out and practical path to achieving it. Otherwise, what you are doing is simply 'dropping out'. Dropping out is also a life choice, but be honest with yourself about doing it. You'll have no income, so no chance of buying a house, a car, new clothes, meals out etc - which as a mainstream adult are presumably things you value or will value at some point?

You've got a trade to fall back on which is an advantage, but don't kid yourself that if you go travelling for a few months, you won't have to fall back on that trade, and potentially in a less palatable job that you do now.

If you want to get somewhere else in life, then you have to know what that destination is, otherwise you'll probably get nowhere except wander round in a circle, losing money, and end up back where you are now.

Stick where you are and fill your spare time with creating constructive plans about what a second career might be, and when the time is right, jump.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you just have to be bold. A good job can feel like a safety net, but it's easy to become trapped in a convenience rather than pursuing something you want.

In 2014 I had a relatively comfortable job as a sales rep but was fed up, so I sat down with my boss and handed him my notice. He looked flabbergasted and said he wouldn't be so quick to give up a good job 'in this economy'. I smiled and said I'll be fine.

I spent just over a year travelling including doing a working holiday in Australia, honestly everyone under 30 should do that, don't worry about money, you can get jobs over there that pay way more than over here. Got back to the UK and took a part-time job that still pays me 3/4 of my previous role though I do now have to work weekends and nights and began studying an access course. I'll be going to uni in September by which time I should have enough money saved in conjunction with my maintenance loan and bursary that I won't need a job, though I may look for something that allows me to work the odd shift.

While you have no financial ties and are clearly despondent at the thought of continuing in your current profession I say go for it. In 20 years time, you will not look back at giving up a job you don't like and regret it. But in 20 years time if you look back to now and think I wonder what would have happened if I'd taken the plunge to enjoy some travelling and retraining to do something new, that will sting.

The worst thing that happens is you're still qualified to do what you already do, you have a year's travel under your belt and maybe some interesting international work experience as well. Your current job may not still be waiting for you, but there are always other jobs, you can never get this time back once it's gone though. Spend it at least pursuing something you want as that is so much more rewarding than good pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    Have you considered the possibility of The Open University? You could do a single module over one day a week for a year to see if this is what you want while you work, if you still decide to continue with studies, you could pick up the rest of the modules to count them towards an entry to University.

I did something slightly similar (but more extreme) and did 3 modules last year while working full-time, in the end I found education to be what I wanted and triggered an exit qualification from The Open University (which my modules could count towards) and used this to apply for a brick University, currently halfway through my first year and absolutely loving it!

I would advise doing modules that count towards access to higher education qualifications and not full degrees, these seem to be slightly less time consuming and also have UCAS points tied to them which is important for Universities when they accept applicants, as these figures bump them up on rankings (they're more likely to take you).
    Thank you for your reply. Open university is definitely something I am going to consider but I'm not entirely sure on how it works. Yes I know that you do the work in your own time but do you have to attend any kind of lectures on a weekly basis? With working shifts, my days I work constantly change week to week so if I had a set day I had to attend, I wouldn't be able to every week.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. Open university is definitely something I am going to consider but I'm not entirely sure on how it works. Yes I know that you do the work in your own time but do you have to attend any kind of lectures on a weekly basis? With working shifts, my days I work constantly change week to week so if I had a set day I had to attend, I wouldn't be able to every week.
    No not at all, it may differ on subjects, but mine was literally getting books sent through the post and all reading material being on The Open University website, your modules website essentially has a timetable with what parts they recommend you to study each week and tma/ICMA/ema deadline dates, the only dates that need to be met are the tma/icma/emas (which are all submitted electronically at home via uploading word/pdf documents you made).

They literally give you books to work through, assessments on that material and give you optional days to attend catch up sessions at Uni (if you need it), I didnt go to any of these sessions and scored over 85% in all 3 modules, The Open University qualifications are accredited just as much as real uni's.

Most of the time my study pattern was 7pm-12pm as I was working full-time, but as I said earlier doing one module you could fit all this into one of your days off easily (using up a few days paid holiday during each assessment hand in date helps).

Edit: On a sidenote it was enough to be accepted into a BBB A level requirement Uni course (Computing Science at Huddersfield), my past education was GCSE's @ BDDDEEEEE with zero A-levels.

ReputationRep:

Andy199191
    You can take that HNC 120 credits and transfer it to a engineering degree to enter into the second year (like Open Uni).

Or alternatively ask your employer for progression and get them to pay for part time evening classes to increase the HNC to a HND, then you can take that HND and top it up with one more year to get the BEng.

I completed a Open University Physics degree and it was well worth it

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to quire my £31k job in project management to study primary education at the OU to become a primary school teacher. You only live once I say and you don't want to look back in 4years and think about what you could have achieved in that time, but chose not to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.