Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my laptop goes in phases of disconnecting from the WiFi every minute or so. Sometimes it will be fine but it will eventually always go in this state.

It's a Qualcomm Atheros AR946x, I've tried updating the driver, changing the network to a home network and to a public network, disabling the firewall. Can anyone think of any other tests? It's driving me insane!

The laptop is an Asus E403S.
    I don't think it's a network issue as it has always been good on my family's devices including laptops. I do get a similar error on my other laptop but that's complex as it's got loads of network settings I can't edit and it prefers a wired connection anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried a wired connection with the laptop?

I assume it is just this laptop that disconnects, no other devices like phones disconnect?

If so odds are it's an issue with the wireless card. Difficult to say what is causing it though, could be some other software interacting poorly, could be something locally causing interference, could be a damaged card and so on.

A quick google search for the Qualcomm and disconnects yields a bunch of potential fixes, such as disabling bluetooth. Difficult to say if any will work, you'd have to just go and try them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.