Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just started a GoFundMe campaign for two months volunteering in Borneo Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've just started a GoFundMe campaign to try and fundraise for a two month volunteering project starting April 2017

I was wondering if people had any ideas on getting the word out there, or if any of you would mind sharing it on facebook/social media and/or donating to my cause.

Just struggling with fundraising ideas at the moment, so if anybody has any ideas, that would be great.

https://www.gofundme.com/making-an-impact-in-borneo

I dont really have a close knit family or circle of friends, so I have to turn elsewhere for things like this!

The goal is around £3000 by April 2017, so I'm thinking of ways I could either offer people something in return for their donations, or ways to encourage people to want to get involved.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks X

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't fundraising £3k and spending it on a local teacher, engineer or forester make a far more measurable impact in Borneo rather than sending someone without specific skills on an environmentally damaging flight to the other side of the world?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Promise to do like 1000+ hours of volunteering work with different local organisations and keep a tally. Blog about your time with them and what you've learnt and how you've helped. At the end of your time with each organisation, get the head or someone high up to sign you off with a reference letter. The letter could just be a 'To whom it may concern..... XXX has spent 300 hours volunteering with us doing this and that...' . Post scans of the letters on your blog for everyone to see.

Just a thought, hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    £3000 for a 2 month placement is expensive, which organisation are you applying with? Have you thought about booking a flight to Bangkok in Thailand then buying a cheap flight to Borneo with Air Asia? This is sometimes cheaper? Also you could apply to volunteer in Borneo with a local org which is generally cheaper than a large agency. Or even volunteer for 4 weeks then travel for 4 weeks which will be a lot cheaper and might be easier to fundraise for?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.