Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduated - apply to random 9-5 job or gain experience with PT job? HELP Watch

ReputationRep:
    Graduated -currently in a weekend job (£400p/m so live-able while at parent’s) - want a creative job (Film/TV Production degree)

Been told online/‘high up’ creative people at work experience) =most important thing to get into this area is experience.

I don’t want a random 9-5 job because:
    1) Want a job that interests me/creative.
    2) Everyone I spend time with (boyfriend, best friends) work weekends too, hate the idea of working all week then have no one weekends. (Even nights I would see BF like 4hrs before bed, 2x a fortnight) Want to make the most of sharing free time before we settle down in jobs (still young! Got rest of our lives for 9-5 jobs)
    3) Need weekdays free for work experience to make cv better for creative jobs (recently had experience; TV/design places and told previous work experience made them accept me in interviews)

BUT:
    Struggling financially (no overtime, owe parents rent after putting it off/they struggle financially, want to interrail 3 wks in summer before any full time job)
    Considered part-time reception jobs (admin experience could contribute to future creative jobs in office role?) as well as keeping weekend job- some reception jobs are half days but is this pointless? Are 5 day week reception jobs (8am-1pm) pointless? When would I do work experience? Experience isn’t as common as I’d like and need money now– what should I do?!

Baically: Social life isn't everything but money isn't either if it means I spend all my time working and no time seeing anyone/making experiences with them while I'm young (but I need money for these experiences..?.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have a lot of conflicting priorities. You've got to work out what's more important to you.

Remember things are never permanent. You might have to compromise in the short-medium term to get what you want over a longer period of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRT391)
    Graduated -currently in a weekend job (£400p/m so live-able while at parent’s) - want a creative job (Film/TV Production degree)

Been told online/‘high up’ creative people at work experience) =most important thing to get into this area is experience.

I don’t want a random 9-5 job because:
    1) Want a job that interests me/creative.
    2) Everyone I spend time with (boyfriend, best friends) work weekends too, hate the idea of working all week then have no one weekends. (Even nights I would see BF like 4hrs before bed, 2x a fortnight) Want to make the most of sharing free time before we settle down in jobs (still young! Got rest of our lives for 9-5 jobs)
    3) Need weekdays free for work experience to make cv better for creative jobs (recently had experience; TV/design places and told previous work experience made them accept me in interviews)

BUT:
    Struggling financially (no overtime, owe parents rent after putting it off/they struggle financially, want to interrail 3 wks in summer before any full time job)
    Considered part-time reception jobs (admin experience could contribute to future creative jobs in office role?) as well as keeping weekend job- some reception jobs are half days but is this pointless? Are 5 day week reception jobs (8am-1pm) pointless? When would I do work experience? Experience isn’t as common as I’d like and need money now– what should I do?!

Baically: Social life isn't everything but money isn't either if it means I spend all my time working and no time seeing anyone/making experiences with them while I'm young (but I need money for these experiences..?.)
    If you are really that desperate for money then you would have to work weekends (every penny adds up as they say).
    When I graduated I obviously struggled to get by financially but I had no choice but to work weekends because my full time job couldn't pay for everything.
    Like the above poster said, you need to work out what your priorities are if money is that important to you then you have to do everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You seem to have a lot of conflicting priorities. You've got to work out what's more important to you.

Remember things are never permanent. You might have to compromise in the short-medium term to get what you want over a longer period of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totally agree with this. You need to decide what's important to you. Right now what I'm getting from your post is that you prioritize socializing and seeing friends. Being an adult is about taking responsibility and being able to compromise on these things in the short term (because if we're being honest all of us would like to spend the week with friends rather than work) to reach longer term goals as the above poster said.

At the moment I would prioritize work experience even if that means you're low on money for a while (since creative industries tend not to pay much for work experience as I'm sure you know) as this is what will ultimately progress your long term goals. If you're lucky you might be able to get an internship that is paid and this will help solve the money issue as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.