The Student Room Group

why is my boyfriend so forward with me?

We were friends only for a couple of weeks before he asked me out, and he said instantly he doesn't want a casual relationship with me, he wants it serious. I thought okay that's sweet, me too. We've been together for a month and he asked me a few days ago how many children I wanted, he said he wanted 4 and I said 2, he said 'okay what about if we have 3?' I said okay 3. He also always says whenever we meet 'if we're married we'll both do this, that etc'. He told his parents about me a month in too, whereas I was waiting to tell them a few months later. Yesterday I was telling him about a friend getting married next year, he said 'haha maybe it'll be us next year? -wink' and we talked about locations.

It's flattering that he thinks so forwardly about me, but isn't it a bit soon for these talks? I was with my ex for 15 months, we talked about kids briefly once and never marriage or anything!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
We were friends only for a couple of weeks before he asked me out, and he said instantly he doesn't want a casual relationship with me, he wants it serious. I thought okay that's sweet, me too. We've been together for a month and he asked me a few days ago how many children I wanted, he said he wanted 4 and I said 2, he said 'okay what about if we have 3?' I said okay 3. He also always says whenever we meet 'if we're married we'll both do this, that etc'. He told his parents about me a month in too, whereas I was waiting to tell them a few months later. Yesterday I was telling him about a friend getting married next year, he said 'haha maybe it'll be us next year? -wink' and we talked about locations.

It's flattering that he thinks so forwardly about me, but isn't it a bit soon for these talks? I was with my ex for 15 months, we talked about kids briefly once and never marriage or anything!

"Too soon" is relative. It's how you feel, if you feel like it why not, if not just tell him and you can discuss it, if he doesn't like the fact that you're not ready then he probably isn't truly ready either.....
yeah to me it would be way too soon as well, I've been with my partner 6 years and we're not having those conversations (we have had the 'when will be ready' 'not for a while yet' conversation so we are on the same page!) - I think you should talk to him if you think he's moving too fast and let him know that you are serious but it needs to slow down or you might end up witha proposal in a few months...
That's so weird :lol:
Reply 4
Original post by doodle_333
yeah to me it would be way too soon as well, I've been with my partner 6 years and we're not having those conversations (we have had the 'when will be ready' 'not for a while yet' conversation so we are on the same page!) - I think you should talk to him if you think he's moving too fast and let him know that you are serious but it needs to slow down or you might end up witha proposal in a few months...

yeah I actually do feel like he's going to propose to me or something next year which is too soon because of what he says, I'm not even 21 years old yet, fresh out of university in a few months and I need to get a stable job, a house, a car, I'm not ready physically or mentally for marriage yet haha. He says things to me like 'you're the last girl I will ever be with', I always just take that as meaning he hopes that we won't break up.
At least he's committed, that's a good thing
yeah I actually do feel like he's going to propose to me or something next year which is too soon because of what he says, I'm not even 21 years old yet, fresh out of university in a few months and I need to get a stable job, a house, a car, I'm not ready physically or mentally for marriage yet haha. He says things to me like 'you're the last girl I will ever be with', I always just take that as meaning he hopes that we won't break up.

It depends what you want out of life at the moment really, if you want similar things i wouldnt say it was too forward, but it seems like you haven't thought about those things yet (although i wouldnt say age is that relevant with this just whether you mentally want those things) whereas as he could have. I think you need to seriously speak to him and tell him you don't want anything serious in the near future, so that if he does he knows now rather than feeling lead along on things like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
It depends what you want out of life at the moment really, if you want similar things i wouldnt say it was too forward, but it seems like you haven't thought about those things yet (although i wouldnt say age is that relevant with this just whether you mentally want those things) whereas as he could have. I think you need to seriously speak to him and tell him you don't want anything serious in the near future, so that if he does he knows now rather than feeling lead along on things like that.

I would happily marry him in the future, he's the exact type of guy I have been looking for and he has all the traits in a man that I like. I'm crazy in love with him. It's just I'm not ready to take the next step, not for a few years. I don't just want to marry him and be in a position where I'm still job hunting, barely being able to afford a house etc. I want to get married when I'm financially stable and fairly independent, I want us to do things sensibly. I'm a bit anxious though obviously that one day we'll be out and he'll just propose or something :colondollar:
I think you should have that talk with him and make sure you're on the same page. Let him know that you'd happily do all of those things in the future but right now it's too soon for you.
I would happily marry him in the future, he's the exact type of guy I have been looking for and he has all the traits in a man that I like. I'm crazy in love with him. It's just I'm not ready to take the next step, not for a few years. I don't just want to marry him and be in a position where I'm still job hunting, barely being able to afford a house etc. I want to get married when I'm financially stable and fairly independent, I want us to do things sensibly. I'm a bit anxious though obviously that one day we'll be out and he'll just propose or something :colondollar:

Well tell him straight that you dont want to get married for a good few years yet and see what he says to that :smile: you just need to make sure you're on the same page about marriage.

just tell him you want it too but not yet! you're unlikely to really put him off if he genuinely wants to marry you - he'll be happy to wait

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending