Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Adult tonsillectomy with a cold Watch

Like with most people who will get their tonsils removed I get tonsillitis a lot! I've had it since childhood but because of various reasons I couldn't have my tonsils removed until now (I'm 21). I'm supposed to have them removed in a few days time and I've been up most of the night unable to sleep because I've got a really stuffy nose and am coming out in a cold for the second time this winter 😩
    I really really don't want to have to cancel the operation or have I be cancelled on the day because I've waited so long for this and tonsillitis affects me a lot. I'm doing a vocal course so having time off is very difficult so I just wanted some advice on what to do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Like with most people who will get their tonsils removed I get tonsillitis a lot! I've had it since childhood but because of various reasons I couldn't have my tonsils removed until now (I'm 21). I'm supposed to have them removed in a few days time and I've been up most of the night unable to sleep because I've got a really stuffy nose and am coming out in a cold for the second time this winter 😩
    I really really don't want to have to cancel the operation or have I be cancelled on the day because I've waited so long for this and tonsillitis affects me a lot. I'm doing a vocal course so having time off is very difficult so I just wanted some advice on what to do
    Call the hospital and tell them that you have a cold at the moment. They will tell you if it is okay to continue or if it will need to be postponed. There are two main reasons for postpoining surgery if you are ill, firstly it means you're not bringing your illness into a hospital and spreading it and secondly it is possible for some illnesses to interfere with surgery and it could make you more at risk of complications. A cold is pretty minor so they may say that it is okay for you to have the surgery, but you do want to check just to be safe and so they can take any necessary precautions.
    I had an infection when I was scheduled for my tonsillectomy and I was told it was fine to continue, so it is possible they will say it's fine for you too. You don't want any complications though, believe me, so if they say it needs to be postponed remember it's for the best.

Thank you! I was still able to have my tonsils out and am recovering well luckily. Can't wait to never get tonsillitis ever again.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you! I was still able to have my tonsils out and am recovering well luckily. Can't wait to never get tonsillitis ever again.
    Glad you could still have it done and it all went well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.