Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just a few questions

In my last feedback I was told that in my bibliography I have to distinguish between primary and secondary sources (is this like, the set texts vs everything I'm citing?). How do I go about wording this, it is literally "primary sources" sub heading and "secondary sources" heading? Are there any other distinctions between primary and secondary sources other than the thing you're analysing? I don't know why I'm so confused by this.

Second question: Do I have to reference things that I have looked at but not included in footnotes? Is that recommended? If so, is there a separate section I need to distinguish this also?

(Our uni uses the MHRA style guide if that helps, although this is very unclear on how to separate each section)

Thank you!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by KatieRoss)
    Just a few questions

In my last feedback I was told that in my bibliography I have to distinguish between primary and secondary sources (is this like, the set texts vs everything I'm citing?). How do I go about wording this, it is literally "primary sources" sub heading and "secondary sources" heading? Are there any other distinctions between primary and secondary sources other than the thing you're analysing? I don't know why I'm so confused by this.

Second question: Do I have to reference things that I have looked at but not included in footnotes? Is that recommended? If so, is there a separate section I need to distinguish this also?

(Our uni uses the MHRA style guide if that helps, although this is very unclear on how to separate each section)

Thank you!
    Primary Sources are the original documents/ objects created under the certain time period. e.g. Magna Carta

Secondary Sources are the information created later by someone who did not create the original document e.g. Book about Magna Carta in the 20th Century

Yes just put both as sub-headings.

I am not sure whether you have to cite the stuff that you didn't footnote, however, when in doubt overcite rather than undercite, so I would include them in your final bibliography if they are relevant just to be safe. Do not put this under another sub-heading.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help

I have done a lot of outside reading but I haven't included it in the footnotes, I do kind of want to include them? Would it be confusing where they will be mixed in with all the stuff I have cited? Ahh I don't know lol
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by KatieRoss)
    Thanks for your help

I have done a lot of outside reading but I haven't included it in the footnotes, I do kind of want to include them? Would it be confusing where they will be mixed in with all the stuff I have cited? Ahh I don't know lol
    I would do it, just because perhaps you had included some parts of that book inadvertently in your essay and it would be better to cite that. Nah, it won't be that confusing I think. Overcote rather than undercite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.