Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To atheists: how do you cope knowing that there is no heaven? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I recently bought Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion' to learn about atheism. I've never been especially religious; I went to church when I was a kid but I've never sat down and read a bible or really ever paid attention to what was going on. However, I've always had a belief in heaven and that my deceased relatives are looking down on me.

After coming out as gay three years ago and facing prejudice I've really been wanting confirmation that religion and thus homophobia is all rubbish, hence why I've bought the book.

However, now that I have it I am terrified to read it. I think a big part of me knows that God and therefore heaven isn't real but I can't bring myself to think that there is no afterlife and that I won't see any deceased relatives again. The idea of heaven gives me a lovely feeling of security.

As much as I want complete confirmation that I am perfectly fine the way I am, I think I will find it so hard to cope knowing that there isn't any heaven.

So, to any atheists out there (or preferably those who once believed in God but now don't) how do you cope knowing that once you're dead that is it? Or that you won't see any of your family again if you were to die? To me its just too scary....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryRorrzShikari)
    So, to any atheists out there (or preferably those who once believed in God but now don't) how do you cope knowing that once you're dead that is it? Or that you won't see any of your family again if you were to die? To me its just too scary....
    By making sure I enjoy life to my full potential. Unfortunately when bad things happen there is no consolation except to say "nature is harsh" and watch videos of Wild Dogs ripping gazelles apart to put things into perspective for me.

But if something awful happens, like if one of my family died, I would go through a phase of religiosity purely because I can't bare the reality, but I would come to my senses in a few years time and just say to myself "nature is harsh".

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I recently bought Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion' to learn about atheism. I've never been especially religious; I went to church when I was a kid but I've never sat down and read a bible or really ever paid attention to what was going on. However, I've always had a belief in heaven and that my deceased relatives are looking down on me.

After coming out as gay three years ago and facing prejudice I've really been wanting confirmation that religion and thus homophobia is all rubbish, hence why I've bought the book.

However, now that I have it I am terrified to read it. I think a big part of me knows that God and therefore heaven isn't real but I can't bring myself to think that there is no afterlife and that I won't see any deceased relatives again. The idea of heaven gives me a lovely feeling of security.

As much as I want complete confirmation that I am perfectly fine the way I am, I think I will find it so hard to cope knowing that there isn't any heaven.

How do you know that when you die you won't see your family again? How are you 100% certain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well not by making up a story just to feel better about life. But thanks for admitting that that is what religion essentially is.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Touchy subject.
    I believe in the Greek Gods (I don't do all the mumbo-jumbo sacrifices to them though), therefore I believe in that concept of the afterlife.
    Believe what you want.
    If there is a heaven in your view, then that's where you'll go when you die.
    Hope this helps your dilemma
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Religion exists because people can't accept that their whole existence is A) Pointless and B) Finite. So they seek comfort in the idea that when you die, you don't seize to exist.

ReputationRep:
    Wanting to believe in something doesn't make it exist.

The best way to come to terms with your mortality is to make sure to live your life to the fullest. I have an ambition to do something that I will be remembered for, so at least my name will live on after I've passed away. I'm also a huge advocate of investment in life-extension technology, because I must admit the idea of death (i.e. no longer existing) terrifies me. I'd happily put my brain into a big metal suit for example, if it were capable of keeping me alive. So let's hope that this century is fruitful in that venture
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist because I just don't see how religions can be true; if I die and there's heaven/hell it'd be an "oh, I was wrong" moment. If I die and there isn't, I'll be dead anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

The concept of death is very warped in our world thanks to primal instincts to stay alive. However, the reality of being dead is simply that you stop thinking, or feeling anything. It's not particularly bad at all. In those two things I've listed, it simply states the absence of certain traits you experience in life that can be both positive and negative. Death is simply the removal of both from a first person perspective.
    So, you would stop feeling happy, but also stop feeling sad. You would never feel lonely or bored. There's nothing all too terrifying about being dead at all. So, without a belief of God, or heaven, the only thing to be personally afraid of from death, is that if your life is good, when you die that will be over, and that's the limit of it.
    For dealing with other people dying, I feel the best way to look at it would be to think that they are now at peace, without any unrest to torment them in life any longer. Everyone has there own way of dealing with the loss of loved ones, but just remember that they're at peace, and its your turn to enjoy what life provides in their place, so don't waste it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I m pretty accepting that I will die but then I won't feel anything anymore and it being inevitable means there's no point in me panicking over it.
    I actually started to look at atheism around the time my dad died and realising there's was no god or afterlife helped me accept that dad was gone and that was it, having the hope that I d see a dead person again wasn't helping me moving in with my life. If anything my atheist beliefs help me get through grief.

ReputationRep:
    I can't bring myself to think that there is no afterlife and that I won't see any deceased relatives again.
    You seem to be forgetting that, if there were a heavenly afterlife and you did meet your ancestors there, they would mainly hold homosexuality as an abomination (as that is what their god's view of it is), and wouldn't necessarily give you the happy reunion that you anticipate. Either that or you would meet them in hell. Neither is something you should look forward to.

It's all just another logical nail in the coffin of superstitious beliefs.

Death involves going back to the state you were in before you were born - nothingness.

ReputationRep:
    It's great. I would rather have no after life lol.

ReputationRep:
    "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconveneience from it" -- Mark Twain

We are all going to die. That is an unavoidable fact. I do not worry about what I will do if I can't control it. Once I am dead it will also be of absolutely no concern to me. I'd much rather enjoy my life than worry about what happens when it is over.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Is nothing really so scary?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm not a pure atheist (these people seem to be as devout to their cause as people that practise religion), however I don't believe in God and feel that even IF he does exist, he doesn't deserve my respect due to the amount of suffering/nastiness in this world.

I guess with that knowledge its helped me focus on the present and my life on this world, wanting to do as much as possible while I'm still here, not having 'heaven' as a safety net for when you finally bite the dust prevents me from being lazy. :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. A lot of them have been really re-assuring!

ReputationRep:
    To religious people: how do you cope knowing there is a hell?

ReputationRep:
    If I'll only ever experience life
    why worry about death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I'm an atheist because I just don't see how religions can be true; if I die and there's heaven/hell it'd be an "oh, I was wrong" moment. If I die and there isn't, I'll be dead anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a bit more than 'oh I was wrong'.

If a religious person dies and there is a God and a heaven/hell then they'll essentially be saved and rewarded for believing. If they die and there isn't a God or heaven/hell, they will be no worse off than an atheist

ReputationRep:
    I have an eternity to worry about death when I am dead and I'm not even sure if there is an afterlife. My advice, be the best person you can be and the rest will fall into place

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.