Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To atheists: how do you cope knowing that there is no heaven? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medlam)
    To religious people: how do you cope knowing there is a hell?
    The strange thing is that few, if any, believe they are destined for hell. They all know that they have sinned but hope and believe that their god will be merciful to them, even though the scriptural accounts show that it has a record of vengeful acts against people who have committed the same sins.

It is an example of eternal optimism.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think of myself as an atheist, and I honestly don't even think about the concept of death 90% of the time. If you're living the life you want to, and making sure you enjoy every aspect of it that you can, then I don't think death will be an issue. When it eventually comes around, you'll either find out that there is an afterlife, or you won't know anything at all because you'll be dead.

"These things happen, and there's nothing you can do about it. They aren't necessarily planned, and they aren't always bad, and they aren't always good, but they simply are. That's life"

ReputationRep:
    Live as religiously acceptable as you can, ask for forgiveness when necessary and never stop believing in your God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryRorrzShikari)
    Hi there,

I recently bought Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion' to learn about atheism. I've never been especially religious; I went to church when I was a kid but I've never sat down and read a bible or really ever paid attention to what was going on. However, I've always had a belief in heaven and that my deceased relatives are looking down on me.

After coming out as gay three years ago and facing prejudice I've really been wanting confirmation that religion and thus homophobia is all rubbish, hence why I've bought the book.

However, now that I have it I am terrified to read it. I think a big part of me knows that God and therefore heaven isn't real but I can't bring myself to think that there is no afterlife and that I won't see any deceased relatives again. The idea of heaven gives me a lovely feeling of security.

As much as I want complete confirmation that I am perfectly fine the way I am, I think I will find it so hard to cope knowing that there isn't any heaven.

So, to any atheists out there (or preferably those who once believed in God but now don't) how do you cope knowing that once you're dead that is it? Or that you won't see any of your family again if you were to die? To me its just too scary....
    Read it.You are looking at it the wrong way though.You are saying that what's the point of it we are all going to die anyway and therefore life is meaningless.Really you should just be grateful for your existence.The odds against any one person being here are millions to one. The way I look at it is that I have essentially been dead for billions of years anyway.And now I get to live for 100 years if I'm lucky.The universe quite possibly expands forever and ever. That means that I have to see and do as much as possible in 100 years. Being an atheist gives more meaning to life because you realise that time is limited and you only get one shot.That means that every moment counts.Its better to see things as they really are though and not as a comforting fairy tale.

ReputationRep:
    how do I "cope"?
    the same way you cope with the fact that you're never going to win the lottery

Not an atheist but I think Heaven was just made up so ppl believe they have a purpose of doing good and so they don't think their life was pointless

ReputationRep:
      Death is a part of life. We don't need heaven to cope, it's just an idea that has been forced down our throats since birth. Once a family member dies, they are gone. No more pain, no more suffering. Sure, you'll never be able to feel their embrace or share a joke with them again, but because they are gone for good, you can remember the good times instead of constantly focusing on seeing them again. What is the point? They're dead, not you, so why should you spend your life mourning them when you enjoyed life with them while they were still alive. Put it this way, would you really feel better that your family will wait maybe 80 years to see you again, or no that they are gone and nothing can trouble them anymore. That's my opinion anyway, and that's how I got over the loss of family members.

ReputationRep:
      Cope by doing what your religion tells you. Pretty simple really. Also, just avoid the things it says to avoid. Much more simple

This would be my response as a Muslim. But tbh it is scary thinking about hell. Like just the descriptions of it make me genuinely scared to a whole new level. But then again, the description of paradise is just beauty and luxury to a whole new level.

ReputationRep:
      There's also hell, OP.

ReputationRep:
      What is there to cope with? The idea of spending eternity in a place where you have to worship God all day sounds more like hell to me.

ReputationRep:
      Not all religions believe in the concept of heaven, either.

ReputationRep:
      how do you cope knowing that once you're dead that is it? Or that you won't see any of your family again if you were to die? To me its just too scary....
      We don't know that there isn't a heaven, but it does smack of wishful thinking, and there is no evidence for it. The best that I can hope for is that my consciousness will exist again at some point - but we have no evidence of that.

Life is scary - we don't know how or when it will end. I'd concentrate on living as well as you can - do whatever makes you happy (without hurting others) and try to stay healthy. Look at what's around you - the Earth is pretty amazing, as is what humans have and can achieve.

ReputationRep:
      How could you cope knowing there is a hell?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Good bloke)
      The strange thing is that few, if any, believe they are destined for hell. They all know that they have sinned but hope and believe that their god will be merciful to them, even though the scriptural accounts show that it has a record of vengeful acts against people who have committed the same sins.

It is an example of eternal optimism.
      My religion teaches me that we gain forgiveness if we repent. Pretty sensible if you think about it. Repenting involves not doing it EVER AGAIN, Asking for forgiveness SINCERELY (some people don't truly care) and being a bit more religious I guess (trying to be much better).

That would be one aspect to look at it but another from the counter point would be it is an example of how merciful, kind and forgiving our Lord is and how your religion keeps you towards good and says not to go near evil.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cherryred90s)
      It's a bit more than 'oh I was wrong'.

If a religious person dies and there is a God and a heaven/hell then they'll essentially be saved and rewarded for believing. If they die and there isn't a God or heaven/hell, they will be no worse off than an atheist
      That's only assuming the god that religious person believed in is the real one. Considering there have been thousands of gods in history, a religious person can be just as wrong about their god as an atheist can be about his existence/non-existence.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
      That's only assuming the god that religious person believed in is the real one. Considering there have been thousands of gods in history, a religious person can be just as wrong about their god as an atheist can be about his existence/non-existence.
      True,but that also depends on the religion. Some religions (such as Islam) believe that Christians will still be saved despite there being lots of variation in their beliefs

ReputationRep:
      Hi there,

I recently bought Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion' to learn about atheism. I've never been especially religious; I went to church when I was a kid but I've never sat down and read a bible or really ever paid attention to what was going on. However, I've always had a belief in heaven and that my deceased relatives are looking down on me.

After coming out as gay three years ago and facing prejudice I've really been wanting confirmation that religion and thus homophobia is all rubbish, hence why I've bought the book.

However, now that I have it I am terrified to read it. I think a big part of me knows that God and therefore heaven isn't real but I can't bring myself to think that there is no afterlife and that I won't see any deceased relatives again. The idea of heaven gives me a lovely feeling of security.

As much as I want complete confirmation that I am perfectly fine the way I am, I think I will find it so hard to cope knowing that there isn't any heaven.

So, to any atheists out there (or preferably those who once believed in God but now don't) how do you cope knowing that once you're dead that is it? Or that you won't see any of your family again if you were to die? To me its just too scary....
      It's a complicated subject - and yes, i'm probably more agnostic than atheist but it's up to you to what you believe. you have your own values - and Dawkins' views (note: he's a biology professor btw, as interesting as he may be - his views are a bit much - if you want proper philosophy hit Confucius or Lao Tzu) may give you a better view of what else is out there; but it's what you feel is best for you that should guide you. You do not have to follow him word for word, or read everything he has written to confirm your own beliefs. You can give yourself all the time in the world to confirm your convictions if that is what you want.

Religion and Faith are all subjective - so if you want to believe in heaven, you can if that's what makes you happy. The views each person possesses is more like an artist's colour-pallete - some clash, some go together but overall, its unique and beautiful and it's yours. (eg. I believe in some kind of heaven and hell, and maybe even a purgatory. God is a grey area for me, but I believe the body and soul are separate entities - so that is hat I believe. Contradictory, maybe - but who's to say I'm wrong?)

Coming out does take a whole lot of effort - so you've already taken a great step in truly finding yourself. You should be proud and defiant that you have overcome such a big internal struggle Do not let the haters get to you at all...

But - don't worry about proving that religion is rubbish, it's probably super out of date anyway and stuff like "a man must not lie with another man" was probably written in a time where procreation was encouraged. There is a crap-ton of gay priests nowadays - so religion is probably being turned on it's head for the better. (homophobia however, I can agree with. Total BS.)

Not knowing what comes after is the fun part of life Remember, Life is like a box of chocolates, you're never gonna know what you're gonna get.

I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lhoque)
      It's a complicated subject - and yes, i'm probably more agnostic than atheist but it's up to you to what you believe. you have your own values - and Dawkins' views (note: he's a biology professor btw, as interesting as he may be - his views are a bit much - if you want proper philosophy hit Confucius or Lao Tzu) may give you a better view of what else is out there; but it's what you feel is best for you that should guide you. You do not have to follow him word for word, or read everything he has written to confirm your own beliefs. You can give yourself all the time in the world to confirm your convictions if that is what you want.

Religion and Faith are all subjective - so if you want to believe in heaven, you can if that's what makes you happy. The views each person possesses is more like an artist's colour-pallete - some clash, some go together but overall, its unique and beautiful and it's yours. (eg. I believe in some kind of heaven and hell, and maybe even a purgatory. God is a grey area for me, but I believe the body and soul are separate entities - so that is hat I believe. Contradictory, maybe - but who's to say I'm wrong?)

Coming out does take a whole lot of effort - so you've already taken a great step in truly finding yourself. You should be proud and defiant that you have overcome such a big internal struggle Do not let the haters get to you at all...

But - don't worry about proving that religion is rubbish, it's probably super out of date anyway and stuff like "a man must not lie with another man" was probably written in a time where procreation was encouraged. There is a crap-ton of gay priests nowadays - so religion is probably being turned on it's head for the better. (homophobia however, I can agree with. Total BS.)

Not knowing what comes after is the fun part of life Remember, Life is like a box of chocolates, you're never gonna know what you're gonna get.

I hope this helps
      Thanks for the support. I know I shouldn't be bothered what others think of me and I should be proud. However, it seems like every day I meet someone who is against it or will dislike me because of it so it is honestly exhausting and pretty horrible for my self esteem.

I think trying to disprove religion was just to help me get through life a bit easier!

ReputationRep:
      Just like how you know fairy tales don't exist. How is Heaven any different?

ReputationRep:
      Religion isn't the same thing as believing in god, and disputing homophobia in major religions doesn't really disprove the existence of God though

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.