Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2 Year LLB: University of Birmingham, Leeds, Exeter, York or Southampton? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

Can anyone tell me which of these universities are stronger in Law or have a good reputation overall?

I am leaning towards Birmingham but looking for input. I am also applying to Bristol but if I do not get in I need to pick from above.

Can anyone rank the universities from best to worst in terms of reputation/strength in law department?

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    All pretty much the same really, the difference is fairly minimal from an potential employers perspective, especially where it is a PG course.

If I had to rank them, then:

Bristol
    Exeter/York
    Leeds/Southampton

But as I said, that's marginal, and influenced by where I have recruited more students from, which in part is down to how many people apply to city jobs from those universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! What about University of Birmingham? Is it comparable to Exeter level?

I do have an undergraduate degree from University of Toronto and want to do a 2 year LLB from either of these-

Thanks,
    Sarah
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious Student)
    Thanks! What about University of Birmingham? Is it comparable to Exeter level?

I do have an undergraduate degree from University of Toronto and want to do a 2 year LLB from either of these-

Thanks,
    Sarah
    As I said it's incredibly marginal, but probable just below Exeter, but just above Leeds.

Really there is no difference though - employment prospects are driven by everything else before your university name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious Student)
    Can anyone rank the universities from best to worst in terms of reputation/strength in law department?
    in themselves those universities are all much of a muchness, enitrely respectable.

Bristol likely has the strongest alumni network in Law, and certainly will have in London. Leeds and Birmingham will be strong in their respective regions. I wonder how much this need affect you: are you wanting to stay in the UK or go back to Canada afterwards?

York's course is quite new, its Law school is less than a decade old, which means that you aren't for a decade or more going to meet a law firm partner who graduated in Law from York, though there may be some who graduated in something else and did a conversion. The York Law School attracted some interest on opening because of a stated commitment to the problem based learning more usually seen in Medicine. Perhaps that appeals? It's certainly something that makes the course distinctive, though likely not to the degree that the school would want to suggest: https: //www.york.ac.uk/media/law/documents/pbl_guide.pdf

For what difference any of it is going to make, it would make very little even for a home student, I think you might as sensibly choose on cost and location. Bristol, York and Exeter would be regarded as three of the most livable cities in the UK, with Bristol much bigger than the other two and having a city centre location while the others are suburban campuses. Leeds, Southampton and Birmingham would hold less appeal as places in which to live (I mean for me, but comparisons of property prices would suggest I'm not eccentric in this) .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I will most likely go back to Canada after and do an LLM there.

Yes, at York the PBL style is an appeal but doesn't fully seal the deal for me yet.

According to you, why do Leeds, Birmingham and Southampton have less of an appeal for living for you not taking into consideration the property prices angle?

I am concerned most about quality of education/reputation/strong networks and so far Bristol is my top choice followed by the others from which I am trying to determine which is best to worst (or least best); so far the consensus here seems to be that all those choices are respectable and the differences are marginal

Any other input?

ReputationRep:
    Let me know which one you pick! I am an American student who applied to GE LLB programs too and have an acceptance from Bham, I'm really considering the place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.