Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1483694366476-2016494093.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  342.9 KBAttachment 608830608832 hi for this question part c , I am uncertain as I have put FeBr3 for the halogen carrier. However the answer states that the halogen carrier should be AlCl3 instead. And that the reactant should have cl on one end. Is my answer also okay and my drawing ?

Thanks
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Name:  1483694366476-2016494093.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  342.9 KBAttachment 608830608832 hi for this question part c , I am uncertain as I have put FeBr3 for the halogen carrier. However the answer states that the halogen carrier should be AlCl3 instead. And that the reactant should have cl on one end. Is my answer also okay and my drawing ?

Thanks
    FeBr3 is usually prepared 'in-situ' from bromine and iron filings and under these conditions will brominate the ring.

It is not a common reagent in its own right.

Freidel Crafts reactions are usually carried out using AlCl3 as the halogen carrier catalyst. However, in principle there is no reason why your reaction and reagents would not work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.