Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here is my profile:

Academic:
    * First Class Honours in Finance, with additional majors in Econometrics and Economics from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney, Australia which is a Group of Eight (G8) university. Ranked second in my honours class.
    * I've been the recipient of many academic awards at UNSW (having achieved first place in four highly quantitative finance and econometrics courses during my undergraduate years).
    * I have extensive coding background, using softwares such as MATLAB, EVIEWS, SAS, VBA through my honours thesis that focused on foreign currency and the carry trade.

Extra Curriculuar
    * student consulting with 180 Degrees as well as social organisations like Enactus and AIESEC.
    * I've also been president of numerous business societies on campus, one of which I started from scratch in 2015 ( a student business journal).

GMAT: Will take this month- aiming for 660-700.

I am applying for MSc Finance at Imperial, MSc Quantitative Finance at Cass Business School and MSc FInance at Warwick Business School, MSc Finance and MSc Finance and Economics at LSE. What chances do you think I have?

ReputationRep:
    Finance is a doddle at the MSc level, nothing more than CAPM, portfolio theory, APT models, behavioural finance, market efficiency, derivatives and FX market.

I highly suggest you combine the finance with something more quantitative, this means econometrics or mathematics usually. There is a good course at QMUL (Queen Mary, University of London) called MSc Finance and Econometrics. There you will be able to study finance and get the required knowledge in econometrics to implement this theory.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial's finance programme is pretty rigorous, quantitatively (from what I hear).

With regards to your question, definitely. You have a high First. You're definitely competitive at those places. I don't suggest applying to Cass since they're a visible 'tier' lower than the rest of the schools you're applying to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply Tutonic. I am sitting my GMAT soon for the LSE application. If I get around high 600s, would my first class honours mark be able to compensate that? I'm just not sure how my GMAT will come out.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how low a score you end up getting. You should actively aim to get at least a 680+ for gmat with at least 48+ for the quant section to allay any concerns adcoms might have about your mathematical ability. When I say actively aim, I mean you put in conscientious effort to revise the material that's being tested and try a couple mock papers to get a feel of things, rather than just winging it on the actual test day. A 680 isn't entirely difficult to get anyway. Getting a low gmat/gre score only provides the adcoms with questions about the rigour of your programme (since a first class student should be able to get decent standardised test scores).

To put things into perspective, I did the gre last month (since I'm applying to the economics programmes) and managed to get a 700 rough equivalent without too much hassle, with a 91st percentile on the quant section (gre maths is a real joke, compared to gmat). The material covered in these standardised tests are very, shall I say, specific, and to get a decently good score, you need to spend a few days going through the material and familiarise yourself with the way the questions are posed.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget they are also looking for people who can contribute to the course. If you're aiming for 700 GMAT but get 690 that 10 isn't going to kill you, just make sure you put enough effort into the personal statement of what you can bring to the course and motivates you. Another piece of advice I've read is to sit the GMAT 2 weeks after you take it regardless of what grade you get. You can concentrate on the harder quant sides and be better prepared the second time knowing all the ins and outs of taking it the first time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice on GMAT. I want to get your thoughts on Warwick and Cass. I hear a lot of mixed stories about Cass and Warwick. THey are my fall back schools with Imperial and LSE my first two choices. Just wanted some thoughts on Cass and Warwick MSc FInance.

ReputationRep:
    The main difference between Warwick and Cass us that Warwick is a target university while Cass isn't (from what I recall). This will make it considerably easier for you to get a job if you end up attending Warwick over Cass. I personally feel that WBS is also more recognised compared to Cass.

However, Warwick's location is a possible downside. Coventry isn't an entirely fun place to live in, compared to London. Plus, you'll have to hop on the train back and forth in the event you get any interviews and stuff.

All these practical considerations should be meted out since you'll be spending a considerable amount of money on your masters education.

ReputationRep:
    I just got a offer from Cass for MSc Quantitative Finance. Still waiting on Imperial, Warwick, etc. I might just wait till I hear back from the other schools based on what you guys have said.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine, it's not hard to get into the abovementioned unis as long as you are solid on paper. All the best!
    I'm reading Mphil F&E at Cam

ReputationRep:
    Even the LSE Program? I hear its very competitive. I've applied for Cambridge too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm also from Australia (Bachelor in Economics from UQ). I've been offered a MSC program (in Economics & Management) at LSE and currently waiting for Imperial to respond. I've rarely found Aussie here so really glad to meet you ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy2534)
    Hey

I'm also from Australia (Bachelor in Economics from UQ). I've been offered a MSC program (in Economics & Management) at LSE and currently waiting for Imperial to respond. I've rarely found Aussie here so really glad to meet you ^_^
    THanks Sammy, nice to meet someone who replies when I am awake! BTW could you share me your profile? I've applied for LSE a few days ago. Were you a first class student and took GMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyt92)
    THanks Sammy, nice to meet someone who replies when I am awake! BTW could you share me your profile? I've applied for LSE a few days ago. Were you a first class student and took GMAT?
    PS: I got an offer from imperial (MSc Finance) and Warwick (MSc Financial MAthematics) a few weeks go.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I'm from University of Queensland doing the Bachelor of Arts degree with major in Economics. My overall GPA is 5.8/7 but my Economics major results is 6.25/7 with a Dean commendation award (I think this is the one that LSE might have interested in as my overall GPA is slightly moderate).

It took me about 4 months for LSE to accept (tremendous long) me and I just applied to Imperial after reading your post since last year Imperial didn't accept 3-year degree but they do this year with a minimum requirements of 5.5/7 (same as LSE) from one of G8 universities. So right now I'm just waiting for Imperial although I'm pretty much leaning towards LSE now ^_^

You have a wonderful performance from UNSW which is G8 like mine so you should definitely be on the right track to get in these elite Universities. I really hope to see you in London later this year ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I'm from University of Queensland doing the Bachelor of Arts degree with major in Economics. My overall GPA is 5.8/7 but my Economics major results is 6.25/7 with a Dean commendation award (I think this is the one that LSE might have interested in as my overall GPA is slightly moderate).

It took me about 4 months for LSE to accept (tremendous long) me and I just applied to Imperial after reading your post since last year Imperial didn't accept 3-year degree but they do this year with a minimum requirements of 5.5/7 (same as LSE) from one of G8 universities. So right now I'm just waiting for Imperial although I'm pretty much leaning towards LSE now ^_^

You have a wonderful performance from UNSW which is G8 like mine so you should definitely be on the right track to get in these elite Universities. I really hope to see you in London later this year ^_^
    Thanks for your reply. DId you sit the GMAT too?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. DId you sit the GMAT too?
    No but I submitted the GRE instead. My Quant scores was 167/170 but 2 other parts have been terrible I'd say (141 and 2.5). Luckily LSE (and possibly Imperial) tend to take Quant part more heavily.

I really wish you a successful application in all places so that we may possibly meet at one of those elite Universities.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

What were your extracurriculars like? are they very important?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.