Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to turn into a athiest 17 year old girl, when your parents are muslim? Without being shunned or disappointed by them?

ReputationRep:
    Have you honestly considered the positive impact having Islam in your life can have? I would recommend that you do plenty of research before making such an important life decision. Wishing you good luck with whatever decision you make

ReputationRep:
    You could still publicly practice religion whilst privately rejecting Islam and God if you feel your parents may respond negatively

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How to turn into a athiest 17 year old girl, when your parents are muslim? Without being shunned or disappointed by them?
    I'm no expert myself, I've been an atheist all my life and quite happy.

Would a traditional muslim family be happier with this, than if you converted to a different religion?

ReputationRep:
    You know your parents better than we do:

Are they fundamentalists? Prepare to be sent away or isolated.
    Are they conservative? Prepare to be treated differently.
    Are they liberal? Maybe you'll be fine, they might just hope you convert again

ReputationRep:
    Salaam sister, I just answered a similar thread so I'll say the same thing I said there, but to address the specific concerns you have:

1) Life is a test (as you will see in what I say below). I know you have heard this many, many times, and it may seem futile to think 'why did Allah create mankind if he knew we were going to sin and do bad deeds?' 'Doesn't he already know exactly how many bad and good actions we will commit anyway? So what's the point?'
    I have asked myself and others this very question. From what I know now, Allah has a purpose to everything he does. We may question why He does things, but this is because know nothing compared to him. Who are we to question the master of all creation?
    Here's a video by Nouman Ali Khan to watch about why we follow Allah and surrender to him regardless of what me think of his commandments and Islam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXq1cbWsGE

As a fellow Muslim brother, I just want to start off by saying you are your own individual and it is up to you to decide whether Islam is the right path for you.

I sincerely believe that being a Muslim, no matter how sinful and impious they are, Allah will always be willing to forgive them if they genuinely repent with regret over their actions. One of his names is 'Al-Ghafur', meaning 'Most Forgiving.' Surely, if he wills, he is merciful enough to be able to forgive any sins one may have committed, if one repents with sincere, genuine regret.

Next, doubting His existence. If I am honest with you, I have also pondered over this topic. Is there really an Almighty Lord that created us? Can we simply explain our existence through science alone?

To that I say this: Just take yourself for example. Think about the body you have - the 206 strong bones that keep you upright, the lean, powerful muscles that allow you to move, the miracle of a brain that has allowed Mankind to think up and create every single thing around us, from our possessions, to our cities, to our cars, to our technology. Life exists in the smallest of organisms, from the tiny ant to the great beasts of the world. Every organ has a function in every body, and without even one, we wouldn't be able to survive in some cases.

Doesn't that make you marvel at the world? I, for one, cannot believe that we simply 'popped into existence'. And while Darwin may put forward his theory of evolution, I then say: Who created the monkeys? Which then begs the question 'Who created and is the master of the Universe?' His explanation is a theory, and nothing more. A way of explaining how we came to be human. But there had to be a grand-designer with limitless amounts of power and imagination.

In many Islamic stories, we see God telling his prophets how He 'knows what [we] do not'. And in time, we come to realise his intentions for everything. Science is simply our way of explaining what has already been thought of and designed by Allah. We are insignificant in his presence; to think about the advances of mankind from 'cavemen' to now, we think is a massive feat. But who was it that gave us the ability to do so in the first place? Who breathed life into us and let us roam the Earth he has created for us?

Think about Earth: we have oil, gas and coal for our own use. These resources were created through the decomposition of the 'dinosaurs' - Where did they come from? How is it possible for them to have survived for millions of years and then died, leaving behind stuff we are able to use to our benefit?

Next, it is the only planet where water is found and is neither too hot, nor too cold for life. We are in the perfect 'Goldilock' Zone, and this cannot be explained as a matter of 'chance'. It can only be that God has created man for a purpose, and that purpose Islam teaches, is to worship Allah alone, and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is his servant and his messenger (1st pillar of Islam).

*Sorry for preaching, but I do think it is beneficial to consider how great and magical this world is by itself. So then imagine the hereafter: Heaven. Imagine being at total blissful peace, for eternity. Pretty great, huh? I think so too.

And so this life being our 'admissions test' into paradise is a pretty sweet deal - sacrifice what, 60 years of following the commandments conveyed to us by Muhammad (pbuh) which is pretty calm and easy to do itself, in order to have a never-ending lifetime of whatever I want? WHERE DO I SIGN?! (right here https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...es/biggrin.png)

It is said that the beauties and pleasures of heaven surpass what we can even imagine. Everything you've ever wanted to do, see and explore, you can do in your own free time - it's not like you've got anywhere else to go! AND IT's FOREVER! And, it's said that even before you think of something you want in paradise, you will see it given to you (I know, mind boggling! http://static.tsrfiles.co.uk/images/smilies/hmmmm.gif)I can't help but crack a smile whenever I think of it!

As I've said before, this life is ultimately a test. To see if we can withhold and control our desires and lusts and follow the commandments of our creator. I myself have had a lot of personal things to go through, but having a regular set time to pray in a day really does help establish remembrance of God and that ultimately, we will all die and have to answer for our deeds.

All good comes from Allah, and we should be thankful: Allah says in the Quran "If you give thanks, I will give you more" [to be thankful for]. He is the 'Most Generous' and after my prayer, I always thank him for his mercy and ask him and him only for whatever I want in life, for without his approval, I am helpless.

It may seem like it is pointless, asking for help if you're not sure if he's there. Of course I don't believe I have manged to do it in such a small space, but hopefully I have strengthened your belief in God's presence. He is there, and is just waiting for us to ask him for his forgiveness and mercy. It is literally a case of 'don't ask, don't get'. A well-known hadith says “Take one step towards me, I will take ten steps towards you. Walk towards me, I will run towards you.” He is happy when he sees that his creation is asking for things from him alone - this is why it is best to ask for help in times of hardship from him first - make prayer and he will help in a way and at a time that may not seem right to us, but correct in his faultless judgement.

Therefore look at any suffering as a blessing - the more struggle you can overcome and still remember Allah, the more reward and satisfaction there is waiting for you in the next life, insha-Allah. It is why the great Sahaabah (followers) of Muhammad (pbuh) will reap such huge rewards in the next life, due to the great struggles they faced.

Of course, we cannot gain rewards in the same way as they did, spreading the word of Islam, starting it up and fighting oppression - or can we? Right now, I am spreading the message, and am not afraid to voice my differences in opinion to people like Trump. But remember - you will benefit from the struggles you are given, as each one you pass, you have earned yourself a greater prize, one that on-one else can take away, rightfully earned.

As to who to talk to, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here every once-in-a-while. But if you'd like some professional advice, an Imaam of your local mosque would be very helpful I think. They will be able to answer any questions you may have, like the ones you mentioned above, and give a genuine, professional answer.

As a result, I feel very grateful for being born a Muslim - it has been very easy for me to get into learning about Islam, being tolerant, the reward of sacrificing this life for the hereafter. I really can't imagine me having to come into Islam from outside, especially with the media (and people like Farage & TRUMP https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/angry.gif) slating Islam (and ISIS and these so called 'extreme Muslims' which they can't be if they're not following the actions of our prophet (SAW) anyway...)

This is why I urge you to re-consider. I know it's a lot to take in, and you must be feeling very torn right now. I'm always be here if you need to PM and discuss things, but otherwise take the time to think over what Islam really stands for (it literally means 'submission'https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...ilies/wink.png. We are but a simple creation of Allah - he deserves to expect us to worship him, and rightly so. Without him, there would be no 'us'. {No TSR even, OMDS imagine that https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...ies/colone.gif}

But seriously, if you wanna talk, I'll try and check my messages every-so often. Hope I've been any help https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/.../smilies/h.gif

Thank YOU for bothering to read all of THIS ^^^ http://static.tsrfiles.co.uk/images/smilies/clap2.gif

(Some stuff to look at to help remind you of the beauty of Islam https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbcD0Vku_I
    http://thebeautyofislam.tumblr.com/
    https://www.islamreligion.com/articl...ties-of-islam/
    http://www.khilafah.com/the-sahaba/
    http://islamicpamphlets.com/why-isla...fits-of-islam/

(Original post by Anonymous)
      To simply become an atheist requires nothing more than ceasing to believe in God(s). If you don't want to disappoint your parents, then you'll just have to keep your beliefs to yourself. That's not practical in the long-term, however.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BrainyBengali)
      Salaam sister, I just answered a similar thread so I'll say the same thing I said there, but to address the specific concerns you have:

1) Life is a test (as you will see in what I say below). I know you have heard this many, many times, and it may seem futile to think 'why did Allah create mankind if he knew we were going to sin and do bad deeds?' 'Doesn't he already know exactly how many bad and good actions we will commit anyway? So what's the point?'
      I have asked myself and others this very question. From what I know now, Allah has a purpose to everything he does. We may question why He does things, but this is because know nothing compared to him. Who are we to question the master of all creation?
      Here's a video by Nouman Ali Khan to watch about why we follow Allah and surrender to him regardless of what me think of his commandments and Islam.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXq1cbWsGE

As a fellow Muslim brother, I just want to start off by saying you are your own individual and it is up to you to decide whether Islam is the right path for you.

I sincerely believe that being a Muslim, no matter how sinful and impious they are, Allah will always be willing to forgive them if they genuinely repent with regret over their actions. One of his names is 'Al-Ghafur', meaning 'Most Forgiving.' Surely, if he wills, he is merciful enough to be able to forgive any sins one may have committed, if one repents with sincere, genuine regret.

Next, doubting His existence. If I am honest with you, I have also pondered over this topic. Is there really an Almighty Lord that created us? Can we simply explain our existence through science alone?

To that I say this: Just take yourself for example. Think about the body you have - the 206 strong bones that keep you upright, the lean, powerful muscles that allow you to move, the miracle of a brain that has allowed Mankind to think up and create every single thing around us, from our possessions, to our cities, to our cars, to our technology. Life exists in the smallest of organisms, from the tiny ant to the great beasts of the world. Every organ has a function in every body, and without even one, we wouldn't be able to survive in some cases.

Doesn't that make you marvel at the world? I, for one, cannot believe that we simply 'popped into existence'. And while Darwin may put forward his theory of evolution, I then say: Who created the monkeys? Which then begs the question 'Who created and is the master of the Universe?' His explanation is a theory, and nothing more. A way of explaining how we came to be human. But there had to be a grand-designer with limitless amounts of power and imagination.

In many Islamic stories, we see God telling his prophets how He 'knows what [we] do not'. And in time, we come to realise his intentions for everything. Science is simply our way of explaining what has already been thought of and designed by Allah. We are insignificant in his presence; to think about the advances of mankind from 'cavemen' to now, we think is a massive feat. But who was it that gave us the ability to do so in the first place? Who breathed life into us and let us roam the Earth he has created for us?

Think about Earth: we have oil, gas and coal for our own use. These resources were created through the decomposition of the 'dinosaurs' - Where did they come from? How is it possible for them to have survived for millions of years and then died, leaving behind stuff we are able to use to our benefit?

Next, it is the only planet where water is found and is neither too hot, nor too cold for life. We are in the perfect 'Goldilock' Zone, and this cannot be explained as a matter of 'chance'. It can only be that God has created man for a purpose, and that purpose Islam teaches, is to worship Allah alone, and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is his servant and his messenger (1st pillar of Islam).

*Sorry for preaching, but I do think it is beneficial to consider how great and magical this world is by itself. So then imagine the hereafter: Heaven. Imagine being at total blissful peace, for eternity. Pretty great, huh? I think so too.

And so this life being our 'admissions test' into paradise is a pretty sweet deal - sacrifice what, 60 years of following the commandments conveyed to us by Muhammad (pbuh) which is pretty calm and easy to do itself, in order to have a never-ending lifetime of whatever I want? WHERE DO I SIGN?! (right here https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...es/biggrin.png)

It is said that the beauties and pleasures of heaven surpass what we can even imagine. Everything you've ever wanted to do, see and explore, you can do in your own free time - it's not like you've got anywhere else to go! AND IT's FOREVER! And, it's said that even before you think of something you want in paradise, you will see it given to you (I know, mind boggling! http://static.tsrfiles.co.uk/images/smilies/hmmmm.gif)I can't help but crack a smile whenever I think of it!

As I've said before, this life is ultimately a test. To see if we can withhold and control our desires and lusts and follow the commandments of our creator. I myself have had a lot of personal things to go through, but having a regular set time to pray in a day really does help establish remembrance of God and that ultimately, we will all die and have to answer for our deeds.

All good comes from Allah, and we should be thankful: Allah says in the Quran "If you give thanks, I will give you more" [to be thankful for]. He is the 'Most Generous' and after my prayer, I always thank him for his mercy and ask him and him only for whatever I want in life, for without his approval, I am helpless.

It may seem like it is pointless, asking for help if you're not sure if he's there. Of course I don't believe I have manged to do it in such a small space, but hopefully I have strengthened your belief in God's presence. He is there, and is just waiting for us to ask him for his forgiveness and mercy. It is literally a case of 'don't ask, don't get'. A well-known hadith says “Take one step towards me, I will take ten steps towards you. Walk towards me, I will run towards you.” He is happy when he sees that his creation is asking for things from him alone - this is why it is best to ask for help in times of hardship from him first - make prayer and he will help in a way and at a time that may not seem right to us, but correct in his faultless judgement.

Therefore look at any suffering as a blessing - the more struggle you can overcome and still remember Allah, the more reward and satisfaction there is waiting for you in the next life, insha-Allah. It is why the great Sahaabah (followers) of Muhammad (pbuh) will reap such huge rewards in the next life, due to the great struggles they faced.

Of course, we cannot gain rewards in the same way as they did, spreading the word of Islam, starting it up and fighting oppression - or can we? Right now, I am spreading the message, and am not afraid to voice my differences in opinion to people like Trump. But remember - you will benefit from the struggles you are given, as each one you pass, you have earned yourself a greater prize, one that on-one else can take away, rightfully earned.

As to who to talk to, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here every once-in-a-while. But if you'd like some professional advice, an Imaam of your local mosque would be very helpful I think. They will be able to answer any questions you may have, like the ones you mentioned above, and give a genuine, professional answer.

As a result, I feel very grateful for being born a Muslim - it has been very easy for me to get into learning about Islam, being tolerant, the reward of sacrificing this life for the hereafter. I really can't imagine me having to come into Islam from outside, especially with the media (and people like Farage & TRUMP https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/angry.gif) slating Islam (and ISIS and these so called 'extreme Muslims' which they can't be if they're not following the actions of our prophet (SAW) anyway...)

This is why I urge you to re-consider. I know it's a lot to take in, and you must be feeling very torn right now. I'm always be here if you need to PM and discuss things, but otherwise take the time to think over what Islam really stands for (it literally means 'submission'https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...ilies/wink.png. We are but a simple creation of Allah - he deserves to expect us to worship him, and rightly so. Without him, there would be no 'us'. {No TSR even, OMDS imagine that https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...ies/colone.gif}

But seriously, if you wanna talk, I'll try and check my messages every-so often. Hope I've been any help https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/.../smilies/h.gif

Thank YOU for bothering to read all of THIS ^^^ http://static.tsrfiles.co.uk/images/smilies/clap2.gif

(Some stuff to look at to help remind you of the beauty of Islam https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbcD0Vku_I
      http://thebeautyofislam.tumblr.com/
      https://www.islamreligion.com/articl...ties-of-islam/
      http://www.khilafah.com/the-sahaba/
      http://islamicpamphlets.com/why-isla...fits-of-islam/
      It takes a lot of mental gymnastics to undermine common sense. Who are we to question the creator? We are people endowed with reason, and reason tells me this is a very useful tool of controlling populations.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Abdukazam)
      It takes a lot of mental gymnastics to undermine common sense. Who are we to question the creator? We are people endowed with reason, and reason tells me this is a very useful tool of controlling populations.
      I understand where you're coming from. We do have common sense, we do have intelligence, we do have an amazing brain that allows us to think, create and explore - But who was it given to us by?

It wasn't just there for us to take. We were given it. How? By whom?

I greatly doubt that mankind could exist the way we do today without a God creating us in the first place. How do you explain literally everything? The seas to the animals to the plants to the sky to the Sun to our bodies - a miracle like this world is too impossible to have come about on it's own

This is my opinion. I'm just saying what makes sense to me.

ReputationRep:
      I understand where you're coming from. We do have common sense, we do have intelligence, we do have an amazing brain that allows us to think, create and explore - But who was it given to us by?

It wasn't just there for us to take. We were given it. How? By whom?

I greatly doubt that mankind could exist the way we do today without a God creating us in the first place. How do you explain literally everything? The seas to the animals to the plants to the sky to the Sun to our bodies - a miracle like this world is too impossible to have come about on it's own

This is my opinion. I'm just saying what makes sense to me.
      This isn't exactly the place for statistical physics so if you're interested in what we know about how the natural world was created and works, I recommend a Course On Theoretical Physics (it's a Russian book), it's not light reading but it'll deal with those questions of how things work as they do.

Truthfully, I don't know. I don't know how everything works, I know enough to know it is very complex and a simple explanation will likely not suffice. It does not really follow that we were given intelligence by a creator, let me show you why:
      Where does the concept of giving come from? It's practices by quite a few animals, but notice it is an abstraction of behaviour, made by us. To say that God gives us something would be tantamount to idolatry since you are describing Him in terms of anthropomorphic properties

Besides the argument itself is circular. Who created God? If you admit that God is himself self sustaining, then why can't we also be?

Hey im not here to attack or hate on your beliefs. Can i just ask wat made you leave islam .thxx

ReputationRep:
      It is your choice to decide whether Islam is right for you. I personally would advise against making such a huge decision unless you are wholeheartedly sure it isn't for you.

At the end of the day, the decision is up to you. I hope you research and see the importance of the decision you make.

ReputationRep:
      Good luck padwan.
      • Political Ambassador
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      I am not going to give you a lecture or anything. Just know that in Islam, there is no way back once you convert to something else. So bear that in mind while you make this once in a lifetime decision.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Abdukazam)
      This isn't exactly the place for statistical physics so if you're interested in what we know about how the natural world was created and works, I recommend a Course On Theoretical Physics (it's a Russian book), it's not light reading but it'll deal with those questions of how things work as they do.

Truthfully, I don't know. I don't know how everything works, I know enough to know it is very complex and a simple explanation will likely not suffice. It does not really follow that we were given intelligence by a creator, let me show you why:
      Where does the concept of giving come from? It's practices by quite a few animals, but notice it is an abstraction of behaviour, made by us. To say that God gives us something would be tantamount to idolatry since you are describing Him in terms of anthropomorphic properties

Besides the argument itself is circular. Who created God? If you admit that God is himself self sustaining, then why can't we also be?
      You have said it yourself and it applies to all of mankind - We do not know. Simple.

God knows better than us. I do believe in him, and that he created us for a purpose. Science is a way of explaining what God has already thought about - of course, since he was the one that made everything in the first place!

As humans, we are constantly finding new ways and new things on our planet that were previously undiscovered - how is it that we haven't found out about everything yet? Why is it that there are still some things that remain unanswered?

It is because God is All-knowing. We simply try to understand his miraculous power and creations but we are always 100 steps behind. It is therefore futile to always try and understand and question 'why?' to everything that he does.

We are simply here to worship him - I intend to follow his commandments since this world is too phenomenal to have been made without any creator.

(Original post by Metalfros)
        Just know that in Islam, there is no way back once you convert to something else. So bear that in mind while you make this once in a lifetime decision.
        This isn't true, as far as I know. It's perfectly possible to 'repent' and return to Islam...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Hydeman)
        This isn't true, as far as I know. It's perfectly possible to 'repent' and return to Islam...
        Depends on the laws on Apostasy.Can't repent if you're dead.
        • Political Ambassador
        • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Hydeman)
        No. In the Islam you would have no chances of entering Djannah (heaven) if you left the Islam.

(Original post by Metalfros)
          No. In the Islam you would have no chances of entering Djannah (heaven) if you left the Islam.
          You obviously would have a chance if you then returned to Islam.

Besides, strictly speaking it's incorrect to say that someone would have no chance of entering heaven, as that decision would lie with God. It might be said that they are lowering their chances by a given deed, but not that it is completely impossible.

ReputationRep:
          Doesn't that make you marvel at the world? I, for one, cannot believe that we simply 'popped into existence'.
          But you can believe a god popped into existence?

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.