Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The final date to apply for the Headstart summer courses is the 31st of this months and everything is ready, except my personal statement.

The online application form states that you should write a 200 words max. personal statement about youself. Obviously 200 words isn't a lot, so after making a several drafts I thought I had nailed it. When I was ready to uplode it I came across an instruction that made me think twice.

In the text box where I had to copy and paste my personal statement it read: " Include any Clubs, Groups or Awards".

The only club I belong to is my rugby club and the only awards I have recieved are for rugby. Should I include this in my personal statement?

Thanks
    Isaac
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't mean that that's all they're looking for. Do you know what they're looking for? Tailor what you've written including about rugby to that and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    That doesn't mean that that's all they're looking for. Do you know what they're looking for? Tailor what you've written including about rugby to that and you'll be fine.
    Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

They just ask to "tell us about yourself and why you are interested in taking part". What do you mean by "tailoring what I've written about rugby?"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    How does playing rugby and winning whatever awards you have from rugby help with your application. Are there specific skills they're looking for or does it make you a better candidate in any way?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I talked about hockey and DofE for mine and said like they make me a more versatile student and show I commit to things and enjoy working/ playing sport with other people in a team...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    How does playing rugby and winning whatever awards you have from rugby help with your application. Are there specific skills they're looking for or does it make you a better candidate in any way?
    Ok, got it, thanks a lot for your help.

(Original post by Xpeplinski)
    Yeah, I talked about hockey and DofE for mine and said like they make me a more versatile student and show I commit to things and enjoy working/ playing sport with other people in a team...
    Great, thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaac Caletrio)
    Hi,

The final date to apply for the Headstart summer courses is the 31st of this months and everything is ready, except my personal statement.

The online application form states that you should write a 200 words max. personal statement about youself. Obviously 200 words isn't a lot, so after making a several drafts I thought I had nailed it. When I was ready to uplode it I came across an instruction that made me think twice.

In the text box where I had to copy and paste my personal statement it read: " Include any Clubs, Groups or Awards".

The only club I belong to is my rugby club and the only awards I have recieved are for rugby. Should I include this in my personal statement?

Thanks
    Isaac
    If the word limit is 200, I definitely would not talk at length about your participation in the Rugby Club (and really, I probably wouldn't even mention it at all). It has nothing to do with Engineering so I really doubt that they'd be particularly interested. If you want to include it then just mention it, please do not waste words trying to come up with obscure connections between Rugby and Headstart.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.