Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jan 11th: Why don’t we talk about mental health? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because some things cant be discussed on tsr as theyre taboo and will get you banned.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    Because some things cant be discussed on tsr as theyre taboo and will get you banned.
    If you're referring to what I think, it's probably more for legal reasons than it being taboo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    If you're referring to what I think, it's probably more for legal reasons than it being taboo.
    What legal reasons? Enlighten me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    What legal reasons? Enlighten me.
    I would have thought it would be obvious. However, I really recommend creating a thread in Ask the Community Team subforum if you want this clarified.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the people in my school/college/around me dont really view MH as a taboo issue or call those with MH names such as psychos etc. But they do tend to brush it off and think/say "oh I'm sure you haven't, you're probably overthinking it"

One thing I do have to complain about is the lack of knowledge and awareness of it. I mean everyone has heard of the phrase mental health, but not many people are being told/taught about what it actually is. I feel like this is because they are too focused on grades and careers but not what happens if they end up causing you emotional/mental issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I would have thought it would be obvious. However, I really recommend creating a thread in Ask the Community Team subforum if you want this clarified.
    I dont think I'm referring to what you think I'm referring...

ReputationRep:
    the stigma is literally horrific.
    i've seen people immediately not want to be associated with me because of it...

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I think that, because they're to do with my feelings, my mental health issues are irrelevant and irrational. Somehow if I had a physical disability I would feel as though I had more credibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I never said don't seek help. I said there seems to be altogether too much of this talking about problems and less getting the **** over them. Yes, talk is cathartic. But do we need to broadcast everything? So yes, I have depression, and I've been treated for it in the past. Five years free of drugs, paid attention in my CBT and force myself to review it mentally every day. I get through life by main force. Yes, it's nice to sit and kill a bottle of whiskey with my dad and talk things through Derek and Clive -style, but that's not the same as talking to some ****ing radio programme's representatives on the Internet.

The attitude I try to take isn't just get on with it. It's to be positive when everything is negative. To be positive out of pure bloody-minded spite to the disease we have in common. Myself, I've been through an awful life, especially in my early childhood. I've fought suicidal tendencies since I was nine years old, and have self-harmed as well. Every day I drag myself out of a pit just to get up and walk around. I try not to wear it on my sleeve, instead making sure I achieve something every day. Yes, I have down days still, but now I'm making sure I suck the marrow out of life. I find it much easier to get on with life. Maybe I seem like a douche for thinking that. Maybe I'm not as bad as my doctors think I am, I don't know. Or maybe what I'm doing is working.

I don't like all this talk, though. Mostly because I notice a lot of people who talk so much about it aren't all that bad. All my friends who have depression are very similar to me. They know it's a desease to live with, not a feeling to get over, and they do very much the same as I do to keep on top of it. They don't spend their lives moping and complaining about how life is so bad. They look at the positives, and when all else fais, buy a kitten.
    I'm glad someone said this. I'm sure there are some people for whom talking and sensitivity is helpful, but this is a classic case of assuming we all have to be soft and sensitive and endlessly talk about issues in this insufferable feelgood way and that anyone who finds that does not help them is a spoilsport who lacks empathy. This isn't just about specific mental illnesses either, but the wider ideal of emotional well-being, I've never in my life found discussing my problems, makes me feel good, it's wasted time which could be better spent fixing them. In fact I probably come across as a complete barbarian with regard to the things I do and say, but in the same way I find there is no value in intellectualising concepts which are not intellectual.

There are some people for whom action is the best medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    Why don’t we talk about mental health?

This week’s Surgery is all about your mind and you. Olly Alexander from Years & Years joins Gemma and Dr Radha to help break the silence around mental health issues, from anxiety to bipolar and everything in between.

Are you struggling with your mental health? How do you know if you’re depressed or just sad? Do you find it hard to open up?

Share your experience of mental health issues and tune in on Wednesday 11th January at 9pm on BBC Radio 1 for advice and support.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.
    Mental health is a huge issue in school, but disscusing it seems to be taboo. I know a lot of people who don't have the best mental health but can't talk about it because they feel that it is like admitting a defeat of some sorts. It's not a defeat, and shoukd not be treated as one. Having been in and out of depression for a few years now, I feel I have become a stronger person because of it, and I feel I can take my experiences and help others in my school community, and even in my own friendship group.

Treating mental health issues as a sign of weakness needs to stop, because it is NOT a sign of weakness. It's an issue that needs to be discussed more in schools and show that there is help out there if you need or want it. And most importantly, showing people that they are not alone in this battle, and that they can be victorious in it

I avoided talking about my mental health for a long time. I started struggling with what, looking back now, I assume was depression and possibly anxiety, which lead to more issues like self-harm and being suicidal. I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid. Afraid of how other people would react, afraid that it was something I had brought upon myself, afraid that no one would care. I was eleven when this started. I got worse, and with that I became more scared to tell people. I started to hate myself more than I ever thought possible, but I didn't want to let anyone down by telling them about it. There are some times now where I wonder how I ever survived, how I ever got myself out of that place, and without talking about God and the church, I could never explain it at all. I'm seventeen now, and sometimes I still have rough patches and I feel myself falling back into the mentality that I was in when I was twelve, but I know what to do now, and that makes all the difference. I'm starting to seek help now, because mental health issues like this aren't something you can ever recover from completely and I'll admit now that I do need the assistance of other people, because I'm not afraid anymore.
    So fear. I would say fear is why we don't talk about mental health.

I don't think I have a mental illness but I do feel sad quite a lot. I feel like that is to do with school though, I don't enjoy it at all. I'm also just worried that I won't pass my GCSE's, they've been made more difficult this year. I revise a lot and still fail all of my mocks.

ReputationRep:
    I myself been struggling on sleeping. This semester I've been lacking sleep because of requirements and papers. This starts last year and semestral break, I was hoping I would get a good night sleep but still lacking of sleep. What would be the problem here? Is it because of my body clock has been adjusted?

(Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    Why don’t we talk about mental health?

This week’s Surgery is all about your mind and you. Olly Alexander from Years & Years joins Gemma and Dr Radha to help break the silence around mental health issues, from anxiety to bipolar and everything in between.

Are you struggling with your mental health? How do you know if you’re depressed or just sad? Do you find it hard to open up?

Share your experience of mental health issues and tune in on Wednesday 11th January at 9pm on BBC Radio 1 for advice and support.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.
    I feel like coming to university has made my life so much worse. I transferred my retail job to another branch and moved into halls in a different city. I feel completely lost here, and I've bitten off way more than I can chew with my university course. I did pretty poorly through my A-Levels, and when it came to UCAS, I tried my luck through clearance. My naivety lead me to pick the best sounding course, I could barely keep up with A-Level work, but I got offered a place on a "Law with Criminology" course, and I couldn't have been happier to accept. Now, I'm in a city far from home, working with people I hate, studying topics I can barely understand with a bunch of strangers I can't relate to. I'm failing in every aspect of my course, and I'm just waiting for the moment they kick me out. My parents struggled with so much worse growing up and going to university, and they have given me everything, and they have shown me nothing but love through everything, but I keep letting them down and f**king up, every chance I get. They don't deserve me and if I had the courage to end this all, I would. But instead, I sit in my room, trying to catch up on work that's already passed its deadline hoping everything will sort itself out. University has shown me how useless I really am, and I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do in the future, at this point, dying is a pretty cushy way out.

ReputationRep:
    I suffered from anorexia and depression, particularly when I started uni.
    In all honesty I had no idea there was anything wrong- I just thought this was what being a student felt like.
    When I did finally catch on to the fact I wasn't healthy, I felt so bad. But I didn't want to talk to anyone.
    I was afraid of being judged. Afraid of being told I was "inadequate" or "weak"
    Even when I went to counselling sessions, I never really opened up, I just couldn't!
    Eventually I found my own ways of coping, making a daily journal entry, exercise (I had my weight back in check by this point!!), and just doing things I loved!
    I started making silly YouTube videos- and that helped, just being able to express myself and make other people smile!! ((ChloeM86 if you want to have a look))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel like coming to university has made my life so much worse. I transferred my retail job to another branch and moved into halls in a different city. I feel completely lost here, and I've bitten off way more than I can chew with my university course. I did pretty poorly through my A-Levels, and when it came to UCAS, I tried my luck through clearance. My naivety lead me to pick the best sounding course, I could barely keep up with A-Level work, but I got offered a place on a "Law with Criminology" course, and I couldn't have been happier to accept. Now, I'm in a city far from home, working with people I hate, studying topics I can barely understand with a bunch of strangers I can't relate to. I'm failing in every aspect of my course, and I'm just waiting for the moment they kick me out. My parents struggled with so much worse growing up and going to university, and they have given me everything, and they have shown me nothing but love through everything, but I keep letting them down and f**king up, every chance I get. They don't deserve me and if I had the courage to end this all, I would. But instead, I sit in my room, trying to catch up on work that's already passed its deadline hoping everything will sort itself out. University has shown me how useless I really am, and I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do in the future, at this point, dying is a pretty cushy way out.

Hey!
    I felt like that when I started uni, it's just such a shock to the system!!
    There's loads of people who can help you- online and in person. There should be counsellors and stuff about to help you if you're struggling in your course, they'll even help you change course!
    I never really fitted in at uni- I did a 3 year geography degree, and had 2 "friends" (more like acquaintances though!
    Find a way to deal with stuff in your own way, music, walking, whatever

Don't be afraid of messing up. That's how we learn in life. Your parents will be proud of you no matter what- they might not show it but they do. Everyone messes up and feels lost at some point in their life. But there's help- if anything, the braver choice is to ask for help! ❤

I actually think stuff like anxiety and depression is very commonly talked about nowadays. The stigma has definitely seen a really quite remarkable reduction in the last couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal for us to not grieve?

My best friend's mother passed away in 2014 and after that my life had completely changed. She was very close to us. I feel strangle responsible for everyone around, like I have to protect everyone from all the bad things in life.

I feel like I'm not special enough? Everyone around me is always having something or someone to live for and I feel like I have none. Agreed, said people have also had their share of sadness.

Life is dull. While I am happy that my parents aren't evil or that I don't have any drama in my life, I wish I had someone who believed in all my visions.

Don't get me wrong, I love my best friends to bits and I will always take care of her and always look after her, but sometimes I feel that looking after someone and always being the side character of the show doesn't help your self esteem. She's lost her mother and I don't wish something like that happening to anyone, its a very difficult thing. Losing a parent.

But sometimes I want to feel special. I am tired of treating people like they are the king of the world in the hope that they treat me the same way. I don't want to be the sweet girl who helped everyone but never had a story to tell of her own.

Most of the people think I'm lame, I admit , I am a little. In this generation, people have learned to accept the flaws and that thing is screwing me up. Because I don't have a sob story and I haven't faced any real challenges in my life, EVERYONE thinks I got it easy.

I mean, look at my life, perfect grades, cool cell phone, parents are okay, have a brother and sister. Sister is amazing, brother is only a year or two older and that'd why I don't get bullied. I have an awesome best friend. I'm going to school, having an education. I'm okay looking, at least not ugly. Never went through a heart break, never been deceived by anyone, never been betrayed. Never self harmed. I'm not that dark in colour, hair is long and straight.

That's all they see. They ask me why I whine about my life when I have no "tragedies"? This is why

The only reason I have perfect grades is because if I don't then my parents remove me from school. (No kidding) I got my cell after two years of begging. Parents are OKAY. They have never heard of the term parental love. My sister is married, her life ALSO has tragedies (no surprise there) and I've been exposed to parts of her life that I shouldn't have seen. Brother hates me because he thinks I got it easy while the rest of them had to suffer. Best friend thinks I have a perfect life, that being smart is everything. Being good is everything. Honey, no one really gets interested in you unless you are a little tainted or have an amazing face. Being fat shamed is something I wouldn't wish on anyone, especially since the biggest criticizer is your mother. She's not that bad, but from what I've learned fat people are never the centre of the attention.

I went into a dark corner of my mind a few months back, I don't think I've still gone out of it. Sometimes I'm on the edge. I feel like there's something dark in me that threatens to ruin everything. Sounds cliché. So let's move on.

All the people in my life have went through great tragedies and all my problems seems really tiny compared to theirs, I know. I'm just a whiny little brat.

A brat, who suffers from a hormonal imbalance, a brat who has a secret she never told anyone. A brat who had no shoulder to lean on when she needed someone badly. A brat who cried all alone when she lost someone close to her. A brat who cannot share her deepest and darkest secrets to the person she trusts the most because that person is too fragile already. A brat who is UNDERESTIMATED by every single person she has ever known. A brat who can't say this to someone real and has to come online for getting some hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My mom suffers from mental health issues and do I
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm so sorry to read that you're feeling like this. University can be a really difficult time as you're adjusting to a lot of change. I'm sure you're not messing up but if you're struggling with the course, have you considered talking to your tutor about it? If it's not a good fit, you could see if you could change course. You're not useless, I can assure you that. Have you looked at the mental health forum? It's a great and supportive community who will be able to give you some advise. If you're need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.