Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jan 11th: Why don’t we talk about mental health? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Agree 100%
    i thought i was totally alone in everything but it wasnt until i have talked to other people (mainly on here as still too tentative to open up to more than a handful of ppl inrl) that i realised a lot more people have these issues than i realised.
    yes we are not alone, and although it is very difficult to understand what people are going through I truly think that if we were even a little more open about mental health that it would go a long way, and this is a reminder to me before anyone else! also it should really be a fundamental part of what schools teach in like PSHE and stuff imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Let's. The taboo and stigma from it has got to stop and we must start realising how important that it is that good care/help is there for people's mental health.

I was struggling with my mental health. Things started to crumble at the start of A2. It worsened as family issues arose and my grades plummeted. Xmas was a great break, a cleansing if you like, now I feel much better and am much more motivated and hope that others are too :grouphugs:

Great question. Personally, I do not know. This is because I have not been diagnosed with anything and have no real idea of how you tell without it. Sometimes due to a family history of MH issues, I wonder if I have something like this. Other times I brush it off, oh its just stress and sad stuff and sad stuff stress or that ruddy time of the month etc. Etc.

Nope, a lesson of psychology really opened me up go the fact that hormonally, women are actually more likely to feel better about their issues after having a natter about then to another. Some hormone or something, I apologise for the lack of memory I have. This and the fact that in general idc too much means that if someone is willing to listen and I trust them, I will talk to them and nearly always they make me feel just that bit better which means I can do my hw without crying etc. Many of these people are on here and I am extremely grateful to them.
    I like to reciprocate these trust/listening things also because I have similar experiences and believe that I can at least give someone a laugh in the hopes to cheer them up/motivate them and maybe even make them smile .

Definitely tuning in :yy:
    <3

ReputationRep:
    I think in Indian culture, it's to do with reputation. I remember when my aunt was diagnosed with psychosis, all my grandparents (who live with her and my uncle) were talking about what the "community" would say if they found out. I find disgusting that my grandparents would prioritise their reputation over the mental health of one of their family members.Even my dad, whose been in this country for over 40 years is iffy when talking about mental health purely because in his day it wasn't talked about much. My mum is an absolute hypocrite when it comes to mental health even though she's worked in the MH sector. She told my grandparents to take care of my aunt and then when I was diagnosed with depression she called me attention seeking and that mental health problems was something I had got off my "white trash" friends lmao.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I think in Indian culture, it's to do with reputation. I remember when my aunt was diagnosed with psychosis, all my grandparents (who live with her and my uncle) were talking about what the "community" would say if they found out. I find disgusting that my grandparents would prioritise their reputation over the mental health of one of their family members.Even my dad, whose been in this country for over 40 years is iffy when talking about mental health purely because in his day it wasn't talked about much. My mum is an absolute hypocrite when it comes to mental health even though she's worked in the MH sector. She told my grandparents to take care of my aunt and then when I was diagnosed with depression she called me attention seeking and that mental health problems was something I had got off my "white trash" friends lmao.
    Sri Lankan culture is exactly the same. Quite alarming, isn't it?

Whilst my dad has made some progress with acknowledging my mental health, I think at least part of him still thinks I'm ill because someone's "charmed" him (put a curse on him) :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.