Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm aware that this is way past the 1st of January but I found this late and really need some motivation so I hope this gets accepted!

I did terribly bad in my AS Levels last year because I thought I was incredibly smart and that I could get away with little to no revision because of my GCSEs. Turns out GCSEs are easy and I'm actually not that smart. I kind of disappointed my family and myself and now I feel like I'm really stupid most of the time which has been putting me off of studying because I've been doubting myself. But recently I read a quote that kind of resonated with me. "Doubt has killed more dreams than failure ever will." The quote kind of gave me this spark of motivation and I realise that I can't just sit here wishing my life away and I need to actually do something about my grades because now I know that we are all capable of good grades, we just need to work hard.

And all those people at school who I think are naturally gifted are really just incredibly hard working.

I take French, Maths and Economics (I dropped Chemistry - got a D in it :/) In French, I got a D as well (which was incredibly disappointing because I loved French but it's really all my fault.) In Economics, I got a B and in Maths I got a C. This year, I'll be retaking French as well as C1 in Maths.

What I'm finding difficult:
    French: SPEAKING! I find the fact that you have to argue with the examiner quite daunting because I can't even argue with people I know - I'm quite shy so this is quite a challenge for me. I'm also a bit worried about the book and movie essays because we haven't looked at any yet but I've received my first one for homework and I'm not sure how to go about starting it.
    Maths: M1 is the worst thing I've ever hard to do because I find that I really have to concentrate in order to wrap the concepts around my head. I got a B in my C3 mock though (1 mark off an A!) it's not amazing but I'm hoping I'll improve. For maths, I find examsolutions and hegartymaths to be extremely helpful.
    Economics: I seem to not be able to do well in 25 mark essays or my marks tend to fluctuate a lot so I don't really know how to consistently get a good mark. To combat this, I think I'm going to look at mark schemes and create detailed essay plans for similar questions and write extra essays for my teacher to mark.

ReputationRep:
    20/1/17

It's been a while since my last post because I tend to procrastinate a lot and for that reason, I haven't gotten much work done between this post and my last. From now on, I've decided that I will religiously update this blog twice a day, once in the morning/after school and once before I go to bed. This is just so I can keep track of what I intend to do everyday and what I actually accomplish so that I can adjust my plans accordingly. I remember that I did grow your grades last year as well but it didn't help me much because I rarely updated it. I think I might also include a daily revision tip that's been helping me just to help anyone who might be reading this at the end of the day and I'll include a motivational quote in my morning post just for a bit of early morning motivation!

ReputationRep:
    20/1/17

I'm at school right now but when I get home this will be what I plan to do:

- reading a French article and answering questions on it
    - answering some le petit prince questions
    - forming answers for some la haine speaking questions
    - economics essay on international competitiveness
    - C4 Vectors questions
    - M1 questions
    - Flashcards for French tenses

I have a lot of things that I plan to do and I don't think I'll be able to do all of them today but I'll update later tonight to see what I did and didn't do and add a revision tip that helped me today!

Daily quote:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret."

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck!
    Just out of curiosity, how enjoyable is A-level French? I really wanted to take it but my sixth form didn't offer it when I started .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    Best of luck!
    Just out of curiosity, how enjoyable is A-level French? I really wanted to take it but my sixth form didn't offer it when I started .
    Thank you! It's my favourite subject and I absolutely love it! Definitely a lot of hard work and makes things a bit more stressful but it makes sixth form a lot more enjoyable for me. Aww, it's unfortunate that your sixth form didn't offer it!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to post an update on how much I got done today! The answer is, unfortunately, not much. When I got home I spent an hour or two on the C4 vectors questions so have almost finished those but that's basically all I got done. I was extremely tired today for some reason (probably because it's Friday) and my mouth was hurting really badly because my braces kept catching onto the inside of my cheeks so I didn't really have the energy to do anything :/

I don't really have any plans for the weekend so I'm hoping to get as much of this stuff done tomorrow so that I can move on to something else on Sunday!

Revision tip:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This isn't a tip related completely to revision and I'm sure that everyone already knows this but I would really recommend eating healthy during exam season. I find that cutting out sugar gives me more energy and improves my concentration levels. Snacking on fruits, vegetables and nuts is a good way to avoid things like chocolate and crisps. It's not easy because I have a massive sweet tooth but I find it really helps in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    21/1/17

I woke up relatively late today (at 10am) so I haven't gotten as much done as I had hoped but I managed to finish the C4 questions on vectors this morning which leaves the rest of my list to do today:

- M1 questions
    - economics essay
    - le petit prince questions
    - la haine speaking questions
    - tenses flashcards
    - French article
    - also thought I'd add in some flashcards for 20 words of vocab

I'll update later tonight to see how much I've gotten done and hopefully I can do all of it so that I can move on tomorrow! Just wanted to add that I watched this really interesting documentary on South Korean students yesterday which I found to be a great source of motivation because they basically study all day and stay at school/the library until about 11pm.

Motivational quote:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You don't get what you want, you get what you work for."

ReputationRep:
    Once again, I'm extremely disappointed with myself because I managed to get nothing else done for the day We ended up going out for the whole day so I wasn't able to do anything. I'm going to have to wake up earlier tomorrow and get everything on my list done then. I will update tomorrow morning to see how much I've done and how much I have left to do. I have to go out tomorrow as well but that will be later on in the evening so I'm going to try and get everything done before then.

Revision tip:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Plan out your revision based on what you're going to be doing that day/how busy you are. Try to get any work done before going out so that you can spend the night without feeling guilty about not having done anything. (This is definitely something I'm going to have to implement more)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    How do you revise for Econ ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hey,
    How do you revise for Econ ?
    Hey, the only revision I do for economics is going over and condensing my class notes. My teachers are both really good so we go through everything in detail and do lots of example essays. Let me know if you have any other questions

ReputationRep:
    22/1/17

Only one update today as I just needed to complete the list that I had made earlier. I didn't get everything done today as I had to go out but I managed to finish all of the M1 questions I had planned to do as well as half of the economics essay. I'm going to finish the rest of the essay in my free tomorrow so I can get my teacher to mark it and I think I'll go over tenses in my free as well if I get the time. I'm quite pleased with what I got done today because although it may not seem like much, last year I never did anything on Sunday (or even Saturday tbh :/) I think keeping this blog is definitely motivating me so I'm going to continue to update it.

Motivational quote:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Be the best version of you."

ReputationRep:
    23/1/17

Just wanted to update with my plan for today. I managed to finish the essay in my free this morning and I looked over tenses as well. I had a small test on tenses in French today and got 11/15, not amazing but I made some stupid mistakes so I'm not too worried. I'll have to make flashcards for the tenses though so I might do that today if I get the time.

What to do today:
    -La haine questions
    -Le petit prince questions
    -French article
    -Going over the next exercise in M1 ready for tomorrow's lesson
    -Going over Balance of Payments for Economics
    -Tenses flashcards
    -20 vocab words

Don't think I'll get it all done today but I'll do what I can!

Motivational quote:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Work hard in silence. Let success be your noise."

ReputationRep:
    Passion is volume.

ReputationRep:
    So I definitely didn't finish everything that I had planned to do but I finished reading the French article, did some comprehension questions on it and learnt some new vocabulary from it. I also wrote a paragraph on the disadvantages of techology and how it can cause laziness in French. I didn't get anything else done from my list but I spent a good bit of time gathering resources online for the oral exam so I think it was time well spent.
    I plan on looking over Balance of Payments in my free tomorrow morning as well as doing a quick M1 exercise before my lesson which I have at the end of the day.

Revision tip:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Do any homework in your frees so that you have time to do extra revision at home (and to relax!) This is definitely something I'm working on because it's tempting to just sit around in frees and do nothing but I've noticed that everyone in my year who happens to be doing well/are at the top of the class, do their homework as soon as they get it so that they have time for other things.

ReputationRep:
    24/1/17

I'm currently in a free because my French lesson got cancelled so I'm just finishing up some cover work. My Maths lesson also got cancelled so I'll just spend that time doing some M1 revision for mocks which are in March (a bit late, I know.) I also looked at Balance of Payments in my free this morning.

Other plans for today:
    - le petit prince questions (definitely need to do those today)
    - more questions on C4 Vectors
    - la haine speaking questions
    - 20 vocab words
    - tenses flashcards

I'm going to keep the list relatively small today as I want to try and complete everything. I'll update tonight to see how it goes!

Motivational quote:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "You did not wake up today to be mediocre."

ReputationRep:
    7/2/17

So, I haven't updated in ages but that's because I had a pretty rough week last week and came very close to dropping out of school due to anxiety and depression. My school, however, has actually been quite supportive so I think I'm going to just stick with for these last few months and work as hard as I can! I'll be updating again starting from tomorrow, ready to have a fresh start and being more realistic about my aims for each day!

ReputationRep:
    9/2/17

So I just thought I would write my plan/aims for the day for each subject:

French:
    - I have an essay due for le petit prince due tomorrow which I have started writing so I'll be finishing that off
    - I have an essay on la haine due for my tutor which I haven't started but have planned out so I'll be trying to finish that
    - I think I will try to get some vocab flashcards sorted out and go over my existing ones as well (I think I'm going to try and do this everyday)

Maths
    - I'm going to due a core 1 topic overview and do some questions on it in preparation for my retake
    - I went over some core 3 topics with my tutor the other day so I'm going to look over those, do some questions and write down the general methods of how to do certain styles of question

Economics
    - I have a 12 mark question due for homework about exchange rate regimes which I want to finish
    - I also want to start writing notes (I've written some but I'm quite far behind) so I'm hoping to start again and I'm going to be using the specification, my class notes and the CGP revision guide

That will probably be it for today as it's quite a lot but I also aim to organise my folders as I've got lots of sheets lying around and folded in my books so I'm hoping to get that sorted as well.

Motivational quote:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Dreams don't work unless you do."

ReputationRep:
    Hey you haven't posted in a while, hope you're doing okay.
    What are you doing for French revisiom during the Easter hols- especially le petit prince? ( it's quite exciting finding someone else who studies the book)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.