Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What sorts of things are key to observe when getting classroom experience? I know it will all be useful but I want to try and categorise it so that I can refer to it while I'm doing my primary teaching degree. So which types of categories do you think are important? I'm thinking: behavioural, rewards, communication, small group working, whole class teaching, the role of a TA, planning, marking...

ReputationRep:
    I always used this or a similar document
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/public/file...indicators.pdf

Just remember, you are not there to judge that particular teacher, so the the "ratings" should really be ignored. Just use the left side as prompts to start thinking about different areas.

ReputationRep:
    I would say try to answer the following three questions:
    1. How do the kids know what they are going to learn?
    2. How do they learn?
    3. How does the teacher know what they have learned?

That said it can be tough. So much of what goes on in a classroom is really subtle and if you don't know what you are looking for you will miss it.

That said, enjoy and get involved if the teacher is happy with that.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would also consider what kinds of questions they ask the kids, how much time they spend talking, and what types of tasks they give the kids/how they differentiate. Plus very basic classroom management things: how do they get kids to be quiet? Are kids and teachers on time? Are seating plans in place? How do they ensure kids leave classroom neat and tidy? etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.