Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am graduating this summer and so will be moving out of my current student accommodation, however my long-term partner is continuing for one more year to do a Masters at the same university. We have both decided to move into our own place in the local area together (we already live together but with others too, so it seems like the natural step).
    I understand the council tax situation, which is no bother, however my main worry is that letting agencies will not look kindly on our situation, in that neither of our incomes will be the "standard" agencies look for i.e. his income is student loan (max amount) with a part-time job, and mine will be (hopefully) a full-time job.

I am worried that we will be stuck with normal agencies not wanting us as tenants due to my partner being a student, but student landlords turning us down due to me no longer being a student!

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Disucss it with landlords. You're worried about being turned down one way or another but have you actually discussed it with landlords and found out what they would prefer? It's a perfectly legitimate situation and neither one of you is in a position where you can't pay rent. Disucss it with student and non-student aimed accommodation and see what they say. Each one will handle it differently.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HGP)
    I am graduating this summer and so will be moving out of my current student accommodation, however my long-term partner is continuing for one more year to do a Masters at the same university. We have both decided to move into our own place in the local area together (we already live together but with others too, so it seems like the natural step).
    I understand the council tax situation, which is no bother, however my main worry is that letting agencies will not look kindly on our situation, in that neither of our incomes will be the "standard" agencies look for i.e. his income is student loan (max amount) with a part-time job, and mine will be (hopefully) a full-time job.

I am worried that we will be stuck with normal agencies not wanting us as tenants due to my partner being a student, but student landlords turning us down due to me no longer being a student!

Any advice?
    Like Ascel says email some agencies, tell them your situation and household income, that way you know if they'll accept you or not before getting disappointed once you've looked at houses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.