Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sooo....

I want to take my hijab off, my parents already understand.
    It's just a really hard process, I feel like everyone will judge me @ school and think I'm trying to become a different person (when I'm really not, I know I will stay the same).
    And at uni etc.. I feel people will not understand + judge me more.

I've been wearing my hijab for a very long time, it's a big part of my life.
    How am I supposed to be real when I talk to people at freshers, for e.g. if I don't tell them about this part of my life? And then when I do, they'll just judge me??

Ugh, I don't know, I think I just overthink???????

ReputationRep:
    Some people may always judge :dontknow:
    If you aren't comfortable taking it off, then don't? Noone can force you to remove it nor can they force you to wear it. Sure, they can advice you on either if these, but it's ultimately your choice at the end of the day.

if people are your true friends then it doesn't matter to them if you take it off or not. I know someone who's been in your situation.
    If it is what you really want to do, you shouldn't care if people judge you or not. if they're your real friends they won't care & don't pay attention to anyone who judges you bc its not their business really.
    as for uni, people are generally more open minded and grown up. they should be mature enough to understand and respect your choice, and by then it will be a past thing in your life & people aren't gonna care if you took it off or not - they will care about the kind of person you are, if youre nice etc. not if you took off your hijab. at freshers if the subject comes up you can just say you wanted to do it and it isnt anyones business. good people wouldnt judge others for their mistakes.
    also, if you wanna take off your hijab and youre more worried of what people think rather than like what god or your religion says etc... then just take it off. if you are confident enough to remove it despite religious teachings then u should be confident enough to not care what others say.
    do what you want to do. if people judge you then they aren't the right people to be hanging out with. this is between u n god, not u n them.

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you feel is right for you.

People are going to talk regardless, they always do but it's not for them to judge, so ignore them and don't feel like you need to explain yourself to anyone. What you wear is none of their business.

If you're moving away to uni then you don't need to tell new people about it if you don't want to.

A girl I was friends with when we were young wore a hijab throughout school and when she started uni she stopped wearing it. It did make me wonder when I saw her, but it's none of my business as we aren't in each others lives anymore. People may wonder at first but they'll get over it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sooo....

It's just a really hard process, I feel like everyone will judge me @ school and think I'm trying to become a different person (when I'm really not, I know I will stay the same).

How am I supposed to be real when I talk to people at freshers, for e.g. if I don't tell them about this part of my life? And then when I do, they'll just judge me??

Hey OP

I won't pretend to completely understand this part of your life, but I do understand this must be a big part of your identity and you must hold it close to you. That's definitely something I can identify with. The most important thing to remember is that when you do things, you do them for you, your happiness and your well-being. If you want to go through with this change, go for it!

There may be some people in your school that will question why you're no longer wearing it (whether that's down to mere curiosity (which will be most likely) or other motives), but all you have to tell them is you no longer wanted to wear it. You'll still be the same person, hijab or not! People that know you and are friends with you will quickly see that and accept you for who you want to be. As for uni, we're lucky enough that when we go to uni, everyone around us is new. They won't judge you for not wearing a hijab, they probably wouldn't even know you ever wore one.

Nobody will judge you if you were to tell them you once wore a hijab, it's something that was a part of you for a long time, but you've used your individuality to make the choice to take it off -- that choice is yours and yours alone. Own your choice and be yourself. That's all you need to do.

TL;DR: It's your choice, do it for you.

Take care!

ReputationRep:
    Sooo....

Someone will always judge you. It's people's job to judge you. This is YOUR life and you are supposed to live it the way you want it and not the way others want to dictate it to you. Who cares what others think? You will never be truly happy unless and until you stop thinking and caring about what others think of you. At uni it might actually be more easier as people over there are a lot more mature.

As far as religion is concerned, if you don't accept it entirely or any part it by your own will then there's no point, A lot of Muslims don't do a lot of things that Islam asks for and that is okay honestly. Just follow what seems right to you because hijab isn't the most important part of Islam..think of it this way: Would you rather be a Muslim who wears hijab and covers herself fully but never prays or would you rather be a Muslim who prays but doesn't necessarily covers? The choice is yours to make and not other random strangers'.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo....

Do you have nice hair?

ReputationRep:
    People who judge others are usually jealous because they lack something that others have. With hijab or without, you are the same person and your real friends will accept and support you no matter what decisions you'll make, that's why they are called true friends. You should never ever let anyone decide what is good and what's not for you, only you should be doing that. If I had a friend who would also decide to make same move, I'd be there and be proud of her for doing something that makes her happy

ReputationRep:
    Sooo....

I'd take it off if i were you. This is 2017, why are you still going by a ritual which is more appropriate for the last millenium?

ReputationRep:
    Do you boo. Its your choice. If its what you want. People are always chatting ****. Pk😘xxx

ReputationRep:
    Sooo....

Honestly just take it off.

I took it off during the years I was "unreligious"...
    People never said **** to my face. They accepted it. They spoke **** behind my back. I got asked my teachers if in still a Muslim. I then began wearing it after a few weeks ... its a process.. I honestly love it now. I'm so glad I took it off for a bit as I'm keeping it on now♥

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take it off now that you're ready. There'll never be a time where taking it off won't lead to some people judging you, but with time the judgements should fade.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.