Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Whats AIM?

AOL Instant Messenger. It's a bit more popular than MSN in the States.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
sarbruis
AOL Instant Messenger. It's a bit more popular than MSN in the States.

Does it work with MSN, or is that Yahoo?
Reply 22
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Does it work with MSN, or is that Yahoo?

There are programs that can allow you to log on to multiple IM clients (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ) simultaneously and view your buddies as one list (eg, Trillian). I'm not sure what you mean by "work with". Also, I don't actually use AIM (the client), I just have an AIM account that I use.
sarbruis
There are programs that can allow you to log on to multiple IM clients (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ) simultaneously and view your buddies as one list (eg, Trillian). I'm not sure what you mean by "work with". Also, I don't actually use AIM (the client), I just have an AIM account that I use.

As in you can add contacts from one network as buddies in another directly. For example with MSN I could add someone with Yahoo to my MSN acc. I dont have an AIM acc myself, so I assume I would need one to add someone with AIM, correct?
Reply 24
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
As in you can add contacts from one network as buddies in another directly. For example with MSN I could add someone with Yahoo to my MSN acc. I dont have an AIM acc myself, so I assume I would need one to add someone with AIM, correct?

I don't know how those programs work, as I don't use them myself. AIM is really popular, so I would imagine that if MSN allows you to add Yahoo buddies, it would allow you to add AIM buddies, but I can't verify that. I'd suggest a program like Trillian if you have buddies who use different clients.
Reply 25
or pidgin!
but just like any other messaging program, you still need an account for each protocol.
sarbruis
I don't know how those programs work, as I don't use them myself. AIM is really popular, so I would imagine that if MSN allows you to add Yahoo buddies, it would allow you to add AIM buddies, but I can't verify that. I'd suggest a program like Trillian if you have buddies who use different clients.

Well if my new uni circle has a range of stuff, then I will have to nab Trillian. I have only had to use MSN so far though.
Reply 27
the rest of europe seem to use ICQ more than MSN. So if you meet foreign students you'll be bombarded by a huge number rather than an email address.
eggman
or pidgin!
but just like any other messaging program, you still need an account for each protocol.

Go Pidgin! To be fair I've never actually tried Trillian, but Pidgin is good.

I've got an MSN account too but I don't use it very much, although I expect that will change.
generic hybrid
Go Pidgin! To be fair I've never actually tried Trillian, but Pidgin is good.

I've got an MSN account too but I don't use it very much, although I expect that will change.

Is AIM better than MSN or about the same? And how come you have like an open invite for people to add you, isnt it a bit risky?
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Is AIM better than MSN or about the same? And how come you have like an open invite for people to add you, isnt it a bit risky?

Well, if some random stranger starts messaging you you can always block them. AIM isn't really better than MSN, but almost everyone in the US uses it.

I quite like Google's chat thing but nobody I know uses it regularly.
Reply 31
Hopping Mad Kangaroo

From what I can tell, they're all really similar. And why would it be risky? If someone adds you and starts to annoy you, you can just ban them. And there's also a warning message when then you get a message from someone who you haven't added; so you can decline to IM someone you don't know.
Reply 32
Older versions of ICQ alway get me a lot of spam messages from randomers which really pees me off.
I could add you all if you want, if someone can give me a link as to where to get an AIM and Trillian or Pidgin. Yeah I suppose you could ban someone, but that doesnt stop someone saying they are someone else on here.
Reply 34
http://pidgin.im/
but as i said you still need all the accounts to use it.
There was this one thing that let you add people from different things that I used to use in the days before the only person I IM'd was my mum, but I've forgotten what it was called :confused:

Nowadays I just use Facebook for online communication, really.
Reply 36
That reminds me... is there a TSR facebook group?
Trillian is arguably the best but it isn't free unfortunately! Pidgen is pretty good and it's free!
eggman
http://pidgin.im/
but as i said you still need all the accounts to use it.

Ill nab it, thanks. :smile: Where do you get an AIM acc from?

Latest