Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hi
    hl: history, geography, english
    sl: biology, maths studies, spanish ab initio

i really regret taking ib. i did very well in my gcses and attended a brit school my whole life so i feel i wouldve done better in a-levels. i have just finished one semester of ib and started the second semester. i hate it. i cant seem to do anything right. i cant believe i didnt do a levels. my parents are expecting me to get into a very good uni and at this point its hopeless

idk how to deal with this stress and these expectations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2567523)
    hi

i really regret taking ib. i did very well in my gcses and attended a brit school my whole life so i feel i wouldve done better in a-levels. i have just finished one semester of ib and started the second semester. i hate it. i cant seem to do anything right. i cant believe i didnt do a levels. my parents are expecting me to get into a very good uni and at this point its hopeless

Hi, I'm in year 11 doing MYP but I'm switching to A levels next year because ib isn't working for me, I'd suggest you just work on getting a decent average because unfortunately you can't focus on what you like which is exactly why I'm moving. I'm not sure but is not possible to do a foundation course instead of year 13? Don't worry too much though, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    hi

Hi i just wanted to say i know exactly how you feel i just started ib and i regret taking it. i wish id taken A-levels, i absolutely hate IB. but then the only thing that is keeping me motivated besides my constant fear of failing is the fact that the 2 years of ib is harder than the first year of uni and that when we get to uni we'll find it easier than our A-level friends because we would've been used to the pressures of IB.

On top of that my friends keep reminding me that ib is the best thing they've chosen while I'm sitting here slowly failing and hating every minute ib.

I suggest you go and get some motivation something to keep you going and then when IB is done you can rant about how much you hate it (believe me no one hates IB more than me trust me)

Good luck
    I'm rooting for you

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my last year of IB and I struggle a lot. I am under so much stress that I have been running a fever for over 3 months now. So I completely understand you!

I hate the IB most of the time but I try to keep reminding myself, why I have chosen this programme in the first place. It was because I wanted to get quality knowledge. Before IB, I was in the national programme in my country and though it is a good programme, IB is so much better. It is harder of course but I know it will provide me with better knowledge.

I suggest you remind yourself of your reasons for choosing IB and try to find something you like in every subject you are taking.

I wish you all the best and don’t give up.

ReputationRep:
    I finished the IB last year, can check my results on my profile
    Hated it, didn't choose it, parents chose it for me because it worked well for my older brother
    In the end I scraped ok results, barely, but it wasn't worth the nightmare of a course tbh. I did pick a relatively tricky combination of subjects, I actually signed up for higher maths but dropped out of that pretty much immediately :lol:

Just try to survive till the end then sleep for six months straight, I just finished my post-IB hibernation

ReputationRep:
    hi

i really regret taking IB. i did very well in my GCSEs and attended a brit school my whole life so i feel i would've done better in a-levels. i have just finished one semester ofIB and started the second semester. i hate it. i cant seem to do anything right. i cant believe i didn't do a levels. my parents are expecting me to get into a very good uni and at this point its hopeless

Hi,
    (HL: English Lit, Visual Art, Philosophy. SL: Math Studies, Italian ab, Biology)

I'm in my final year of the IB Diploma and I can't lie, it is really challenging.
    When I first started the diploma I found myself very disappointed in my grades and had a decrease in my performance levels in most classes I tended to find unchallenging or easier at GCSE level.
    Having my own times of complete and utter regret when I felt completely overwhelmed with deadlines and underperforming compared to my peers, I have also enjoyed it too.
    The IB diploma refines your time management skills and helps you develop a whole different skill set to those doing A-Levels. It goes super quick because you're always doing something, but in my opinion it is worth doing simply because of the class syllabus's. IB tends to study a lot more interesting stuff (in my opinion) that the A-Level syllabus sometimes lacks.

It gets better, but if you do find it's not for you, many schools understand it's a very challenging qualification and are understanding if you wish to drop and change to A-Levels.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.