Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i want to study architecture and i was wondering if my gcse's would hinder my application, they're not bad but they werent the best in my year by around 30 people (bearing in mind i have a large comprehensive school)

i got
    2A* maths geography
    3 A eng lang, additional science, media studies
    3B core science, business studies and english lit
    1C art (i think something has gone wrong here though, my coursework was a b and then on my grade sheet it said it was a d?)

my a levels are maths, further maths chemistry and physics, predicted all a's, but im trying for an a* in maths.

i plan on doing an epq, on something design related (not going to disclose in case someone steals it)

any advice on whether to do a foundation design course would be helpful, and whether my gcses are good enough!!!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    What happened with your coursework is it was moderated down - your teacher gave it too high a mark originally and it was corrected.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowdog2)
    i want to study architecture and i was wondering if my gcse's would hinder my application, they're not bad but they werent the best in my year by around 30 people (bearing in mind i have a large comprehensive school)

i got
    2A* maths geography
    1C art (i think something has gone wrong here though, my coursework was a b and then on my grade sheet it said it was a d?)

my a levels are maths, further maths chemistry and physics, predicted all a's, but im trying for an a* in maths.

i plan on doing an epq, on something design related (not going to disclose in case someone steals it)

any advice on whether to do a foundation design course would be helpful, and whether my gcses are good enough!!!
    thanks
    Your A-levels are more important than GCSEs. But you will need A*AA or better predictions to be on target. And your C in GCSE Art may be a problem.

Also your portfolio is very important.

BTW Architecture is THE most competitive course at Cambridge (fewest places per applicant) so you will need a strong application.

There is a thread for current and potential Cambridge architects:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=504532

ReputationRep:

i got
    2A* maths geography

thanks
    The B in core science would likely be highlighted. They might think predictions of A's in Chemistry and Physics may be a little high based upon that. If you have extenuating circumstances though that would make a difference.

I don't know about architrave in terms of admissions test but they would look very closely at those results more I should imagine. Best of luck. Please do apply but always remember Cambridge applications are extremely competitive and you will need to prepare well.

ReputationRep:

i got
    2A* maths geography

thanks
    As long as you are aiming for A*s at A-Level, I think you stand as much of a chance as anyone else! My cousin studies at Cambridge and he got Cs in a few subjects at GCSE.

It's already been said, but extenuating circumstances will help you here as Cambridge will take more consideration into account with your application. Unfortunately, this can only apply if you've actually had extenuating circumstances.

Also, it depends on the school you go to, and where you live. If you live in a particularly 'poor' or low graduate area, you have a higher chance at being offered a place. Same if you go to a 'bad' school. Sometimes people can also get contextual offers as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.