Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of having to explain situations to others which I didn't even want to explain in the first place only to receive judgement and no bloody sympathy. People are so bloody ignorant. If someone has very strict or rude parents which emotionally/physically abuse someone, nearly all the people I know simply brush it off. They say 'they're your parents they love you and you should be grateful etc.' I think it is disgusting. If I see someone and know they are being genuinely hurt because of their parents I wouldn't say BS like oh they love you and they're your parents. Thats not a damn excuse.
    Its the same with so many things.
    Some people are so insensitive to those who are poorer than them. They assume that everyone should be able to live a lavish lifestyle. One guy literally said to me 'if someone says they aren't materialistic they're lying. Everyone loves money.' I was gonna have a heart attack. They think money is everything in the world. I am wealthy and I have money but I know that sometimes money doesn't do anything. If you have depression or cancer or another situation. Money doesn't cure everything. It can help you get better treatments in the examples I gave, but wtf is a note gonna do for you in such a situation? But people also need to understand that at the same time, money can help solve people's problems. My mom grew up very poor and couldn't go to school and she had many siblings and they all had to share a tiny house. People that live in the same area as me don't understand these things. They don't understand that money isn't everything and they don't understand the worth of money to some people. My mom even said herself, she would rather be poor but happy, rather than have all this money now but be sad.
    And people are so selfish. I am 16 years old. And sometimes nobody asks how I am, even if I am obviously upset. They just want to discuss an upcoming party or something when I need support, even though I drop everything just so I can help my friends, I don't get the same thing back.
    Now, I am not saying everyone is like this!
    It is mainly the school and society I am surrounded by. I feel like an outcast because nobody sees the bigger picture. I have gone through a lot in my life and its normal for teens (and the adults) to be concerned with other things but I think that if they don't understand something they should at least acknowledge it and show support. I am just so tired and lonely and want to know if anyone experienced this problem growing up.
    I have found the only solution is to isolate myself from the bigger crowd and have very few close friends until I can get the hell out of here and meet people with real thoughts about the world.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry mate, you're not alone. What you discovered, I only found out later in life.

First of all, taking your character and personality, you should not be expecting sympathy. Rather you should not be expecting anything, from anyone. They are not obliged to give you anything and neither are you. My construct of "friendship" is rather loose, I have very few close friends who I can personally call friends, because the fact they do not expect anything from me. Relationships that are give and take are business relationships. It's good that you are able to identify these, but what you should do rather than feeling despise to the person who says "you should be grateful" or whatever, is to try sympathise with them. If that's too much of a stretch, try to understand the situation of why he would say that. 8/10 of your conclusions are probably because they are an idiot, and you're probably right. Try to see not everything is about you, and ask them. Honestly, you will get a lot more feedback. If I have to go conversation 101, if you ask someone first, hey, hows it going, how you doing,...", expect "good/bad/ok, and (with high probability) "and you?". Then you can tell then, "not that great, this "thing" has been happening or whatever". And, if they don't ask, at least you have tried and you lose nothing. From their point of view, it was a courteous on your part. Win-win

If you feel like, "why is it ME that has to make the move/change", it's not, you just think it is. If you want something to change, you need to do something differently. If you're mates are unsympathetic and money whores as you claimed, you don't have to associate yourself with them. If you see them everyday in school, it's quite easy to redirect the conversation to a different subject and talk about something else.

What I implore you to do, is try to see the good in people. I have a mate who tries to give me advice on every action and life decision I make and it gets to the point where it's annoying, but in his eyes he genuinely wants what best for me, and I appreciate what he's trying to do. He's a good person.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain mate. I left my best friend today. I just cannot cope with her nonsense. I don't even need people like who whom try to secretly bring me down. I have other better friends but I wasted my time on her. She'd still follow me and just run toward me and she wants me. But she's not my true true friend.

She would say the same to me I should be grateful.... but the yet shed be like " I hate my home..etc".. and I'd just listen like okay?

Recently, she's been minding that I hangout with certain people.. and how I should stick to her and not talk to everyone as it hurts her...
    I don't even understand that. I have a large group of friends and it's ever growing i can't leave them because of one girl. What the hell.
    Whenever I go I hug and talk to them and apparently she felt I was abandoning her...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gameofno)
    I am sick of having to explain situations to others which I didn't even want to explain in the first place only to receive judgement and no bloody sympathy. People are so bloody ignorant. If someone has very strict or rude parents which emotionally/physically abuse someone, nearly all the people I know simply brush it off. They say 'they're your parents they love you and you should be grateful etc.' I think it is disgusting. If I see someone and know they are being genuinely hurt because of their parents I wouldn't say BS like oh they love you and they're your parents. Thats not a damn excuse.
    Its the same with so many things.
    Some people are so insensitive to those who are poorer than them. They assume that everyone should be able to live a lavish lifestyle. One guy literally said to me 'if someone says they aren't materialistic they're lying. Everyone loves money.' I was gonna have a heart attack. They think money is everything in the world. I am wealthy and I have money but I know that sometimes money doesn't do anything. If you have depression or cancer or another situation. Money doesn't cure everything. It can help you get better treatments in the examples I gave, but wtf is a note gonna do for you in such a situation? But people also need to understand that at the same time, money can help solve people's problems. My mom grew up very poor and couldn't go to school and she had many siblings and they all had to share a tiny house. People that live in the same area as me don't understand these things. They don't understand that money isn't everything and they don't understand the worth of money to some people. My mom even said herself, she would rather be poor but happy, rather than have all this money now but be sad.
    And people are so selfish. I am 16 years old. And sometimes nobody asks how I am, even if I am obviously upset. They just want to discuss an upcoming party or something when I need support, even though I drop everything just so I can help my friends, I don't get the same thing back.
    Now, I am not saying everyone is like this!
    It is mainly the school and society I am surrounded by. I feel like an outcast because nobody sees the bigger picture. I have gone through a lot in my life and its normal for teens (and the adults) to be concerned with other things but I think that if they don't understand something they should at least acknowledge it and show support. I am just so tired and lonely and want to know if anyone experienced this problem growing up.
    I have found the only solution is to isolate myself from the bigger crowd and have very few close friends until I can get the hell out of here and meet people with real thoughts about the world.
    how do you know you're not selfish or ignorant ?

ReputationRep:
    I like money, and I'd be comforted knowing that I had money to help me solve my problems. I'm surrounded by people who have this really ignorant mindset of "as long as we're together, it doesn't matter if there's no food on the table."

Money isn't the problem, it's what you aim to use it for that is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.