Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tastiest food you recently ate Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memequeen14)
    It's shopping though 😂
    That's no excuse for settling for a mediocre burger! Besides, there's a MeatLiquor on Oxford Street (just behind debenhams) so you can still do both :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    ^^^What he said, much cheaper too! You don't even need a deep fryer and they're guaranteed to be crispy rather than risking being steamed on the way to your house in a cardboard box.

My method for "oven fried" chicken wings
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ingredients:
    *1 pack of chicken wings
    *1 bottle of Franks Hot Sauce
    *Coarse sea salt
    *Knob of butter (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 200C fan (or 220C fanless)
    2. While the oven is preheating, place a couple of layers of kitchen towel on a plate. Take the chicken wings out of the packet and place them on the pape skin-side up, then cover with another couple of layers of kitchen towel (and press it into all the gaps to ensure maximum contact with the skin). The key factor for crispy wings in the oven is to get the chicken skin as dry as possible so we're removing as much moisture as we can before going into the oven. After the first ten minutes change the top layers of towel, which can then be left on until ready to cook.
    3. When the oven has reached temperature, place a wire cooling rack into a baking tray that will fit it, and place the chicken wings on the rack skin-side up. The gap between the bottom.of the wings and the bottom of the tray created by the rack allows airflow under the wings, allowing even cooking without the need for turning.
    4. Sprinkle the wings liberally with sea salt and place in the oven for at least half an hour (40 mins if you're using very large wings). After this time check the colour of the chicken skin. If it's still fairly pale, give them another ten minutes- we're looking for noticeable browning here. When it's taken on a decent brown shade, give the skin a tap to ensure it's crispy, then remove from the oven if you're satisfied. If you're using larger wings, cut into one at this point to ensure the meat has cooked all the way through to the bone. If you're happy with the cooking, leave them to rest for about 5 minutes.
    5. While the chicken wings are resting, add as much Franks sauce as you feel is necessary to coat the wings to your liking (I personally like a relatively thin coating on wings rather than having them drowning in sauce) to a saucepan and warm over a low heat. An optional step at this point is to add a knob of butter to the sauce- the technical difference between hot sauce and buffalo sauce is whether or not butter has been added. For me I'm a fan of buffalo sauce on wings. Once the sauce has warmed through and the wings have tested, add the wings to a mixing bowl (or large saucepan if you don't have a large bowl) and pour over the sauce, tossing them to coat. Then transfer to a plate/bowl and enjoy!

Wow, this is so simple and genius!! Thank you 🙏🙏 defo gonna try this sometime this week. Guess it could also work with BBQ sauce and it's not deep fried with a batter so it's much healthier I'm eternally grateful :nutcase:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Wow, this is so simple and genius!! Thank you 🙏🙏 defo gonna try this sometime this week. Guess it could also work with BBQ sauce and it's not deep fried with a batter so it's much healthier I'm eternally grateful :nutcase:
    Yep, it's a really nice little recipe. I quite often use it instead of deep frying when I can't be bothered with the mess. There's no oil used either so yeah, much healthier!

Yep, any sauce will work :yep: A couple of others I love on wings:

Spanish style sauce:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4 cloves garlic
    1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
    1 tsp chilli flakes
    4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    3tbsp sherry vinegar
    Pinch of sea salt

1. Finely chop the garlic cloves, then sprinkle with sea salt on the chopping board and crush them down to a paste with the back of the knife
    2. Add the crushed garlic and olive oil to a small saucepan and heat on low-med heat until the garlic starts to sizzle.
    3. When the garlic starts sizzling add the chili flakes and stir, then cook for a couple of extra minutes until the garlic starts to lightly brown.
    4. At this point add the paprika and sherry vinegar and stir to combine before removing from the heat.

Basic Chinese glaze:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    25ml Dark Soy Sauce (if you can find thick soy sauce then even better, look for the word "kicap or "kecap" on the bottle)
    25ml honey
    25ml rice wine vinegar (sherry vinegar makes a decent substitute if you can't find it)
    25ml water
    1 large clove garlic
    Half tsp dried ginger
    Pinch of sea salt

1. Finely slice the garlic and then crush with sea salt, as per the previous recipe.
    2. There's not a whole lot of extra recipe here- throw everything in a pan! Before heating taste a little with a teaspoon and mess with the balance of ingredients to your liking- if it's too sweet add an extra dash of soy, or if it's too salty or acidic add an extra dash of honey and water. Some of the acidity will fade as the sauce is cooked down.
    3. Once you're happy with the flavour balance, heat the sauce on a medium-low heat so that it's bubbling steadily. Continue to heat the sauce until it reaches a thicker glaze consistency- you should be able to stir it with a wooden spoon and see the bottom of the pan before the sauce re-covers it.

BBQ sauce:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not going to write this recipe out, because it's not my recipe and it's a pretty long and involved one at that. It's a Heston Blumenthal recipe intended for pulled pork, and while it's a pretty lengthy recipe just for sauce (there's also a lot of people who will turn their noses up to anything with "Heston" written on it) it is absolutely the best BBQ sauce recipe I have ever cooked and probably the best BBQ sauce I've tasted anywhere. I strongly recommend making a bottle of it if you find yourself with a spare Sunday afternoon, but if you don't want to go through that effort then I would recommend looking at other, simpler recipes that are based around cider vinegar- tangy BBQ sauce is the best BBQ sauce in my opinion!

https://www.waitrose.com/content/wai...bbageslaw.html

ReputationRep:
    My mums stovies. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yep, it's a really nice little recipe. I quite often use it instead of deep frying when I can't be bothered with the mess. There's no oil used either so yeah, much healthier!

Yep, any sauce will work :yep: A couple of others I love on wings:

Spanish style sauce:
    Spoiler:
    Show

4 cloves garlic
    1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
    1 tsp chilli flakes
    4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    3tbsp sherry vinegar
    Pinch of sea salt

1. Finely chop the garlic cloves, then sprinkle with sea salt on the chopping board and crush them down to a paste with the back of the knife
    2. Add the crushed garlic and olive oil to a small saucepan and heat on low-med heat until the garlic starts to sizzle.
    3. When the garlic starts sizzling add the chili flakes and stir, then cook for a couple of extra minutes until the garlic starts to lightly brown.
    4. At this point add the paprika and sherry vinegar and stir to combine before removing from the heat.

Basic Chinese glaze:
    Spoiler:
    Show

25ml Dark Soy Sauce (if you can find thick soy sauce then even better, look for the word "kicap or "kecap" on the bottle)
    25ml honey
    25ml rice wine vinegar (sherry vinegar makes a decent substitute if you can't find it)
    25ml water
    1 large clove garlic
    Half tsp dried ginger
    Pinch of sea salt

1. Finely slice the garlic and then crush with sea salt, as per the previous recipe.
    2. There's not a whole lot of extra recipe here- throw everything in a pan! Before heating taste a little with a teaspoon and mess with the balance of ingredients to your liking- if it's too sweet add an extra dash of soy, or if it's too salty or acidic add an extra dash of honey and water. Some of the acidity will fade as the sauce is cooked down.
    3. Once you're happy with the flavour balance, heat the sauce on a medium-low heat so that it's bubbling steadily. Continue to heat the sauce until it reaches a thicker glaze consistency- you should be able to stir it with a wooden spoon and see the bottom of the pan before the sauce re-covers it.

BBQ sauce:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm not going to write this recipe out, because it's not my recipe and it's a pretty long and involved one at that. It's a Heston Blumenthal recipe intended for pulled pork, and while it's a pretty lengthy recipe just for sauce (there's also a lot of people who will turn their noses up to anything with "Heston" written on it) it is absolutely the best BBQ sauce recipe I have ever cooked and probably the best BBQ sauce I've tasted anywhere. I strongly recommend making a bottle of it if you find yourself with a spare Sunday afternoon, but if you don't want to go through that effort then I would recommend looking at other, simpler recipes that are based around cider vinegar- tangy BBQ sauce is the best BBQ sauce in my opinion!

https://www.waitrose.com/content/wai...bbageslaw.html

Well thats lunch solved for the week, cheers! The Chinese one looks great, and yep no oil but also because you have it on a rack the chicken oil will drip off so its even better! :gasp: A shame I have mocks this week or else I would've made the Bbq sauce today. Thank you, i really appreciate it :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Haggis

pizza

ReputationRep:
      A turkey bacon sandwich with ketchup. :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gofre)
      ^^^What he said, much cheaper too! You don't even need a deep fryer and they're guaranteed to be crispy rather than risking being steamed on the way to your house in a cardboard box.

My method for "oven fried" chicken wings
      Spoiler:
      Show

Ingredients:
      *1 pack of chicken wings
      *1 bottle of Franks Hot Sauce
      *Coarse sea salt
      *Knob of butter (optional)

1. Preheat your oven to 200C fan (or 220C fanless)
      2. While the oven is preheating, place a couple of layers of kitchen towel on a plate. Take the chicken wings out of the packet and place them on the pape skin-side up, then cover with another couple of layers of kitchen towel (and press it into all the gaps to ensure maximum contact with the skin). The key factor for crispy wings in the oven is to get the chicken skin as dry as possible so we're removing as much moisture as we can before going into the oven. After the first ten minutes change the top layers of towel, which can then be left on until ready to cook.
      3. When the oven has reached temperature, place a wire cooling rack into a baking tray that will fit it, and place the chicken wings on the rack skin-side up. The gap between the bottom.of the wings and the bottom of the tray created by the rack allows airflow under the wings, allowing even cooking without the need for turning.
      4. Sprinkle the wings liberally with sea salt and place in the oven for at least half an hour (40 mins if you're using very large wings). After this time check the colour of the chicken skin. If it's still fairly pale, give them another ten minutes- we're looking for noticeable browning here. When it's taken on a decent brown shade, give the skin a tap to ensure it's crispy, then remove from the oven if you're satisfied. If you're using larger wings, cut into one at this point to ensure the meat has cooked all the way through to the bone. If you're happy with the cooking, leave them to rest for about 5 minutes.
      5. While the chicken wings are resting, add as much Franks sauce as you feel is necessary to coat the wings to your liking (I personally like a relatively thin coating on wings rather than having them drowning in sauce) to a saucepan and warm over a low heat. An optional step at this point is to add a knob of butter to the sauce- the technical difference between hot sauce and buffalo sauce is whether or not butter has been added. For me I'm a fan of buffalo sauce on wings. Once the sauce has warmed through and the wings have tested, add the wings to a mixing bowl (or large saucepan if you don't have a large bowl) and pour over the sauce, tossing them to coat. Then transfer to a plate/bowl and enjoy!

I don't do em this way but tbh there are a million ways you can do chicken wings.

I've done them the same way I do actual fried chicken before and that was very good.

ReputationRep:
      Halloumi
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      I had sushi, noodles, pizza and chicken wings yesterday.

Like a king.

ReputationRep:
      P***y

ReputationRep:
      I had some Scottish smoked mackerel in a sweet chilli kind of marinade. From Morrison's. It blew me away.

I ate this with some baked potato mash that I made (bake potatoes very well, scoop out insides, mash with a little butter and black pepper, doesn't need to be pureed). Very good.

ReputationRep:
      Had this quiche the other day

ReputationRep:
      Crunchy Nut Cornflakes: They're Ludicrously Tasty
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wilfred Little)
      I don't do em this way but tbh there are a million ways you can do chicken wings.

I've done them the same way I do actual fried chicken before and that was very good.
      Yeah I've got about half a dozen methods of cooking wings that I use regularly (well, use regularly when I'm not away from an oven for six months at a time :ahee:), that's just a relatively quick, easy and consistent method that's easy to recommend to people who may be intimidated by filling a saucepan with hot oil. There's no real replacement for fried chicken, but this method gets all-over crispy skin with minimal fuss, and that's always the best bit :yep:

ReputationRep:
      Bowl of mint choc chip ice cream :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.