Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for 2017 entry at university. I really want to study a joint honours in Art and Philosophy at Reading. Reading is the only university in England that does this specific course. The entry requirements are BBB, however I want an insurance choice of a similar course. I am already aware that universities such as Newcastle, Exeter and Durham offer combined honours but I would prefer to go to a university closer to my location. I live just outside of London and 2-3 hours travel distance is what I am aiming for. Additionally, I have looked at many more universities that offer joint and combined honours but none of them offer anything along the lines of art, philosophy or ethics apart from Reading and Dundee but Scotland is too far out of range. Does any body have any idea about universities that offer those two subjects together or anything along those lines? I am excluding subjects such as Liberal Arts and Art History as I prefer more practical art such Fine Art or Art & Design.

ReputationRep:
    I think would be quite difficult to find another course limiting yourself to within 2-3 hours of London.

The advantage of Scotland is that as the courses are 4/5 years, if you did a fine arts course you'd be able to take modules in other subjects, like philosophy, in the first year.

You could take a look at Edinburgh's MA fine art course?

ReputationRep:
    I do understand I am limiting myself with the distance. I'd prefer to stay closer to my location but if need be, I'd look at universities that are further away. I think Scotland do have great courses and universities as any other place would but Scotland is a no go for me as it is just too far.

sorry i didnt really make it clear, im just looking at undergraduate courses. I am being very picky and specific with my course which isnt necessarily a good thing as it is difficult to find a course other than at Reading.
    Thank you for your ideas though.

Im just completely stuck. I enjoy studying Art and Philosophy which is why i like the look of the course at Reading. but i want an insurance choice that im happy with because i dont want to pick between the two. its a shame that Philosophy is joint with so many other subjects and so many universities off them but the one i am looking for, only one in England offer it.

(Original post by LeapingLucy)
    I think would be quite difficult to find another course limiting yourself to within 2-3 hours of London.

The advantage of Scotland is that as the courses are 4/5 years, if you did a fine arts course you'd be able to take modules in other subjects, like philosophy, in the first year.

You could take a look at Edinburgh's MA fine art course?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanaTay)
    I do understand I am limiting myself with the distance. I'd prefer to stay closer to my location but if need be, I'd look at universities that are further away. I think Scotland do have great courses and universities as any other place would but Scotland is a no go for me as it is just too far.

sorry i didnt really make it clear, im just looking at undergraduate courses. I am being very picky and specific with my course which isnt necessarily a good thing as it is difficult to find a course other than at Reading.
    Thank you for your ideas though.

Im just completely stuck. I enjoy studying Art and Philosophy which is why i like the look of the course at Reading. but i want an insurance choice that im happy with because i dont want to pick between the two. its a shame that Philosophy is joint with so many other subjects and so many universities off them but the one i am looking for, only one in England offer it.
    I'm afraid there aren't many courses because Art doesn't lend itself well to combined courses. The studio based nature of most courses means a much higher workload and study time than you get on other courses.

And as you've seen - although many universities offer joint honours philosophy degrees there are few that have the studio/staff to offer it combined with fine art.

I'd suggest you apply to insurance places for single honours art or philosophy degrees if you're not willing to go to Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your suggestion. I never thought about the reasoning behind it but it does make sense and I know very well how studio based art is and how time consuming it is. the entry requirements for Dundee are the same as Reading so for me i dont see much point in applying to Dundee if im not willing to go that far. I have applied for single honours in art but none of them are my insurance choice as the one i would go to if Reading wasnt an option. its just difficult to decide between the two especially if i dont get into Reading. I have also thought of doing a foundation diploma in art if i find in August im not happy with any of my options. its just so difficult because i enjoy studying them both. i know that postgraduate courses seem more flexible from what i've seen. so if i do have to choose a single honours (if i dont make it to Reading) there is a possibility of doing such a course at a postgraduate level.

(Original post by PQ)
    I'm afraid there aren't many courses because Art doesn't lend itself well to combined courses. The studio based nature of most courses means a much higher workload and study time than you get on other courses.

And as you've seen - although many universities offer joint honours philosophy degrees there are few that have the studio/staff to offer it combined with fine art.

I'd suggest you apply to insurance places for single honours art or philosophy degrees if you're not willing to go to Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanaTay)
    Thank you for your suggestion. I never thought about the reasoning behind it but it does make sense and I know very well how studio based art is and how time consuming it is. the entry requirements for Dundee are the same as Reading so for me i dont see much point in applying to Dundee if im not willing to go that far. I have applied for single honours in art but none of them are my insurance choice as the one i would go to if Reading wasnt an option. its just difficult to decide between the two especially if i dont get into Reading. I have also thought of doing a foundation diploma in art if i find in August im not happy with any of my options. its just so difficult because i enjoy studying them both. i know that postgraduate courses seem more flexible from what i've seen. so if i do have to choose a single honours (if i dont make it to Reading) there is a possibility of doing such a course at a postgraduate level.
    I think if you don't get Reading this year, but did an art foundation course, and perhaps quite a bit of wider reading in philosophy, you'd be in a really strong position to reapply next year if you wanted to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.