Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you succeed at uni without taking notes? Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you succeed at uni without taking notes?
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%

ReputationRep:
    So I've just about finished my first three modules, and I feel like I should write them up, except I can't really be bothered and don't see the point. Some people I've spoken to say they forget the entire module when it's finished, so I am wondering, do you think it's necessary to take notes to do well at your degree?

I am particularly interested in knowing whether the second/third year is possible when you haven't written up previous modules. For example we have "Software Engineering" modules later on which might depend on the knowledge of the first year module of the same name, should that then necessitate me writing it up? Or will later modules be self-contained?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    So I've just about finished my first three modules, and I feel like I should write them up, except I can't really be bothered and don't see the point. Some people I've spoken to say they forget the entire module when it's finished, so I am wondering, do you think it's necessary to take notes to do well at your degree?

I am particularly interested in knowing whether the second/third year is possible when you haven't written up previous modules. For example we have "Software Engineering" modules later on which might depend on the knowledge of the first year module of the same name, should that then necessitate me writing it up? Or will later modules be self-contained?
    Hello,

Personally, I believe - yes! Course depending however. Some people naturally return information and will be able to just recall it when it is needed - others need to take notes of everything - just in case. However, I do think you could get through university without notes. Personally, I take notes in most of my lectures however, I've never reflected back on these - when it comes to doing assignments, I'm gaining my research from books and articles - therefore, I have no need for using my notes. However, I take them because 1. it gives me something to do in lectures that are theory based and 2. if I go into teaching or tutoring, I will be able to use these notes then.

So, really, it all depends!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.