Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lets say I finished my GP training.. How difficult would it be to get a job in central london, or london at all?

Would you need a lot of positive things in your CV, like research, presentations etc?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Right now pretty easy - there seem to be plenty of under doctored places...
    (But there are even more outside of London so the pay is probably higher outside!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Right now pretty easy - there seem to be plenty of under doctored places...
    (But there are even more outside of London so the pay is probably higher outside!)
    Oh okay, thanks for your response

ReputationRep:
    London as a whole, probably pretty easy - people aren't queueing up to work in e.g. Woolwich... Central might be a bit tougher but not impossible. Different patient demographic though, and challenging in their own ways - you'd need to get a feel for things and what you are most comfortable handling.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do medicine, its a complete waste of time. Poor pay with a poor work environment. Doctors at each and every level are frustrated and unhappy. Don't say you weren't warned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    London as a whole, probably pretty easy - people aren't queueing up to work in e.g. Woolwich... Central might be a bit tougher but not impossible. Different patient demographic though, and challenging in their own ways - you'd need to get a feel for things and what you are most comfortable handling.
    What she is saying is that its full of poncy, over-demanding old money types that will write complaints against you for absolutely nothing at all. Avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBoysofNYU)
    What she is saying is that its full of poncy, over-demanding old money types that will write complaints against you for absolutely nothing at all. Avoid.
    Ah yes, that'll be all those dukes and duchesses in Lambeth and Tower Hamlets, you've definitely cottoned onto the patient demographic...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response @helenia. You've been helpful as always.

Let's say as a contracted GP working in central, what would I be earning after all the deductions? (not really sure what they are, im only a first year atm).

@democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty123A)
    Thanks for your response @helenia. You've been helpful as always.

Let's say as a contracted GP working in central, what would I be earning after all the deductions? (not really sure what they are, im only a first year atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Salaried GPs in London are probably 8,000-9,500 a year per session (which is nominally a half day/4 hours that are done on a weekly basis).

This may be inclusive or exclusive of indemnity/insurance which is pushing £1,000 a session per year these days. Other deductions are the usual for medics - GMC, ?BMA and ?RCGP membership etc. & also tax deductible.

But as I said anecdotally sessional rates are higher outside of London.

Salary would depend on things like experience, how difficult to recruit/well funded the practice is (!), share of on calls, how busy it is & if you do extended/more antisocial hours clinics.

From my experiences working in central London the "demanding" types aren't always who you might expect... Plenty of state funded people with high demands in the less affluent areas & cautious old money types who happily self fund or use insurance to go private when it makes sense but ideologically like to support/use the NHS or who value primary care as it exists at the moment. Practice demographics do vary as with anywhere though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do medicine, its a complete waste of time. Poor pay with a poor work environment. Doctors at each and every level are frustrated and unhappy. Don't say you weren't warned!
    That wasn't the question and the OP might well already be a medical student or foundation doctor. It's also not true - medicine is still an awesome career and not one I'd readily swap for anything else. I fully accept that the NHS is generally a sh*t place to work at the moment but there are 101 other things that doctors can do (with all or some of their time) that don't require them to go down with the ship.

If the OP is feeling creative, they might want to think about a central London future in private general practice or concierge medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    That wasn't the question and the OP might well already be a medical student or foundation doctor. It's also not true - medicine is still an awesome career and not one I'd readily swap for anything else. I fully accept that the NHS is generally a sh*t place to work at the moment but there are 101 other things that doctors can do (with all or some of their time) that don't require them to go down with the ship.

If the OP is feeling creative, they might want to think about a central London future in private general practice or concierge medicine.
    Why would you go into a career to do "101 other things" - that's nonsense. Just do the other thing directly.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you go into a career to do "101 other things" - that's nonsense. Just do the other thing directly.
    Because "medicine" and "the NHS" are not synonymous. You can do 101 things within medicine that keep you far away from Jeremy Hunt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.