Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

100 push ups, 100 sit ups and 100 squats a day. Watch

ReputationRep:
    And a 5 km run everyday. Will these help me tone my muscles and get in shape? I'm going to a gym right now but since I'm new and don't have a personal trainer (don't intend to get one), I'm kinda clueless what to do. I'd go there warm up a bit (45 push ups, 45 crunches and 45 half curls, some other bicep workouts) and then do some butterflies and pullies. It's just so not properly worked out so I'm thinking if it's going to transform my body.
    What should I do? I'm 17 and am very skinny (55 kg I think and 175 cm). I wouldn't mind adding exercises to my list of basics if I end up quiting gym.
    Should I not quit gym, can someone tell me what workouts should I do everyday at the gym (reps and weight included)?
    I don't want to get big just want to look strong and get my muscles toned.
    I'd rather just do the basics. Help me out!

ReputationRep:
    Read the FAQ.

To answer your first question briefly, no.
    Toning doesn't exist. Building muscle and losing fat does.
    I would not train every day, you adapt when you rest.
    You aren't going to look strong at 55kg, so you do need to get bigger.
    Eat more food than you think you need to, adjust your food so you are gaining about 1 pound a week.
    Follow a basic full body training program that uses moderate weight/volume on the basic barbell exercises, the squat, deadlift, overhead press, rows and bench press are a good selection. Starting Strength and Stronglifts are popular ones but there are more good options, a lot of them better and more balanced in my opinion.
    Add weight to the bar when you can, use good form and get plenty of rest.
    You want to do the basics, this is the basics.

I've probably missed something so again, read the FAQ.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can't rep you BCam.

Op - don't train EVERY day, your cns will not thank you.

Read FAQ, once you've done so if you still have questions then fire away

ReputationRep:
    Going from doing nothing/a little to exercising heavily every day is a very quick way to burn out. You'll feel tired, your muscles will be as stiff as a board, and your regime will last a couple of weeks at most.

People will give you a million and one suggestions to get fitter because there is no optimum way. However the one constant in people have have improved their fitness is they've stuck at it over time. So take it slowly at first and try different things (there's no shortage of programmes for strength training, running, and everything in between on the internet) until you find something you enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    Exercises for gaining strength (and looking strong)

1. Squats, with barbell
    2. Overhead Press, with barbell
    3. Bench Press, ditto
    4. Deadlift, ditto
    5. Pull-Ups
    6. Dips

These are the Big 6 compound exercises. Add weight progressively to the barbell when used. You should exercise every 2nd day so that your body can recover from the stimulus (it won't do so if you train every day). Eat healthily. Get lots of sleep.

That's it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much guys @bcam. @unistudent77 @quantex @sir albert.
    What you all have stated makes complete sense and I'm definitely going to follow your advices.
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    to be totally honest, you're killing yourself XD
    don't overwork because exercising too much isn't going to do you any good; I'd say lower the amount to at least half, so 50 50 50
    ngl tho, I'm not an expert so don't take my word for it

ReputationRep:
    eat more food. Would even go and say forget about the cardio unless you want to considerably increase your calorie intake. At 5'9 You ideally want to be around 65-70kg if you want to look shredded at low bf. However at some point you will have to go above that(80kg) in order to gain enough muscle.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    That workout runs the risks of overtraining and injury. It also won't achieve Saitama's physique if that's something you're after. Please see this video that talks about the workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2iICRLVkfY

Advice for a good routine for you will depend on your exact goals (e.g. strength, physique, cardiovascular fitness, etc.), but the users here are pretty knowledgeable and can help you out.

P.S. I like to follow his no air-con rule though. This is a photo of my air conditioner:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Can't rep you BCam.

Op - don't train EVERY day, your cns will not thank you.

Read FAQ, once you've done so if you still have questions then fire away
    CNS will be absolutely fine. That will be the least of OPs worries.

5km every day is a bit excessive in terms of your goals. You should maybe run 1-2 days a week, and do weight training in between. Try something like gentle steady state rowing/cycling/swimming inbetween the days you aren't running, if you wish to give your joints a bit more of a break but still feel productive in the gym, call it 'active recovery' if you so wish. Mix it up a bit, keep it interesting.

But as the first poster said, read the FAQ

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.