Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My hands are always FREEZING! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    I don't think I have heard that joke before . How does it go?
    Well you know what they say? Cold hands = Warm heart
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    i have a similar issue, if i go out without gloves my hands literally turn a shade of purple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavidastudent)
    Well you know what they say? Cold hands = Warm heart
    Well in that case, I have a very warm heart

ReputationRep:
    Well in that case, I have a very warm heart
    Yay! You've got to see the silver linings in these situations.

ReputationRep:
    I do a lot of walking during term time but I still find that my hands get really cold. Hmmm perhaps it's my protein intake that's the problem, since I'm vegetarian and don't eat many protein products...
    Walking might not be enough. I mean getting your heart rate up quite substantially and sustaining it there for 20+ minutes. And the vegetarianism is something that needs to be done properly if you want to avoid malnutrition.

ReputationRep:
    Lol my mum made me see my GP for the same reason but apparently it's not that big of a deal..
    She told me to wear gloves more often :laugh:

Get it checked still though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my hands and feet always tend to be very cold. I usually wear two pairs of socks and even double up with gloves outside because it really snows where I'm staying and the temperature goes below 0. I still like sleeping with my window open xD

It's just because of poor circulation, but see your doctor it's best to rule anything else out.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else have this problem where their hands are always freezing cold? I'm not exaggerating when I say freezing either... I've been inside my room (which is quite warm) for most of the day yet my hands feel like I've been and made a snowman whilst wearing no gloves!
    My hands are like this every single day. When I touch people, they gasp because my hands are so cold. My feet are also really cold even though I'm wearing socks. The rest of my body is warm.
    Is this is an indicator of some underlying health problem that I should see a health professional about?

Nahh.. my whole body is always icy cold. I thought I was a cold blooded vampire but because I lack some emotions I figured it was because I no longer have a soul. Tell me. Do you experience... emotion? *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    Out of curiosity, do you get regular joint pain/ clicking joints/ have extra flexible joints?
    I do have clicking joints, yes .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Walking might not be enough. I mean getting your heart rate up quite substantially and sustaining it there for 20+ minutes. And the vegetarianism is something that needs to be done properly if you want to avoid malnutrition.
    My walking does get my heart rate up because I always end up having to speed walk to sixth form (which is a 35 minute speed walk each way) due to leaving the house late. I'm too lazy to do anything else. I might try yoga though.
    And hmmm I should probably take better care of my diet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too lazy to do anything else...
    Good health requires work
    It's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Nahh.. my whole body is always icy cold. I thought I was a cold blooded vampire but because I lack some emotions I figured it was because I no longer have a soul. Tell me. Do you experience... emotion? *shudders*
    Only my hands and feet get cold so I can confirm that I am fully human. Emotions... some I lack more than others
    You should see a GP about your missing soul, they might be able to get you a transplant .

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's just your blood circulation. I get it too and so does my mum, ask a family member if they get it and they probably will too
    Gonna take a wild guess and say you're pretty tall? I think thats why me and my mum get it haha
    If you're out in the cold and it gets really bad (blue hands here alllll the time in winder lolz) just wiggle your fingers about. It promotes circulation and warms them up :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi just an opinion, but hopefully an informed one: although CraggyRax and Starfab have made suggestions that are excellent general advice, there is no evidence that either protein or vitamin deficiency can lead to cold hands, except possibly in theory via a remote connection between some nutrients and the factors that control blood flow to the skin - it is an established fact that we lose more heat from our periphery, especially the hands and feet, which have a large surface area, and if anything (again purely theoretically) a low protein diet would conceivably increase the need for protein synthesis by the liver (which is know to produce albumin, alpha and beta globulins, and some clotting factors (e.g. factors II, V and X) and since the liver is the primary heat producer of the body (due to a high level of metabolism), this would tend to raise body temperature, if anything, which could translate to warmer hands.

In summary, it is most likely that the problem encountered by jessyjellytot14 is EITHER due to Raynaud's phenomenon as suggested by MoshBosh (which is also seen in users of pneumatic drills [which I am sure this person is not] and as a side effect of some medications [are you taking beta-blockers for any reason e.g. for migraine or anxiety? OR ergot preparations for migraine?] OR due to smoking (nicotine is a vasoconstrictor) OR even stress. (One common feature of Raynaud's is a bluish appearance [cyanosis] of the fingers at some stage of the process).

OR a manifestation of chilblains (as posted by tamil fever) (do your fingers swell up or feel itchy?).

I would certainly see your GP to exclude rare causes.

ReputationRep:
    Mine are, but I have quite severe raynauds

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.