The Student Room Group

Buying a used Macbook Pro (2015 model)

Hi I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro, the 2015 model with 128GB storage, 8GB RAM and 2.7ghz i5 processor. I will probably be looking to buy it second hand as the price varies from around £700-750 where as on the apple store even with the university discount the price stands at around £1100.
Now the question I'm asking is what I should be looking at and what I should be asking before making a purchase, I heard looking at the battery cycle is always a good thing?
P.s. I will only be using the laptop for routine essay writing, watching movies and browsing the web, which is why I considered the macbook air as it seemed more portable and appriopriate, however the fact the screen isn't a retina, absence of the hdmi port and probably the likeliness of it being discontinued scared me off.
Reply 1
Out of curiosity, why buy a powerful (and expensive) Macbook if all you're doing is writing essays, watching films, and browsing the internet? Wouldn't a cheaper (weaker) laptop running Windows/etc serve the same function? Genuinely curious.
Reply 2
I mean the macbook model I'm looking at, was only bought in september and has a battery cycle of 116, which I assume is not so bad.
I'm mainly considering a macbook because I heard they are pretty durable, unlike windows machines. I must have been through 3 windows laptops in the last 8 years, where either the hard drive failed, battery has failed or the software crashed. Therefore I'd like to shell out a bit more and know that I am getting a machine that will last me a good 4-5 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending