Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro, the 2015 model with 128GB storage, 8GB RAM and 2.7ghz i5 processor. I will probably be looking to buy it second hand as the price varies from around £700-750 where as on the apple store even with the university discount the price stands at around £1100.
    Now the question I'm asking is what I should be looking at and what I should be asking before making a purchase, I heard looking at the battery cycle is always a good thing?
    P.s. I will only be using the laptop for routine essay writing, watching movies and browsing the web, which is why I considered the macbook air as it seemed more portable and appriopriate, however the fact the screen isn't a retina, absence of the hdmi port and probably the likeliness of it being discontinued scared me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomekplnd)
    Hi I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro, the 2015 model with 128GB storage, 8GB RAM and 2.7ghz i5 processor. I will probably be looking to buy it second hand as the price varies from around £700-750 where as on the apple store even with the university discount the price stands at around £1100.
    Now the question I'm asking is what I should be looking at and what I should be asking before making a purchase, I heard looking at the battery cycle is always a good thing?
    P.s. I will only be using the laptop for routine essay writing, watching movies and browsing the web, which is why I considered the macbook air as it seemed more portable and appriopriate, however the fact the screen isn't a retina, absence of the hdmi port and probably the likeliness of it being discontinued scared me off.
    Check the battery for sure, although you can never really tell how much a battery has been through.

Everything else should be in good working order, although check to see if any parts have been replaced. Check for the usual signs of wear and tear. I'd also consider popping the back off and seeing if any components look like they may have been replaced and in general to see the condition.

Ideally check all the ports are working and if you want check the screen for dad pixels. Try to check all the keys work as well. This is all common stuff that you'd check with a laptop though.

Out of interest why are you considering a Macbook? You can pick up a more modern Dell XPS 13 for example for a similar price and spec, I managed to get my 2016 model brand new on eBay for £800. Also came with 256GB of storage and a 1080p screen. If you're not using it for much you could easily get away with something cheaper. Or spend the same amount and get a superior device.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, why buy a powerful (and expensive) Macbook if all you're doing is writing essays, watching films, and browsing the internet? Wouldn't a cheaper (weaker) laptop running Windows/etc serve the same function? Genuinely curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Check the battery for sure, although you can never really tell how much a battery has been through.

Everything else should be in good working order, although check to see if any parts have been replaced. Check for the usual signs of wear and tear. I'd also consider popping the back off and seeing if any components look like they may have been replaced and in general to see the condition.

Ideally check all the ports are working and if you want check the screen for dad pixels. Try to check all the keys work as well. This is all common stuff that you'd check with a laptop though.

Out of interest why are you considering a Macbook? You can pick up a more modern Dell XPS 13 for example for a similar price and spec, I managed to get my 2016 model brand new on eBay for £800. Also came with 256GB of storage and a 1080p screen. If you're not using it for much you could easily get away with something cheaper. Or spend the same amount and get a superior device.
    I mean the macbook model I'm looking at, was only bought in september and has a battery cycle of 116, which I assume is not so bad.
    I'm mainly considering a macbook because I heard they are pretty durable, unlike windows machines. I must have been through 3 windows laptops in the last 8 years, where either the hard drive failed, battery has failed or the software crashed. Therefore I'd like to shell out a bit more and know that I am getting a machine that will last me a good 4-5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomekplnd)
    I mean the macbook model I'm looking at, was only bought in september and has a battery cycle of 116, which I assume is not so bad.
    I'm mainly considering a macbook because I heard they are pretty durable, unlike windows machines. I must have been through 3 windows laptops in the last 8 years, where either the hard drive failed, battery has failed or the software crashed. Therefore I'd like to shell out a bit more and know that I am getting a machine that will last me a good 4-5 years.
    The Macbook Air reports a maximum of 1000 charge cycles before seriously degrading, which would equate to roughly 3 years of draining and charging the battery fully everyday. That said I wouldn't use it as a metric for battery life. It's more likely that the battery will degrade and need replacing before you reach the 1000 charge cycles, largely because we don't tend to fully deplete and recharge batteries. In general we aren't very good at taking care of batteries. 2-3 years of normal use is fairly average before you start noticing battery degredation. As a side note if the battery was bought in September 2016 then 116 charge cycles suggests it has been used daily with the battery being fully drained every day. That could suggest the battery is not going to get your through a full day, that the previous user was a heavy user and on. Interpret it however you want.

The idea that Macbooks are durable and Windows laptops are not is a fallacy. Apple don't offer cheap consumer hardware. Everything Apple offers is expensive and high end. If you're paying £1000 for a laptop you'd expect it to be high quality. Windows machines on the other hand tend to cater to everyone. You can buy a cheap £300 laptop or a £3000 gaming monstrosity. Windows laptops aren't inherently poor quality. If you buy a cheap laptop you get cheap performance. If you buy something comparatively priced to a Macbook you get similar performance and durability. Also worth noting that drive failures and battery failures are really a complete lottery. You could be completely unlucky with any device, it's not an inherent issue with buying a Windows machine. There are plenty of expensive Windows laptops that will rival or outperform a Macbook Air. I wouldn't recommend switching to a Macbok just because you've heard they are durable. Do research and make an informed choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.