The Student Room Group

Uni friends disappear during the holidays

I don't know if anyone else has this problem.
I have two close friends at university. During the holidays they disappear. One of them isn't into texting to begin with, so it isn't really a surprise that though I see her irl and we hang out during uni but don't keep in contact very frequently during the holidays.
The other friend however is big on texting and is always on her phone. During term time we would exchange messages several times a day, but during the holidays she'd hardly message, and she'd take no less than 3/4 days to respond if I were to message her. She doesn't seem very keen on keeping contact during the holidays, but I could tell that she has been using her phone loads in the meantime.

This has just been disappointing me and bringing me down, as I feel that we are close enough friends to the point where we'd be interested in talking to each other whether we saw each other at uni or not. I'd have lots to share with her, but can't. I also worry that it is a sign of things to come after graduation.
-On the other hand I think that this might be what people do because they just want to focus more on friends/family back home because time back home is limited, but that post graduation they'd still be texting me as much as ever. Also think perhaps this'll change as years pass and we get closer.

Anybody say whether this is normal behavior from friends, and does it get better with time?
Both girls are Asian (I am not) so they have big families - so cultural insights from Asians would also be appreciated
first term friendships at uni can be super intense as people are alone - when they go home they probably just got a bit of distance, doesn't mean things won't be good when they come back... but by the time you graduate you'll have been friends for three years and they'll make more effort...and yes, they probably are focusing on friends/family at home while they're there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending