The Student Room Group

RAF Application - WSOp

Hi, I just wanted to ask if there is any one who is currently applying for the WSOp role or has done recently, if they could tell me about their experience through the application process, my next step is CBAT FYI

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HFC26
Hi, I just wanted to ask if there is any one who is currently applying for the WSOp role or has done recently, if they could tell me about their experience through the application process, my next step is CBAT FYI

Thanks

I'm currently going through my second application for WSOp. I've got CBAT within the next few weeks.

Feel free to PM me, and I'll see what I can help with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by HFC26

Thanks

Hello i passed CBAT in October had a filter interview in November which i failed, so i was told to come back in December for a second filter interview which i passed.

I am now waiting for my medical which is in February and the staff at the AFCO have set up a familiarisation visit to cranwell towards the end of january.
Reply 3
Original post by TheHog
Hello i passed CBAT in October had a filter interview in November which i failed, so i was told to come back in December for a second filter interview which i passed.

I am now waiting for my medical which is in February and the staff at the AFCO have set up a familiarisation visit to cranwell towards the end of january.

Any advice for CBAT and the filter interview?
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by HFC26
Any advice for CBAT and the filter interview?
Thanks

In terms of CBAT it is something you can't really prepare for, the only thing i would advise is to practice speed distance time calculations in your head not on paper, no pens or paper are allowed in CBAT, that said it is only a small section of CBAT. The rest of CBAT tests are based on natural ability things like memory, reaction time, multi-tasking, audible capacity and many more you can't really prepare for this.

A note on motivation keep going and power through the tests, i did really really bad on one section halfway through, but i kept my head up and powered through. The tests are designed so you fail, (my opinion not a fact) there was one section which had 20 questions with only 2 minutes to answer them all i managed about 9 so don't panic its just how it is.

I'm assuming you have had your P2 presentation?
Reply 5
Original post by TheHog
In terms of CBAT it is something you can't really prepare for, the only thing i would advise is to practice speed distance time calculations in your head not on paper, no pens or paper are allowed in CBAT, that said it is only a small section of CBAT. The rest of CBAT tests are based on natural ability things like memory, reaction time, multi-tasking, audible capacity and many more you can't really prepare for this.

A note on motivation keep going and power through the tests, i did really really bad on one section halfway through, but i kept my head up and powered through. The tests are designed so you fail, (my opinion not a fact) there was one section which had 20 questions with only 2 minutes to answer them all i managed about 9 so don't panic its just how it is.

I'm assuming you have had your P2 presentation?

Ok thankyou, very helpful, and yeah I have had my P2
Reply 6
Original post by HFC26
Ok thankyou, very helpful, and yeah I have had my P2

In terms of the filter interview start preparing now, there is a large amount to learn and memorise no notes allowed in the interview. Make sure you have researched yourself thoroughly, they place a great deal of emphasis on your life between the ages of 11-18 a great deal more than i anticipated. I am quite a bit older than the average candidate so it was difficult for me to remember what i did at that age and that contributed to my fail first time around. So make sure you have followed the guidance given to you at your P2 and do your own research. If there is anything specific you need to know about any areas for the filter interview just ask.
Reply 7
Just wondered what WSOp role you guys would prefer to be streamed into, if you had a choice.
Original post by Ikaruss
Just wondered what WSOp role you guys would prefer to be streamed into, if you had a choice.

Ikaruss,

Mate, I'd gladly take any position. For me, each role offers an exciting challenge and whilst Rotary (if I'm brutally honest) would be #1, just to get my brevet would be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Ikaruss

Crewman hopefully rotary, i didn't pass for EW on the CBAT testing and don't have quals for linguist.
Original post by TheHog
Crewman hopefully rotary, i didn't pass for EW on the CBAT testing and don't have quals for linguist.

TheHog,

OOI, do they now do a separate score for WSOp EW? Or is it still down as generic WSOp?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by 0902
TheHog,

OOI, do they now do a separate score for WSOp EW? Or is it still down as generic WSOp?

Posted from TSR Mobile

0902 what does OOI mean?

As far as i am aware yes, the CBAT results sheet has 3 separate scores and requirements for the 3 types of WSOP the only one i passed for was WSOP crewman fortunately for me thats the one i wanted.
Original post by TheHog
0902 what does OOI mean?

As far as i am aware yes, the CBAT results sheet has 3 separate scores and requirements for the 3 types of WSOP the only one i passed for was WSOP crewman fortunately for me thats the one i wanted.

Sorry, OOI is out of interest (lazy abbreviation).

Ah, that's interesting. It sounds like its changed format somewhat since I last did it back in Sep'15.

Was it your first attempt at CBAT?

Best regards.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by 0902
Sorry, OOI is out of interest (lazy abbreviation).

Ah, that's interesting. It sounds like its changed format somewhat since I last did it back in Sep'15.

Was it your first attempt at CBAT?

Best regards.

Yes it was my first attempt at CBAT thankfully, i would not want to do it again!

Why are you applying WSOP second time around.
Original post by TheHog
Yes it was my first attempt at CBAT thankfully, i would not want to do it again!

Why are you applying WSOP second time around.

Well done.

The role just interests me, the flying aspect looks challenging, the opportunities to travel and of course to serve my country and make a career out of it.

I feel more confident second time around, so just got to hope that my prior CBAT experience will give me the extra skills I need to gain a good score this time around.
Reply 15
Original post by 0902
Well done.

The role just interests me, the flying aspect looks challenging, the opportunities to travel and of course to serve my country and make a career out of it.

I feel more confident second time around, so just got to hope that my prior CBAT experience will give me the extra skills I need to gain a good score this time around.

So did you fail CBAT the first time you attempted it?
Original post by TheHog
So did you fail CBAT the first time you attempted it?

Sadly so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Where did you fail? Overall score or a specific area?
Original post by TheHog
Where did you fail? Overall score or a specific area?

Overall score and I believe perception and Systematic reasoning were my weak areas.
just out of curiosity , ive initially applied as pilot, and called to changed roles to WSOp the day they booked me in for the CBAT test, they have since called me back to say I should ignore the date for the CBAT and wait to here in the next couple of days for a formal interview .
just reading through whats on here already it seems you guys have sat the CBAT pre interview ?
can anyone help I feel like somethings not quite right in terms of my application

Quick Reply

Latest