Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie010893)
    just out of curiosity , ive initially applied as pilot, and called to changed roles to WSOp the day they booked me in for the CBAT test, they have since called me back to say I should ignore the date for the CBAT and wait to here in the next couple of days for a formal interview .
    just reading through whats on here already it seems you guys have sat the CBAT pre interview ?
    can anyone help I feel like somethings not quite right in terms of my application
    Is it possible you can run me through your contact with the RAF so far

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiosity , ive initially applied as pilot, and called to changed roles to WSOp the day they booked me in for the CBAT test, they have since called me back to say I should ignore the date for the CBAT and wait to here in the next couple of days for a formal interview .
    just reading through whats on here already it seems you guys have sat the CBAT pre interview ?
    can anyone help I feel like somethings not quite right in terms of my application
    Jamie, not being funny mate, but why don't you just ring the contact number on the paperwork you've got or through this

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/contact/

if you're not sure about something, the recruitment people are the ones to clarify it for you. Your application is unique to you, it's unlikely anyone on TSR will know the full details or be able to answer your questions. Don't be embarrassed, if they've left you in doubt as to the status of your application, then just tell them and ask them to put your mind at rest.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for both replies, they have been in touch today to say the information the guy gave me from the AFCO over the phone wasn't correct and is new to his role .
    Sitting the CBAT in a couple of weeks time wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    Other than that is there anything you could say or suggest to help in the CBAT ?

ReputationRep:
    Other than that is there anything you could say or suggest to help in the CBAT ?
    If you read this whole thread which isn't very long, you should see i have already answered this question. If you are still unsure after reading the entirety of the thread get back to me.

TheHog

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Jamie, first time I did pilot aptitude tests at OASC Biggin Hill, it was all analogue stuff, but actually really good fun (bit like 1st gen Flight Sim with no graphics!). Last time I tried (2000) the CBAT at OASC Cranwell was fairly new. All I remember was that it was pretty intense for a few hours and required complete focus for the whole time.

There's been a lot of chat about CBAT in the last few months, so best thing to do is search for CBAT on TSR, find the most recent candidates and ask them direct. At the end of the day, you have to remember it's an aptitude test, which means that you won't necessarily have the natural aptitude required for the role you want. I'm not sure how much practice and pre-prep will improve that, but some very clever scientists have designed the tests to measure what you are good at.

What will be will be! But very best of luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikaruss)
    Sorry Jamie, first time I did pilot aptitude tests at OASC Biggin Hill, it was all analogue stuff, but actually really good fun (bit like 1st gen Flight Sim with no graphics!). Last time I tried (2000) the CBAT at OASC Cranwell was fairly new. All I remember was that it was pretty intense for a few hours and required complete focus for the whole time.

There's been a lot of chat about CBAT in the last few months, so best thing to do is search for CBAT on TSR, find the most recent candidates and ask them direct. At the end of the day, you have to remember it's an aptitude test, which means that you won't necessarily have the natural aptitude required for the role you want. I'm not sure how much practice and pre-prep will improve that, but some very clever scientists have designed the tests to measure what you are good at.

What will be will be! But very best of luck anyway.
    Ikarrus out of curiosity did you use the wooden frame with the pedals and joystick or was that before your time?

CBAT 2016 they showed me the advancement of the technology used for testing. Its come a long way in a short period of time!

ReputationRep:
    The very best of luck with your CBAT and application.

All I can honestly say to revise is;

General mathematics (quick fire 'addition' 'subtraction' 'division' and 'multiplication' ),
    Memory tasks (remembering mobile numbers would be suffice),
    Speed, Distance and Time - there is a website that offers SDT questions along with a thread on the TSR Armed Forces section.

As a recent WSOp CBAT failed candidate (second attempt), just do your best. Relax, read (and read again) the question.

Keep us informed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHog)
    Ikarrus out of curiosity did you use the wooden frame with the pedals and joystick or was that before your time?

CBAT 2016 they showed me the advancement of the technology used for testing. Its come a long way in a short period of time!
    When I was on a 5 minute break on my CBAT (both occasions) I had a quick snout at the old style testing equipment. The old version of the reaction test with the grey box, control column and cross hairs on screen looked brill. Fast forward to 2017, plastic rudder pedals, Flight Sim joystick and virtually flat screen monitor!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHog)

Yes mate. This was the standard pilot aptitude test technology circa 1970s Name:  Pilot Aptitude Test.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  23.1 KB

If you're interested in the OASC process from the past, see this classic docu series 'Fighter PIlot' Episode 1 - Dreams shows the whole thing inc aptitude and leadership tests etc. The technology may have changed, but the interview and hangar tests remain the same. I cringe at the images, knowing that I looked and dressed like that. But hey, it was the 70s, the decade that taste forgot! Early on in the episode is a chap who subsequently became my crew captain, then Sqn boss and later, Station Commander. Watch and smile. But remember, the person required is pretty much the same as then

PS You may note the, er, complete lack of diversity in the whole process! Seems very strange looking through the lens of 2017, but that was then, different times altogether. My OCU instructor used to smack me round the head to 'encourage' me, but he also moonlighted as a nightclub bouncer (seriously!). By the time I became an instructor, the teaching style had changed completely and that is what you guys will benefit from.

That's not to say you can't be chopped (fail), but if you listen and improve and demonstrate improvement, then you'll have no problem. If you have an attitude, you WILL be chopped!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes mate. This was the standard pilot aptitude test technology circa 1970s Name:  Pilot Aptitude Test.jpg

If you're interested in the OASC process from the past, see this classic docu series 'Fighter PIlot' Episode 1 - Dreams shows the whole thing inc aptitude and leadership tests etc. The technology may have changed, but the interview and hangar tests remain the same. I cringe at the images, knowing that I looked and dressed like that. But hey, it was the 70s, the decade that taste forgot! Early on in the episode is a chap who subsequently became my crew captain, then Sqn boss and later, Station Commander. Watch and smile. But remember, the person required is pretty much the same as then

PS You may note the, er, complete lack of diversity in the whole process! Seems very strange looking through the lens of 2017, but that was then, different times altogether. My OCU instructor used to smack me round the head to 'encourage' me, but he also moonlighted as a nightclub bouncer (seriously!). By the time I became an instructor, the teaching style had changed completely and that is what you guys will benefit from.

That's not to say you can't be chopped (fail), but if you listen and improve and demonstrate improvement, then you'll have no problem. If you have an attitude, you WILL be chopped!
    Thanks for the great find, Ikaruss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

One of the heros in Fighter Pilot is still flying and is perhaps the longest serving QFI at Cranwell!

ReputationRep:

Brilliant thanks for this i am currently awaiting an OASC date one final hurdle to overcome! I just hope i can do myself justice and not get myself to wound up the day of the assessments. It seems the more time i spend preparing the more i feel i don't know! Anyway thanks alot for the extra information every little helps to boost my confidence going into OASC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    One of the heros in Fighter Pilot is still flying and is perhaps the longest serving QFI at Cranwell!
    Hey mate, which one is that. (initials if necessary, although he's probably been named on Prune many times). Is he FTRS?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure on his contract but he was a milkman before he joined up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    Not sure on his contract but he was a milkman before he joined up
    Cheers mate. Gotcha. That's impressive still being around after all that time.

I don't think the Fighter Pilot series did any of the participants any good in their careers, which is why I refuse to appear in anything. Ever. Recently had to disappoint a BBC cameraman who wanted to do a general shot of my workplace after panning across my desk. He just assumed I would want my 15 mins of fame, but I told him unless he could guarantee my face would be pixellated and the final cut submitted for approval it was going to be 'no-go'. He couldn't, and I refused to be in shot. In the end he had adjust his frames to comply with my wishes.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate. Gotcha. That's impressive still being around after all that time.

I don't think the Fighter Pilot series did any of the participants any good in their careers, which is why I refuse to appear in anything. Ever. Recently had to disappoint a BBC cameraman who wanted to do a general shot of my workplace after panning across my desk. He just assumed I would want my 15 mins of fame, but I told him unless he could guarantee my face would be pixellated and the final cut submitted for approval it was going to be 'no-go'. He couldn't, and I refused to be in shot. In the end he had adjust his frames to comply with my wishes.
    Fair one!

ReputationRep:
    Passed the C-BAT thankfully !
    Cheers for your advice guys, think it really helped (read , read and read again )
    Came up to nearly 9 hours and afterwards in the brief they told me I'd done great.
    Hit the pass marks for 8 roles, missed out on pilot by one specific categorie within the 6 needed. Also missed out on intelligence officer role and WSOp linguist

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for your advice guys, think it really helped (read , read and read again )
    Came up to nearly 9 hours and afterwards in the brief they told me I'd done great.
    Hit the pass marks for 8 roles, missed out on pilot by one specific categorie within the 6 needed. Also missed out on intelligence officer role and WSOp linguist
    Awesome mate well done! One of many hurdles out of the way 😉

ReputationRep:
    Good job Jamie. What's next for you?

I can't get my head round the way they do selection in 2017. In my day, you popped in to the AFCO for a wee chat, then a few weeks later dropped into OASC for the whole procedure. Medical and aptitude first - that culled a high percentage. Interview, a few more dropped out. Finally the group and individual problem solving, followed by hangar leadership exercises. Generally you heard the result after about a month. I applied in May, OASC in July, and started OCTU (poor man's IOT) the following January.

Seems a lot more convoluted these days, but probably saves the public purse a few quid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.