Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently Year 11 & need to decide on which a levels I'm taking pretty soon. I take GCSE art at the moment & am getting A*'s in it. However, I don't know whether to take art for A Levels too, my concern is that it'll be too time consuming & detract from my other subjects I'm taking (history & English literature). What is everyone's experience with this? Also, I'm undecided on what to do at university, so if I didn't take A Level art & then decided I wanted to take a creative course at university, would there be any way for me to enter? Would it be possible for me to build a portfolio to show my skills & do the year long foundation diploma course for example to get in?

ReputationRep:
    hey!

i was in the same boat as you during gcse art; and i'm currently in year 12. i do four subjects (one of which is art and the other is an animation-based project), and despite the fact i'm a fairly bad procrastinator, i am ahead in art by quite a bit.
    if you really enjoy art, you tend to find it becomes less of a chore to finish and work on your project, and more fun instead.
    as long as you can monitor your progress, determine exactly what you need to do, and stick to a schedule that means you can balance all of your subjects (which is much easier to do than everyone makes it out to be, honestly) - you'll be fine.
    it's up to you, really. i still don't really know what i want to do post-sixth form but i'm glad i took art. it's nice to enjoy your subjects at a'levels - and it becomes less daunting if you're willing to work hard.
    so, i'd say go for it. if you do: put a lot of work in at the start, before it gets too hectic. so far, in the like 5 months i've been at sixth form, it's been relatively relaxed. it's definitely a good habit to get the bulk of your research and observational drawings done at the start; because if you leave it too late you're going to end up quite swamped with work to do :+)
    (also - i don't know if you'd need to do a'level art to do an art-based course, i imagine it depends on the university. you probably want to check individual universities in order to figure that out.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renphobia)
    hey!

i was in the same boat as you during gcse art; and i'm currently in year 12. i do four subjects (one of which is art and the other is an animation-based project), and despite the fact i'm a fairly bad procrastinator, i am ahead in art by quite a bit.
    if you really enjoy art, you tend to find it becomes less of a chore to finish and work on your project, and more fun instead.
    as long as you can monitor your progress, determine exactly what you need to do, and stick to a schedule that means you can balance all of your subjects (which is much easier to do than everyone makes it out to be, honestly) - you'll be fine.
    it's up to you, really. i still don't really know what i want to do post-sixth form but i'm glad i took art. it's nice to enjoy your subjects at a'levels - and it becomes less daunting if you're willing to work hard.
    so, i'd say go for it. if you do: put a lot of work in at the start, before it gets too hectic. so far, in the like 5 months i've been at sixth form, it's been relatively relaxed. it's definitely a good habit to get the bulk of your research and observational drawings done at the start; because if you leave it too late you're going to end up quite swamped with work to do :+)
    (also - i don't know if you'd need to do a'level art to do an art-based course, i imagine it depends on the university. you probably want to check individual universities in order to figure that out.)
    Thanks so much for your reply! That's reassuring to hear!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydia Violeta)
    So I'm currently Year 11 & need to decide on which a levels I'm taking pretty soon. I take GCSE art at the moment & am getting A*'s in it. However, I don't know whether to take art for A Levels too, my concern is that it'll be too time consuming & detract from my other subjects I'm taking (history & English literature). What is everyone's experience with this? Also, I'm undecided on what to do at university, so if I didn't take A Level art & then decided I wanted to take a creative course at university, would there be any way for me to enter? Would it be possible for me to build a portfolio to show my skills & do the year long foundation diploma course for example to get in?

Hey Lydia Violeta,

If you really love art, I would definitely choose it. I have stuck with Art base subjects my whole life. From GCSEs to A-levels and now Uni.
    I agree with what Renphobia said, Art can be time consuming and you should balance it all out with your other subjects (if you choose it).

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you don't choose art. Most students that currently do art base subjects actually applies without any art base grades so if you do change your mind and want to go to uni to study art, you can build a portfolio to show off what you can do. If you do end up being in this position, I would recommend you do a foundation to build up more work on.
    My friend for example applied here at Ravensbourne with psychology, psychics and mathematics A-levels. They went onto a foundation and then they build a portfolio and got into studying animation!

Why don't you try visiting some universities? Some art base subject might inspire you into a future path. Who knows what you may pick up on the way.

If you are in London, you can check us out. (Click Here)
    I'll also leave the open day link here if you're interested in visiting.

Hope this helps and goodluck with your choice!
    Kay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravensbourne)
    Hey Lydia Violeta,

If you really love art, I would definitely choose it. I have stuck with Art base subjects my whole life. From GCSEs to A-levels and now Uni.
    I agree with what Renphobia said, Art can be time consuming and you should balance it all out with your other subjects (if you choose it).

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you don't choose art. Most students that currently do art base subjects actually applies without any art base grades so if you do change your mind and want to go to uni to study art, you can build a portfolio to show off what you can do. If you do end up being in this position, I would recommend you do a foundation to build up more work on.
    My friend for example applied here at Ravensbourne with psychology, psychics and mathematics A-levels. They went onto a foundation and then they build a portfolio and got into studying animation!

Why don't you try visiting some universities? Some art base subject might inspire you into a future path. Who knows what you may pick up on the way.

If you are in London, you can check us out. (Click Here)
    I'll also leave the open day link here if you're interested in visiting.

Hope this helps and goodluck with your choice!
    Kay
    Thank you so much for your reply! It's good to know that I could still go back to art & possibly do it at university still x

ReputationRep:
    I was feeling exactly the same as you & was nearly going to drop art but I realised how much I love it and thought that I'd honestly regret not taking it at a-level. I really can't see myself doing something that's not creative in the future. I also picked history & politics alongside so if I do change my mind at college I have another route to follow. By the way, if you decided not to pick art what subject would you have picked?

ReputationRep:
    I loved GCSE art and ended up with an A* but towards the end I found that I was far more interested in science so I chose maths and science A levels

Just go with what you enjoy the most - I've heard from friends that A level art is hard but if you enjoy it then go for it, I'm sure you'll find it a breeze
    Even if you found that you didn't want to pursue a creative career you could still enter a foundation course to catch up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am doing both English lit and history at A2, not art (there is not an artsy bone in my body) I would say pick subjects you like because if you are motivated and want to do the work then you should be fine. By doing it at a level you are still leaving the door open, whereas if you didn't then it could be harder to get on a creative course in the future
    Hope that helps in some way

Ps. I did 4 humanities at AS I know what it is like

(Original post by Lydia Violeta)
      Why do you want to take Art?

If it's because you want to study other people's work, then you should.

If it's because you are artistic and want to create, then you shouldn't. Art is self-expression, and the best way to do that is to explore and find out what you have to express, and how. Studying would just fill you up with other people's rules and ********, which would be more of a hinderance.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.