Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, basically I'm in last year of A Levels and have not applied last year/ this year. I will be applying this September as I want a gap year. Never bothered with deferred entry as I wanted to apply with my grades rather than predictions.

My worry is since I do plan to go abroad 2/3 times volunteering etc. Is when can I? Basically if I'm applying in September for universities (depending on grades) for institutions like Oxford. Would I need to be available for a long time before travelling like for interviews? Also universities with no interviews. Do I still need to be in the UK to deal with things? Confused on the process like offers, a accommodation and if I can travel without having to sort this all out.

Hope that made sense.

Thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron2515)
    Hi, basically I'm in last year of A Levels and have not applied last year/ this year. I will be applying this September as I want a gap year. Never bothered with deferred entry as I wanted to apply with my grades rather than predictions.

My worry is since I do plan to go abroad 2/3 times volunteering etc. Is when can I? Basically if I'm applying in September for universities (depending on grades) for institutions like Oxford. Would I need to be available for a long time before travelling like for interviews? Also universities with no interviews. Do I still need to be in the UK to deal with things? Confused on the process like offers, a accommodation and if I can travel without having to sort this all out.

Hope that made sense.

Thank you
    As long as you have internet access you just need to make sure you re in the country for interviews.

ReputationRep:
    In regards to the interview it just depends when you sent your UCAS application off. I sent mines off pretty early (1st week of Nov) and unis had replied back to me by the end of November. If you do happen to be volunteering at the time of the interview they usually allow you to rearrange; but this may vary on other interview dates and how many applicants they have for the course you've chosen.

(Original post by pearldaisy)
    In regards to the interview it just depends when you sent your UCAS application off. I sent mines off pretty early (1st week of Nov) and unis had replied back to me by the end of November. If you do happen to be volunteering at the time of the interview they usually allow you to rearrange; but this may vary on other interview dates and how many applicants they have for the course you've chosen.
    Thank you. Hopefully already with my grades and applying soon as I can early September. I should hear back rather quickly.

ReputationRep:

Hope that made sense.

Thank you
    Oxbridge interviews are all at the same time, can't remember exactly when but people in the Oxbridge forums will tell you. You would almost certainly need to be in the UK to attend should you get one. As far as the unis that don't interview go, you just need internet access to be able to check track and apply for accomodation.

(Original post by jelly1000)
    Oxbridge interviews are all at the same time, can't remember exactly when but people in the Oxbridge forums will tell you. You would almost certainly need to be in the UK to attend should you get one. As far as the unis that don't interview go, you just need internet access to be able to check track and apply for accomodation.
    Right okay thank you. Regarding accommodation can that be processed at a later date?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

Hope that made sense.

Thank you
    Oxbridge interviews are between end Nov to mid December, and yes you would be expected to be available. No interview = no offer.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Right okay thank you. Regarding accommodation can that be processed at a later date?
    Your college will usually provide accommodation if you need it for your interview stay. This can all be arranged when (if...) you are invited to interview. But note that you usually only get a couple of weeks notice about your actual interview date(s)*.

*Cambridge usually interviews you for 1 day only, whereas Oxford often takes 2 or 3 days to complete your interviews.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    On top of accommodation you'll need to apply for student finance between february and end May 2018 - this requires sending off proof of identity (and residence if you haven't been in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course) and then getting your parents to send off proof of income.

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/s...orm_1617_d.pdf is last years application form to give you an idea of what might be required (http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/s...tes_1617_d.pdf is the guidance notes) assuming you're in england - the forms and timing differ for NI/Scotland?wales residents). Note that with the full passport details you can avoid needing to send off your passport.

Arranging for a parent to have permissions on file with UCAS, all of your universities and student finance to speak on your behalf is worthwhile (if you trust them ) - otherwise you could end up with some expensive international phone calls if things get a bit complicated.

ReputationRep:
    do you mean accomodation as in a halls room for first year? usually you have a deadline to apply by and then nearer your start date the uni will give you an offer which you have a certain number of days to accept & pay deposit by otherwise you loose the room. Some universities do it differently though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.