Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the point of life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonlikelime)
    Lol I'm sorry I looked back at what I had written and I didn't quite understand it either
    That's true. I hope I don't sound rude when I say this (I don't know how this will come across), but I think there's a point at which philosophy can only do so much, and after that you have to find "inner peace" by yourself (cliche as that sounds - I'm still struggling with that and I think most people do in one way or another). After all, just having a "love for wisdom" doesn't make us wise. (i know that sounds more like some modern hippie stuff.. but it does have some element of truth to it )
    It's like that thread that someone posted some time ago about agreeing with the idea that heaven/hell doesn't exist but not being happy with it.

I did a mini stalk of your profile (no creep intended) and saw you did philosophy a level! Lol no wonder you know your stuff - my knowledge comes from youtube and sparknotes so I apologise if some of what I say sounds a bit naive or "unphilosophical"

Lol trust a stoic to make a wise observation on life as his own was being ended - but I do get it, the context+situation gives more depth to/understanding of the quote. The greeks are so interesting aha.

Okay if you're sure :-) Maybe you could type/write up everything that's going wrong to get it off your chest and just delete the document. I do that sometimes - it works for some.
    I don't think it's rude, philosophy really can only get people so far. For every single philosophical theory, an element of belief is still required. There is always a point where you just have to say "I follow this theory because I believe it" because proofs only get you so far. Especially with human existence seeing how fragile a topic it is.

Haha yeah I'm stil doing philosophy A-Level but we don't cover existentialism I myself only know it from videos and reading about online + books. Dw I feel I always sound unphilosophical, and if I were having this convo with a degre-level philosophy grad it would show

Haha thank you, I guess that could help I'll consider doing it x)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I don't think it's rude, philosophy really can only get people so far. For every single philosophical theory, an element of belief is still required. There is always a point where you just have to say "I follow this theory because I believe it" because proofs only get you so far. Especially with human existence seeing how fragile a topic it is.

Haha yeah I'm stil doing philosophy A-Level but we don't cover existentialism I myself only know it from videos and reading about online + books. Dw I feel I always sound unphilosophical, and if I were having this convo with a degre-level philosophy grad it would show

Haha thank you, I guess that could help I'll consider doing it x)
    Yeah. As rational and logical we can try to be, the way we live and what we believe is ultimately subjective. Ooh, slightly unrelated but reminds me of something (not sure if this is something "officially known" or "thought") - humans are really ironic because we have the ability to rationalise and evaluate our actions and behaviour, but are still largely controlled by our (sometimes primal) feelings and desire, leaving us susceptible to feelings of guilt at the consequences of some of our actions. Almost like a curse; animals with the capacity for morality.

Eek that was a bit depressing sorry

haha well the number of times I said "I feel" and "I think" in my last post made me wonder if I'm explaining logic or emotion
    Btw I highly recommend Philosophy Tube (youtube channel), the guy tends to explain some things covered in a level philosophy I believe (according to a friend)!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. As rational and logical we can try to be, the way we live and what we believe is ultimately subjective. Ooh, slightly unrelated but reminds me of something (not sure if this is something "officially known" or "thought" - humans are really ironic because we have the ability to rationalise and evaluate our actions and behaviour, but are still largely controlled by our (sometimes primal) feelings and desire, leaving us susceptible to feelings of guilt at the consequences of some of our actions. Almost like a curse; animals with the capacity for morality.

Eek that was a bit depressing sorry

haha well the number of times I said "I feel" and "I think" in my last post made me wonder if I'm explaining logic or emotion
    Btw I highly recommend Philosophy Tube (youtube channel), the guy tends to explain some things covered in a level philosophy I believe (according to a friend)!
    Yeah exactly, rationality only gets people so far A good example of this is the paradox of Buridan's ass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass - rationality will not work.

I've heard of him before, I jus checked dout his youtube channel and he has got quite a few good vids. I don't see enough on philosophy of mind though which sucks x)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly, rationality only gets people so far A good example of this is the paradox of Buridan's ass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass - rationality will not work.

I've heard of him before, I jus checked dout his youtube channel and he has got quite a few good vids. I don't see enough on philosophy of mind though which sucks x)
    I checked out the paradox. I understand that it's theoretical lol, but surely the whole point of being human is that we can make a rational decision to drink first and eat second (or vice versa)??

Mmm I know, there's a lot of real life application philosophy on there tbh. I don't mean to keep throwing suggestions at you, but for philosophy of mind it may be worth looking at this channel called "The school of life" (cringey title i know - https://www.youtube.com/user/schoolo...w=1&shelf_id=0). It is, I believe, aimed at people who don't necessarily do philosophy, but the ideas are there. Also, Crash Course (their philosophy playlist) is really really good!! That's where I generally start << and that as a number of videos on personal identity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_C...dYldNkMybYIHKR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil fever)
    ...like what is the point?
    Spoiler:
    Show

and no-one writes to go on TSR

To be happy? The real point is to reproduce i guess and carry on our vile species survival. If we are just cells then there isn't really any other point. But we are the only ones here in the universe so surely we have a point? Its quite selfish to believe that each individual has a purpose too, how can every single human being have their own point and purpose? Surely therefore we don't and we have to discover our own one for carrying on living

ReputationRep:
    I checked out the paradox. I understand that it's theoretical lol, but surely the whole point of being human is that we can make a rational decision to drink first and eat second (or vice versa)??

Mmm I know, there's a lot of real life application philosophy on there tbh. I don't mean to keep throwing suggestions at you, but for philosophy of mind it may be worth looking at this channel called "The school of life" (cringey title i know - https://www.youtube.com/user/schoolo...w=1&shelf_id=0). It is, I believe, aimed at people who don't necessarily do philosophy, but the ideas are there. Also, Crash Course (their philosophy playlist) is really really good!! That's where I generally start << and that as a number of videos on personal identity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_C...dYldNkMybYIHKR
    Well it's not rational is it, there's no rational reason to pick one over the other - you pick based on preference The only rational conclusion is in the long run you will die from thirst quicker than hunger.

I am a fan of the School of Life, I have watched many of their videos and they're definitely good summaries. Likewise I made use of the Crash Course playlist for the moral philosophy they did and something to do with brain identity earlier.

It's fine to make suggestions, I enjoy philosophy that's presented in a non-stale way
    --
    also i hope u enjoy my sig x)

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not rational is it, there's no rational reason to pick one over the other - you pick based on preference The only rational conclusion is in the long run you will die from thirst quicker than hunger.

I am a fan of the School of Life, I have watched many of their videos and they're definitely good summaries. Likewise I made use of the Crash Course playlist for the moral philosophy they did and something to do with brain identity earlier.

It's fine to make suggestions, I enjoy philosophy that's presented in a non-stale way
    --
    also i hope u enjoy my sig x)
    Yes I know aha but surely you can just drink and then eat? Why do you have to die?!

Oh nice! Yeah they're great <3 I think the school of life was where I started getting into philosophy actually :-)

I'm sorry I don't think I understand aha - sig? signature? suggestion?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know aha but surely you can just drink and then eat? Why do you have to die?!

Oh nice! Yeah they're great <3 I think the school of life was where I started getting into philosophy actually :-)

I'm sorry I don't think I understand aha - sig? signature? suggestion?
    You don't have to die, but it's about the fact that when you have to come up with a rational reason for choosing between two equally necessary things, you can't (well I did by pointing to the fact you'd die quicker without water BUT THAT ASIDE) and so you have to choose based on emotion.

Oh yes, signature. It doesn't show in this thread so I'll c+p

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    To breathe in memes

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to die, but it's about the fact that when you have to come up with a rational reason for choosing between two equally necessary things, you can't (well I did by pointing to the fact you'd die quicker without water BUT THAT ASIDE) and so you have to choose based on emotion.

Oh yes, signature. It doesn't show in this thread so I'll c+p

Sorry about the late reply! I was going to but have been ill for the past few days

Maybe I'm being a bit slow here - but that's a picture. Do you use that as a signature ? Is it something you put in all your posts?

About the problem itself. It's interesting.. I don't know to be honest. the moral part of me is like "No! I have to stay there and keep switching the lever" but the more logical part of me says "What's the point? Better end the misery than prolong it"
    I know it's similar to the myth of sisyphus, however the difference is that there are 5 people to consider. I think ultimately, if all 5 people agree that it's easier to die than keep hoping, it makes sense to leave, but how could you leave if even 1 of the 5 people beg you not to?
    The two options seem like (to me, but maybe I'm reading too much into it lol) the options an absurdist would have (not including Camus' solution) - give up the inherently futile action and leave (commit suicide) or to keep pulling the lever hoping things change (take a leap of faith).
    What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the late reply! I was going to but have been ill for the past few days

Maybe I'm being a bit slow here - but that's a picture. Do you use that as a signature ? Is it something you put in all your posts?

About the problem itself. It's interesting.. I don't know to be honest. the moral part of me is like "No! I have to stay there and keep switching the lever" but the more logical part of me says "What's the point? Better end the misery than prolong it"
    I know it's similar to the myth of sisyphus, however the difference is that there are 5 people to consider. I think ultimately, if all 5 people agree that it's easier to die than keep hoping, it makes sense to leave, but how could you leave if even 1 of the 5 people beg you not to?
    The two options seem like (to me, but maybe I'm reading too much into it lol) the options an absurdist would have (not including Camus' solution) - give up the inherently futile action and leave (commit suicide) or to keep pulling the lever hoping things change (take a leap of faith).
    What would you do?

What would you do?
    On forums, a "signature" is the area below your post. It doesn't show up in some subforums.. in fact checking random threads I can't actually see any with the signatures hmm. Ok here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post69648790 e.g. the image underneath his post is the signature area The image I c +pd is in my signature area.

Are you aware of the trolley problem in ethics? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem The image I pasted is a joking variation of it based upon absurdism ! There are 5 people simply because the original problem has 5 (or 3) people in it.

But to take the problem seriously, I think neither option satisifies the aburdist (which is really the point) - doing it over and over again represents obviously Sisyphus and his stone, yet simply doing nothing and giving up represents the suicide which Camus rejects. Taken seriously I guess you could just it to promote absurdism (as it is a much simpler form of Sisyphus's stone).

If I could give my answer though, probably keep pulling the lever. Whilst the outcome is inevitable we can at least try to make the most of what life we still have and try to view things positively (whilst nearly being killed by a train...somehow) until our eventual decay.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy it. Destroy anyone who stops you.

ReputationRep:
    On forums, a "signature" is the area below your post. It doesn't show up in some subforums.. in fact checking random threads I can't actually see any with the signatures hmm. Ok here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post69648790 e.g. the image underneath his post is the signature area The image I c +pd is in my signature area.

Are you aware of the trolley problem in ethics? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem The image I pasted is a joking variation of it based upon absurdism ! There are 5 people simply because the original problem has 5 (or 3) people in it.

But to take the problem seriously, I think neither option satisifies the aburdist (which is really the point) - doing it over and over again represents obviously Sisyphus and his stone, yet simply doing nothing and giving up represents the suicide which Camus rejects. Taken seriously I guess you could just it to promote absurdism (as it is a much simpler form of Sisyphus's stone).

If I could give my answer though, probably keep pulling the lever. Whilst the outcome is inevitable we can at least try to make the most of what life we still have and try to view things positively (whilst nearly being killed by a train...somehow) until our eventual decay.
    Ohh i see! (about what a signature is)

Ahah I am aware of the trolley problem and I did recognise the similarity but I didn't realise it was meant to be a joking variation. I thought it was just something you'd come up with to portray the myth of sisyphus lol my bad!

ReputationRep:
    Ohh i see! (about what a signature is)

Ahah I am aware of the trolley problem and I did recognise the similarity but I didn't realise it was meant to be a joking variation. I thought it was just something you'd come up with to portray the myth of sisyphus lol my bad!
    Ohhh I see, yeah I grabbed it from a collection of joking variations of the trolley problem. I'm nowhere near committed to philosophy enough to do something like that !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.